Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live London 2008

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Re: Whisky Live London 2008

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:38 pm

Paul A Jellis wrote:I shall be there on Saturday, you will be able to recognise me as I shall be the best looking person there.

Pehaps a table could be reserved for Forum Members, were we could meet during the days.

Paul if you are wearing your kilt I'll know it's you. As I've met Dave Broom and know what he looks like. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby arkle » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:10 pm

Question: When you attend WL do you have a 'Game Plan'( I try to, but sometimes it doesnt work. I ve never tried Bourbon/Rye and wondering whether I should ?
arkle
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:25 pm

arkle wrote:Question: When you attend WL do you have a 'Game Plan'( I try to, but sometimes it doesnt work. I ve never tried Bourbon/Rye and wondering whether I should ?

Definetly I tried Sazerac Rye 8 year old for the first time at last years. I ended up buying a bottle. My game plan last year was go for Japan. :)
les taylor

Postby RufusA » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:28 pm

arkle wrote:Question: When you attend WL do you have a 'Game Plan'.

I try, but often fail getting distracted with pretty bottles and smooth banter. For the last 3 years I've tried to visit the compass box stand, but to date haven't. Hanyu, Penderyn and Buffalo Trace being equally to blame.

Every year I plan to make notes, take photos, listen intelligently, not feel the need to drink every sample to the bottom of the glass. I then arrive home to find I've just written down two whiskys, have a bag full of leaflets for things I don't remember tasting, and my camera is still in my pocket unused.

As for Bourbon / Rye, if you don't try it, you are shutting off a whole world of whiskey.

Personally The Old Rip Van Winkle doesn't do a lot for me.

However I did like Buffalo Trace. Their Eagle Rare bourbon was nice, complex and quite close in style to Scottish Malts. However their Sazerac (an aged Rye) blew my socks off. The long dry peppery finish is like nothing else I've drunk, and I'm hoping they are back this year!

This year will be different, I'll be organised and methodical :roll: :sleep: :coffee:

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby arkle » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:39 pm

Haa, I know the feeling,you try to resist the heavily peated to preserve your palate at the begining of the day,and two stands in your downing the Ardbeg and asking what else they have hidden!I try to make notes, but looking back they are not very comprehensive. Last year I noted there were not many spitoons (so I had to use a plastic cup) cant drink all of the samples! :dead:
arkle
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:43 pm

After meeting them at Limburg, I have to say that the Compass Box people are more than worthy of a visit!

Don't get distracted, visit them first.
You'll not be disappointed.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby WhiskyBrat » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:00 pm

If you're visiting WL London then you can enter this http://www.mbdlive.com/ to win Bowmore, Suntory and lots more Morrison Bowmore prizes. Attendees only though :x
WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Postby aljones » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:47 pm

WhiskyBrat wrote:If you're visiting WL London then you can enter this http://www.mbdlive.com/ to win Bowmore, Suntory and lots more Morrison Bowmore prizes. Attendees only though :x

Thanks to WhiskyBrat for the heads-up on this competition.

I signed up this morning and received notification that I am a winner this afternoon.

I'll fly from Denmark to London Saturday morning and pick up my prize.

And, yes, I had planned to go to Whisky Live anyway. It would take more than 10 miniatures to get me to book a trip to London (but not much more!).

Al Jones
aljones

Postby RufusA » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:09 pm

Congratulations Al.

With 10 Bowmore minatures at your disposal I am sure you'll make lots of new friends as WL ( :iwbrnt: ). May bump in to you there - I presume you'll be the one with 9 members of the forum crowding round you like seagulls following a trawler!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:05 am

lawschooldrunk wrote:I also won but won't be able to make it. is anyone who lives next to woodhill going? that way, you can pick it up for me and give it to him to hold for me? or could you possibly ship it to me???

I'd be most appreciative to the one that can help me out. I'll forward my winning email for you to print out so you can pick it up from the bowmore booth.

pretty please?

LSD I'm going on saturday I'm already picking up 7 bottles for folks here one more won't hurt. I'd happily send it on.
les taylor

Postby martin grant » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:24 am

Hope everyone who is going along this weekend has a great time. Look forward to reading all your reports
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 am

martin grant wrote:Hope everyone who is going along this weekend has a great time. Look forward to reading all your reports

Martin hopefully some pictures as well. :)
les taylor

Postby RufusA » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:36 am

Friday review:

A little disappointing. Saw a few familiar faces, but underwhelmed by the number of exhibitors this year, and those that were there didn't have too much that was new / exciting to show this year!

There were some nice drams around, especially the hidden ones :iwbrnt: but having bought a 2 day ticket I think I'm going to be struggling to occupy the Saturday!

Vouchers - well I started with 5, and seem to have left with 8 (many thanks to the unknown beneficiary)! There are more posters, threats etc, about vouchers, but IMHO if you show an interest very few stands ask for them with any seriousness.

Highlight for me so far, was chewing the cud with Willie Tate (Jura/Dalmore)!

Most annoying thing - the 2 min tannoys for whisky tastings, tickets, cocktail exhibitions etc. that seem to interupt your dram with amazing ear piercing regularity!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby Sean » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:44 pm

My wife also had great news on winning the Morrison Bowmore comp but unfortunate family news means neither of us are going to be able to make it to the show this year (role on glasgow).

The confirmation of winning email from Ewan said that prize had to be collected but did anyone else notice on the entry form that they were advitising that prizes could either be collected or posted out??

Fingers crossed that we'll receive it in the post especially as this weekend is already going down hill fast.

Enjoy the show and have a dram for us.

Sean
Sean

Postby RufusA » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:08 pm

Sean,
Congrats on winning and hope family news is positive, you have my thoughts FWIW at chez Sean. If you'd posted earlier I'd offered to collect for you. Saturday has been okay, but I think a resounding 5-6/10. Nothing spectatular but I now have a cheeky 50cl bottle of CS (red!!) Glenmorangie in my bag thanks to Bill, and a rather chewy taste palate thanks to all the other exhibitors!
Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:08 am

Missed you both days Rufus, your score is understandable... but it was still a good couple of days hopefully.
Matt2

Postby RufusA » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:26 am

Matt Page wrote:Missed you both days Rufus, your score is understandable... but it was still a good couple of days hopefully.

T'was indeed a good couple of days (there aren't many days in the calendar where you get to drink whisky all day with some of the top guys in the business)!

Suprised you missed me though, and rather :oops: as there was someone whom I thought was you and ! talked to at reasonable length on both days! If it wasn't you I wonder which poor s0d in a suit at WL I've been calling Matt!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby woodhill » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:09 pm

No one got any pictures to put up yet?

Les?

8)
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby suffolkwhisky » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:38 pm

No pictures as there wasn't that much to see!

Enjoyed:
Ardbeg Mor
Ardbeg Renaissance
Glenlivet Eclipse
Glenlivet 25
Talisker 30
Rosebank 25

Ao maybe not too bad
suffolkwhisky

Postby Matt2 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:25 am

RufusA wrote: in a suit at WL I've been calling Matt!

It probably was me then, but I must have thought you were someone else, Les perhaps, did I call you Peter? All very confusing. :oops: :mrgreen:
Matt2

Previous

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder