Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live Leiden 2008

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Whisky Live Leiden 2008

Postby Eric m » Fri May 23, 2008 9:10 pm

In November Whisky Live Leiden,the Netherlands is held,4 sessions only and no more than 1000 persons per session allowed. Tickets are already now available for those who would like to be there, be quick http://www.whiskyfestival.nl

Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Re: Whisky Live Leiden 2008

Postby rdgill » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:34 pm

I am unable to buy tickets for the event on line as I cannot use my credit or debit cards and do not have a Dutch bank account
rdgill

Postby Eric m » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:16 pm

Did you already tried the iban-number?Just contact them by e-mail.
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby rdgill » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:04 pm

I do not bank with any of the banks shown on the list. Here in the UK we usually use credit or debit cards ie. Visa or Mastertcard on a secure site to buy over the internet. Please can you let me know how I can buy tickets.
rdgill

Postby Eric m » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:51 pm

I can give you the following to contact them;
e-mail info@whiskysociety.nl
phone 0031713313310 (tuesday and thursday only 09.30/17.30)
fax 0031713311230

Good luck.
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby Sean » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:45 pm

For the last couple of years they've been kind enough to aloow us to reserve a ticket and pay on the door due to the problems of international money transfers

You'll not be dissapointed as it's a great event.
Sean

Postby Rosebankfan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:42 pm

The event in Leiden is brilliant. We went over from the homeland last year and had a terrific event. The laid back Dutch atmosphere was all prevasive and the overall feel was one of chilled out reverance for the cratur......so much better than the Glasgow event, unfortunately. We are looking at going again this year but the Whisky Fringe beckons tomorrow, so let's see what that brings first.

Just had a Caol Ila 18 and then a Rare malt 1972 Teaninich at a friends BBQ tonight, so I'm on a high at the moment. All the best

Rosebankfan.
Rosebankfan

Postby rdgill » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:45 am

Many thanks for your helpful advice but I still consider that the event should be freely available to all and not just for those able to pay for tickets using the Dutch banking system ie the Dutch. As it happens I have managed to arrange for a friend living in Holland to buy tickets so I shall be there to enjoy the atmosphere and of course the whisky. I have especially been enjoying a special edition 'Rebus' 20 year old Highland Park I won in London last year and fully intend to sample the 30 year old.
Maybe see you in Leiden.
rdgill

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:51 pm

rdgill wrote:............ but I still consider that the event should be freely available to all and not just for those able to pay for tickets using the Dutch banking system ie the Dutch. ..........

Firstly it is freely available for all to attend but the method of paying is just something you have to get used to. Dutch & German retailers work this way alot and it is their prerogative to use traditional methods of doing business (It appears that accepting absentee credit cards is not a wide spread practice) . May not be an up to date method from our point of view but you need to respect local customs (so to speak) and not expect them to change just because it does not suit you.

I have dealt with many German, Dutch & French vendors that require payment through their Bank accounts. At first I too thought it was weird and annoying. However once you get used to it, it is a simple procedure. It may take a bit of time (Usually 5 days to clear) but all you have to do is send a written instruction to you bank branch instructing them to make a credit transfer from you account to the Dutch or German account using the IBAN details and the bank takes care of the rest. Once your money is transfered the transaction will be completed by the vendor. If you get any grief from your bank you need to let them know that British banks are required under EU law to accommodate you.

The Instruction should look like this .....

Please pay Roy Van De Malt the sum of €40.00

From account

Name: Me
Address: My House

Bank: England Bank
A/C No: 12345678
NSC: 098765
IBAN: UK08 098765 12345678 (You should be able to get your IBAN number on a bank statement otherwise call your branch)

To Account

Name: Roy Van De Malt
Address: Dike Straat 123, Amsterdam, Holland

Bank: Holland Bank
A/C No: 12345678
NSC: 098765
IBAN: HL08 098765 12345678

Cheers

signed

Hope this helps ......

If anybody knows different please feel free but this is how I do it anyway and I have no problems ever.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Eric m » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:44 pm

Well IWC nothing to add,you said it all.
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:32 pm

Hope to meet fellow forum members on friday afternoons vip session.
:coffee:
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby laddie teun » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:42 pm

will be there
just keep an eye out for a Maltstock shirt ;-)
laddie teun
Bronze Member

Postby Eric m » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:11 pm

laddie teun wrote:will be there
just keep an eye out for a Maltstock shirt ;-)

What happened with your Bruichladdie-shirt :) ?
See you all perhaps on fridayeve.
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby laddie teun » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:32 pm

hardly ever wear a Laddie shirt on the festivals.
usually (actually almost always) it's those bright blue scottish flag rugby shirts
will be wearing them the rest of the festival, when working
laddie teun
Bronze Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:05 am

Visited the VIP session and will never do that again. Because:
-The VIP ticket gave me 20 drams: 20 drams not as in 20 interesting whiskies but 20 coupons which you can exchange for a few real (small) drams. Only a few whiskies were included.
-There was only one masterclass, this one was focused on Balvenie. Could be interesting if it wasn't fully booked 36 seconds after the announcement because only 12 people were allowed.
-During the tasting the promised buffet was served. Fine, but we are tasting whisky! Give us some time to eat something after the tasting and not during. That shouldn't be hard to understand.
-A note book for tasting notes was promised, the organisation stand promised that this would be handed out later. Never seen the thing. That's ok but I expected that I could leave mine at home.
-What was that world famous soccer player doing there? Kick him out and give me some whisky I've never had please...
-Who won the internet price that was supposed to be published on the festival site on 10 November?
-Paying 75 Euros and then having to pay for the toilet,...
-and a few more things I don't even want to talk about.

After all I had a great time time mostly because I met mr Emalt and mr M and because I drank Ben Nevis.
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder