Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live 2008 Review

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Whisky Live 2008 Review

Postby arkle » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:17 pm

Hi Guys,
Cant believe no one has reported back yet in any detail (unless I've missed it)
Here are my observations
I too was disappointed with the number of exhibitors but was able to fill the whole day adequately!Some of the highlights for me.................
In no particular order; Talisker 57o N was stunning, floral nose loads of soft smoke and licorice on the palate and a very long finish, definatley worth buying.
Compass Box Canto cask 46, 53.2% American oak with toasted heads, sweet nose,sweet almonds. T- Sweet almond,bitter almond,primroses!. F -short and sweet.
Compass Box Maximus 50.1%vatted grain,Carsebridge 28yrs and Invergordon 42yrs. N -fruity,dried fruits ,a little citrus, T-Raisins,vanilla,orange peel, glace fruits,very full mouth feel, F- long, just went on and on. (I had never tasted grain before and this was sensational, it was more than 3D, more like 4D wow!!)In fact it was the best thing in the show IMHO
Duncan Taylor Cameronbridge 28yo 54.4% N -Toffee, crunchie,honeycomb.T-fruityfreshmelon,sherbert,guava.F-long sweet finish.
Duncan Taylor Glenlivet 37yo, (bourbon cask)N- floral and delicate ,spring flowers, T-sherbert lemons,lemon zest,violets,clover honey,machair. F- long and wonderful ,well composed,absolutely brilliant.
Brora 30yo,long and warm ,goes on and on 55.7%. N Creamy,slight honey, T- Huge ,bursting with spice,cloves,honey. F-Long and spicy goes on and on with a little licorice at the finish.

Those were my highlights in the tasting, and I met some great people too, thank you Ardbeg for the book,Graham Logie from Lagavulin for the craic,Gregg Glass at Compass Box for the chance to try those great whiskies! Slainte :thumbsup:
arkle
Bronze Member

Re: Whisky Live 2008 Review

Postby TreacleSponge » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:38 pm

Sounds like you had a great time, Arkle. Did you get to any of the masterclasses? I haven't seen anyone mention anything about them yet.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby RufusA » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:23 am

I did the Glenmorangie Masterclass (was going to do the Rising Sons, but Dave Broom was unwell, and rather than facing Rob, Matt was ameanable to a swapsy).

Bill Lumsden was in fine form, though his silk patterened shirt clashed with the new kaleidoscopes!

Six whiskies, five of which were pretty much as billed:

The (new) Original, Lasanta, Quinta Ruban, Nectar D'Or an 18YO (I think), and the sixth a CS which has been finished in an unusual cask (which may have once housed *red* wine)!

Got a test run of the new visual and sound kaleidoscopes which were helpful, particularly with Bill walking through them. Available on their website if you haven't seen them. Strange emphasis on plump lips, women in the rain, I hope the fifteen men of Tain are taking regular cold showers!

All in all very enjoyable, the new range is defenitely worth tasting if you haven't and it was great to have them all there in front of you to see what a difference a finish can make. Bill is also always good value for money!

Glenmo news wise, the CS we sampled might find it's way in to a bottling, and Glenmo have secured a chunk of money from LVMH to increase capacity (more washbacks stills etc.)

No tasting notes from the masterclass, but for me the striking thing in this new range is the mouth texture not so much the flavours. Everything is also similar to the old range, just more-so (like looking through freshly cleaned windows)!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby ikendal » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:43 pm

I'm not much good at this reviewing business.

I went on Firday, It was thin on the ground in terms of companies so spent a long time with BBR and throughly enjoyed their range. it was also thin in terms of people, not very busy (which was nice.)

Really enjoyed the cocktails, went back twice. And the coffee was amazing. Hats off to the lady on the stalls.
Food was a little better but the mead still only covered half the bread!.

Back to whisky. sampled a good range, very impressed with Cooley 15yo blend - wow. and the glenlivet stand was very generous. being a gaurdian I enjoy my special dram(Thank you) and the Eclipse was also very special.

Master class was ... well I enjoyed trying a 28yo port elen and a 30yo Bora. but nothing new was said. the gentlemen tried very hard but I was not stimualted. as classes go I did not learn anything.

Back to Glenlivet - it was fantastic to try chocolate with the whisky and I think I will see a return of more glenlivet bottles to my shelves.

Compass box - what wonderful people, John is an excellent host and had a hard time chatting to everyone (at one point holding three conversations at once - while making each one feel valued)

Had a good chat with some wonderful people.

the voucher business is still a joke, but it is time I have to accept it.

I hope that gives you all a flavour.
Finally plenty of water - thank you
ikendal
Bronze Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:40 pm

[quote="RufusA"]I did the Glenmorangie Masterclass (was going to do the Rising Sons, but Dave Broom was unwell, and rather than facing Rob, Matt was ameanable to a swapsy).

Well cheers for that Rufus - in my hour (or 45mins) of need standing in for Dave. :o Mr Broom is a hard act to follow.
But glad you enjoyed Bill's class.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby RufusA » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:48 pm

Rob Allanson wrote:Well cheers for that Rufus - in my hour (or 45mins) of need standing in for Dave. :o Mr Broom is a hard act to follow.
But glad you enjoyed Bill's class.

:oops:

I hear you did an excellent job as a last minute stand in, and someone I bumped in to afterwards was enthusing about one of the whiskies at great length in the main hall!

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:15 pm

Thanks Rufus. There were some stunning whiskies in the line up, especially a heavily peated Yamazaki that was mind-blowing.
I enjoyed doing the class but realise the shock people got finding me and not the Master.... :D
Rob Allanson
Editor

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder