Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live Glasgow 2008

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Whisky Live Glasgow 2008

Postby Matt2 » Mon May 19, 2008 3:03 pm

Whisky Live Glasgow 2008

Whisky Live is returning to Glasgow for its fifth year on Friday 31st October and Saturday 1st November making the show an ideal pre-Christmas expedition. Whisky Live Glasgow is Scotland's whisky tasting event of the year, bringing all the very best whiskies of the world to one event. With expert advice on hand and the opportunity to learn about the whisky basics, Whisky Live Glasgow is intended to provide the ultimate whisky experience for the enthusiast and novice. The whisky experiences, Masterclasses, live music, stage and delicious food all make Whisky Live Glasgow a memorable day out.

For more information and tickets visit the Whisky Live web site at :
http://www.whiskylive.com/scotland/glasgow-2008/
Matt2

Re: Whisky Live Glasgow 2008

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:02 pm

Too bad the dates were changed. Last year will have been my final visit to Whisky Live.
I'll be attending http://www.perthshireamber.com/ instead 8)
Mind you, I'm not altogether sure I'll actually miss WL. It's too big now IMHO and of the three I've been to previously, last year had lost the intimacy of previous events. It also seemed that there were less whisky and more "non-whisky" stalls emerging.
Hope it's good for those who attend though :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:23 pm

Last year I didn't even manage to get round all the whisky stands I wanted, so I was happy with how many there were. I don't like big busy places and this didn't feel like that to me because everyone was really chatty (perhaps why I didn't get round so many!) So I'll be going again, and hope it's as much fun as last year.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby andyt » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:28 pm

Once again The Stranglers are playing Glasgow at the same time as Whisky Live is in town :thumbsup: Surely this proves the existence of a just and benevolent god?
andyt
Silver Member

Postby Rosebankfan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:31 pm

I have been to every WL in Glasgow and last year also made it over to Leiden. I'm sorry to say but the Glasgow experience was poor in my opinion compared to Leiden. The Leiden venue was fantastic - large ornate cathedral in the centre of town and the selection of whisky on offer was amazing. Both use a voucher system but Leiden seemed more relaxed about enforcing it and most exhibitors had a few standard drams for no change - this seemed much fairer to me. It may not suit everyone but I liked the fact that there were a number of independent sellers at Leiden who had a range of non-current and rare bottlings for sale by the dram - this allowed us to taste some rare old drams which we would never get the chance to sample - and they seemed pretty reasonably priced too if I remember well.

In my opinion WL Glasgow has gone down hill over the last couple of years - moving to the SECC later in the year is a mistake as far as I am concerned. Moving out of the marquee in George Square in Sept has, I feel, diluted the experience - the SECC will never be a great venue for anything other than concerts and I feel that an air conditioned auditorium certainly does not suit an event based on flavour/taste. We have voted not to go to Glasgow this year and will instead pool our money and buy some bottles for a tasting night. It is a shame as I would love to be able to say that the Glasgow event is the premier event of the WL circuit but, sadly, it is not in my experience.

Rosebankfan
Rosebankfan

Postby fishboy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:27 pm

I see the first confirmed exhibitor for WL Glasgow 2008 has been listed....

Mackmyra - more to follow hopefully.

I'm yet to buy my ticket for this year (plenty of time yet), but I'll probably go once again.

FB
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:55 pm

I'll be going to the Saturday only. Am I likely to miss anything different on the Friday other than maybe different masterclasses?
Deactivated Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:43 am

butephoto wrote:I'll be going to the Saturday only. Am I likely to miss anything different on the Friday other than maybe different masterclasses?

Yes, me! :P
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:35 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:
butephoto wrote:I'll be going to the Saturday only. Am I likely to miss anything different on the Friday other than maybe different masterclasses?

Well, obviously that's the main attraction and went without saying!
Deactivated Member

Postby martin grant » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:45 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:

Hopefully I'll be there for the Friday also. I'll the tall, dark, exceptionally handsome fellow!

:wink:
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby fishboy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:52 pm

martin grant wrote:
TreacleSponge wrote:

Hopefully I'll be there for the Friday also. I'll the tall, dark, exceptionally handsome fellow!

Martin, you must look just like me!!! :wink:

I've booked my tickets and will be there both days

FB
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:49 pm

fishboy wrote:
martin grant wrote:Hopefully I'll be there for the Friday also. I'll the tall, dark, exceptionally handsome fellow!

Martin, you must look just like me!!! :wink:

And I'll be the short, blonde, ugly guy that likes to pretend to be a woman on the webernet :insane:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:01 am

I would like to attend another WL, but the SECC that late in the year is not a possibility for me.

I hope you all enjoy it and also whatever Matt organises for forum members.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:51 am

Just bought my ticket for the Saturday so who'll all be there on that day?
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:07 am

If we'd been smart about this we could have booked the tickets in a block booking and saved the 20%. Probably too late now.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:28 am

:headbang:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:29 am

Maybe forum users could've got a discount code and that would've been our freebie for being members?
Deactivated Member

Postby andyt » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:39 pm

I will certainly be there on the Saturday, hopefully the Friday too but depends on work.
andyt
Silver Member

Postby Dram fine idea » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:27 pm

I'm looking forward to it, followed possibly by an excursion to Islay with the Queen of the Moorlands group. I'd better get my ticket.
Dram fine idea
Bronze Member

Postby John McGill » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:22 pm

A few people have said they're going on the Saturday. Anyone going on the Friday and for those that have been before is there enough to see and do to make it worthwhile going both days (suppose it might depend on the master classes?).
John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:34 pm

I haven't purchased any tickets yet John, but I will be aiming for both days. Should be fun. :thumbsup:
Willie JJ

Postby John McGill » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:51 pm

For those that are going; are you going for the combined Good Food show tickets? (or is food for wimps :lol: )
John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:56 pm

I prefer to eat before I go to these things because once you get there, there are so many drams and so little time.
Willie JJ

Postby TreacleSponge » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:04 pm

I got combined tickets last year but scooted round the Food Show pretty quickly - I found it boring really. But lots and lots of people were having a great time there, buying kitchen gadgets and cleaning stuff and jars of whatevers to eat.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby fishboy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:33 am

I'm trying to persuade a couple of work colleagues to attend WL Glasgow on the Saturday. Even though they are both big Malt drinkers I'm finding it pretty tough going when there are only two confirmed exhibitors.

Any idea when the exhibitor list will be updated?

FB
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby fishboy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:27 pm

Exhibitor list for WL Glasgow has now been updated! Certainly looking better, although I hope more independent bottlers are planning to attend the show. There is just Duncan Taylor confirmed so far (no sign of Douglas Laing, Gordon & MacPhail or my particular favorites the Scott's selection boys from Speyside Distillers from previous years). IMHO the IB's add a lot to the enjoyment of the show and I hope more are confirmed in the next few weeks.

The 10 Year Old Macallan looks very tempting. Also great to see Four Roses giving Glasgow a go!

Only 7 weeks to go!!!! :)
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby fishboy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:47 pm

Some of the WL Glasgow Masterclasses have been announced.

Already booked mine! :P

FB
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:03 pm

fishboy wrote:Some of the WL Glasgow Masterclasses have been announced.

Already booked mine! :P

FB

I bet the Ardbeg one will soon sell out. That looks a good line up so far and still a few weeks before the show. Very good.
les taylor

Postby JCSkinner » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:24 pm

Can anyone recommend accommodation in the vicinity of the event? I don't want to have to stagger too far to my bed!
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby Leither » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:05 pm

Near the SECC my choice would be the City Inn:

http://www.cityinn.com/glasgow/

Alternatively the Crowne Plaza would be fine too, both are handy.

However, personally I'd prefer to stay nearer to the city centre.

Enjoy!
Leither
Gold Member

Postby The Dazzler » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:29 pm

I stayed at campanile last year was very good, just next to City Inn and SECC.

http://www.campanile.com/hotel/en/hotel-013252.htm

SECC is fairly close to city centre, you can walk to central station in 25mins for instance with plenty watering holes on the way. Previously have stayed in the Travel Inns in Glasgow, the one off George Sq is perfect, (especially when WL was in George SQ)

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:28 am

Cheers for the recommendations, lads. WL Glasgow coincides with my holidays, so I'm looking to make an appearance. Hope to see some of you there.
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby JCSkinner » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:26 pm

Was there any conclusion to the debate about doing something for forum members at Glasgow?
And if not, who's going to be there and would ye be interested in putting faces to usernames over a few drams during the event?
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby John McGill » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:22 am

Willie JJ wrote:I haven't purchased any tickets yet John, but I will be aiming for both days. Should be fun. :thumbsup:

Just booked tickets for both days and a couple of masterclass on the Friday (Glenmorangie & Ardbeg). Might do the Laphroaig MC on the Saturday if it's still available.

Anyone else going either day?
John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby andyt » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:50 pm

JCSkinner wrote:Was there any conclusion to the debate about doing something for forum members at Glasgow?
And if not, who's going to be there and would ye be interested in putting faces to usernames over a few drams during the event?

I will be there on the Saturday and I would really like to meet up with some forum members but how will we recognise each other? pink carnations are so passe don't you think?
andyt
Silver Member

Next

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder