Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live Toronto 2008

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Whisky Live Toronto 2008

Postby Administrator » Thu May 29, 2008 3:14 pm

The world's greatest celebration of the whiskies

Where:
MTCC, Toronto. Canada.

When:
Friday October 24, 2008

Whisky Live Toronto, now in its third year, is Canada's whisky tasting event of the year, bringing the celebration of whisky to Toronto. Held in Hall G of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Whisky Live Toronto brings all the very best whiskies from around the world under one roof. Appealing to both the enthusiast and the novice Whisky Live Toronto has expert advice on hand as well as the opportunity to learn about the whisky basics. It is the ultimate whisky experience with such a stunning range of whiskies, delicious food, Masterclasses, live music and regular nose-off competitions.

Tickets on sale now!

http://www.whiskylive.com/canada/toronto-2008/
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Whisky Live Toronto 2008

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:33 pm

Courtesy of Mrs Musky and the littlest Musky giving a VIP ticket and flight as a birthday gift, Muskrat Portage will be there!
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:38 pm

Pete I'm really pleased for you. And what a nice thing for Mrs Musky and your daughter to arrange for you. Is it your first WL? I hope you have a great time.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:49 pm

les taylor wrote:Pete I'm really pleased for you. And what a nice thing for Mrs Musky and your daughter to arrange for you. Is it your first WL? I hope you have a great time.

:)
Yes,Les, It will be my very first, so I will have to ensure I curb my desire to imbibe in everything. I'm hoping to get into a couple of Masterclasses and also meet up with a few of the forummers. Now to start ticking off the days until Oct 24...

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:11 pm

Masterclass tickets don't go on sale until September 1. Anyone out there have an inkling of what will be on offer at the classes?

(Money for them is burning a hole in my pocket.)

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby CanadianThistle » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:28 pm

Hey Mr. Muskrat,

This is Al from Winnipeg. My buddy Philipp and I have just booked for WL 2008. Hope to catch up to you there.
Are there any other forummers attending the TO event in October? Any idea who will be exhibiting this year and/or what they'll be showcasing?

Slàinte,
Al from Winnipeg
CanadianThistle

Postby Malt Meister » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:27 pm

This is a 1.5hr drive south for me....so I might make the trip. Aside from using tickets for tastings....will any bottles be available for purchase?
Malt Meister

Postby Wendy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:56 am

Hi Malt Meister,
In previous years, the LCBO has sold whisky at the event. They don't offer anything outside of what they sell at the LCBO outlets.

I am planning on attending, so hope to meet you and the others there.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Malt Meister » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:42 pm

Thanks for your reply Wendy. But I was hoping they would sample stuff we can't buy at the LCBO. Laphroiag is there...was hoping to try 15yo and 10yo CS, that we can't get here :cry:

I will be in Las Vegas for a week until Oct. 23rd....a day before the event. Not sure if I will have enough recovery time to attend, but will try. Hopefully while in Vegas I can sample and bring back whisky not available at LCBO.
Malt Meister

Postby Lawrence » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:58 pm

Malt Meister wrote:Thanks for your reply Wendy. But I was hoping they would sample stuff we can't buy at the LCBO. Laphroiag is there...was hoping to try 15yo and 10yo CS, that we can't get here :cry:

I will be in Las Vegas for a week until Oct. 23rd....a day before the event. Not sure if I will have enough recovery time to attend, but will try. Hopefully while in Vegas I can sample and bring back whisky not available at LCBO.

Both Laphroaigs are available in Nevada, alternatively you can order online from a California retailer and have the bottles shipped to your hotel.........
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wendy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:20 am

Hi Malt Meister,
Until the masterclasses are posted, it will remain a mystery as to what whiskies outside of the LCBO inventory will be available for tasting. One of the many advantages of attending the masterclasses is the chance to try something that may be outside of my price range or taste experiences. Last year, I sampled Ballantine's 30 yo which was a great treat. I am not too sure if it ever was offered in the LCBO inventory, but it definitely is a bottle outside of my price range. So, it proved to be a win-win for me. As already noted, over the past two years, the LCBO has set-up a store at the Tor WL, but they unfortunately don't bring anything special or unique outside of their inventory. The annual whisky festival in Fredericton apparently offers the consumer the chance to buy whisky not in their system. I think it is a very nice gesture plus offers a great incentive and perk for festival-goers.

Lawrence has given you some good advice. I think both Laph 15 and 10CS are worth buying whenever you have the chance. I have a bottle of the Laph 15 and would be glad to share some with you. Let me know if you are heading to the Toronto festival, if not, I would be pleased to make other arrangements.

Best regards,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:51 pm

ARRRRRG!
It's 10:30 am in Toronto, I'm in Newmarket, credit card sizzling to be used and there's NO masterclasses listed. C'mon c'mon c'mon!

I'll go back and see if there's a phone number on the website. You having any luck Wendy? Wonder if Matt knows anything?....

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi Musky!!

OFF TOPIC: I can't believe you are in Newmarket...Frodo is planning on heading over to my place for a dram this evening...you are more than welcome to join in. I know you have been wanting to sample the Ardmore Traditional Cask for some time which I would be really happy to pour for you...

ON TOPIC: I am not having any more luck than you. We will have to exercise a little more patience, but I am sure the masterclasses will soon be listed.

Keep that credit card ready for action!!

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:01 pm

Gad, but I love this Forum some days! Here I am, sitting in Newmarket, Southern Ontario without a SM to sample, the LCBO being closed today, and a kind offer to share a spectacular and unattainable malt is generously offered!

Wendy, you are so very kind but I will be rather busy doing the last of organising the apartment tonight before I head home to the Ol' Portage tomorrow by winged dogsled.

Air Western Muskelunge is offering a direct flight this week between Slabtown and Winterpeg. Nonstop no less!

Blueberry pemmican and brackish swampwater are on the menu and the inflight film is a classic: Renfrew of the Mounted where he gets the horse but loses the girl. Fine Canadian entertainment filmed in Hollywood's soundstages. :D :D :D

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:48 pm

Dear Musky,
Canadians sure know how to throw a party:

Blueberry pemmican and brackish swampwater are on the menu and the inflight film is a classic: Renfrew of the Mounted where he gets the horse but loses the girl. Fine Canadian entertainment filmed in Hollywood's soundstages. :D

Good one Musky!!

Your company will be missed this evening. But, don't worry, the invitation still stands when you make your next trip down to Southern Ontario in October. Frodo should be arriving any minute now. I'm not quite sure what drams we will be pouring this evening, but I am sure we'll figure something out!

Enjoy your evening in the big smoke!
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Malt Meister » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:08 am

Wow, small world we live in. I was just in Newmarket too, visiting family. I decided was a good day for a visit since I'm only 45min away. When driving back north, all the other traffic was heading south :lol:
Malt Meister

Postby CanadianThistle » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:52 pm

And I've been stuck in Winnipeg all summer : (

I did participate in a "dueling bourbons" event on Sunday - so all was not a total loss.

Are my fellow Canadian forummers planning any extra-curricular activities post WLTO2008?
CanadianThistle

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:14 am

CT:
If you are coming to T.O. and wanted to do something there are at least three huge LCBO's to visit; Bayview, Queens Quay and the old train station off Yonge. I'm interested in scoping them out and am trying to persuade one of my buddies to come along.

I'll be in Winnipeg this weekend and am doing a bit of shopping in Antique stores for things with a buddy from UofM but can provide my cell number if you are going to be around. PM me and maybe if things pan out we could touch base.

At the very least, maybe stop in at Grant Park MLCC and have a chat?

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:15 am

Malt Meister wrote:Wow, small world we live in. I was just in Newmarket too, visiting family. I decided was a good day for a visit since I'm only 45min away. When driving back north, all the other traffic was heading south :lol:

...Bolton?
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:47 am

CanadianThistle wrote:And I've been stuck in Winnipeg all summer : (

I did participate in a "dueling bourbons" event on Sunday - so all was not a total loss.

Are my fellow Canadian forummers planning any extra-curricular activities post WLTO2008?

Hi Canadian Thistle,
I think festival goers should try to meet up Friday night. On Saturday, perhaps we could all plan to meet at Feathers (Fantastic Whisky Pub) for lunch. I am also playing around with another idea, but have to check out a few things before spilling the beans.

Over the years, I have had the pleasure of meeting a number of forum members. I look forward to continuing the tradition!

By the way, what is a "duelling bourbon" event?

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Malt Meister » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:46 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:...Bolton?
Musky

I'm in Beaverton....SE corner of Lake Simcoe
Malt Meister

Postby CanadianThistle » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:44 pm

Greetings All,

Duelling bourbons was a no-holds-barred cage match between a Woodford Reserve, Baker's 7 Yr. Old and a Blanton Single Barrel - fine Kentucky whiskies all.
For those of you who are aware of the CFL rivalry twixt the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the neighbouring Sask. Roughriders, one of the most anticipated events 'round here is the Labour Day Classic matching both teams and played in Regina. This illustrious, gladitorial event is followed by the same clubs meeting in Winnipeg the following weekend - The Banjo Bowl.
Stream of conciousness time: banjo bowl - duelling banjoes - duelling bourbons.
Laughable I know, but it passes the time.
CanadianThistle

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:58 am

Got me a name tag designed up, working on the last member of my whisky tasting team to sign up and then all we gotta do is wait to fly in and make Toronto our oyster.
(Even know which Masterclasses I want to sign up for)
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby CanadianThistle » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:46 pm

What? The masterclass schedule is finally up?
CanadianThistle

Postby CanadianThistle » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:38 pm

I've just successfully signed up for the following masterclasses at WLTO 2008:
1) Balvenie Rum Cask @ 4:30
2) The Macallan @ 6:30
3) Highland Park @ 8:30

Getting psyched!

Cheers,
Al from Winnipeg
CanadianThistle

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:15 am

Al: We're booked in at the Greenwood and will arrive in the early evening, it being just over two hours to the city from here. I'll give you a call when we hit the hotel and see if we can hook up for a drink.

Any A'Bunadh 23 left at Grant Park?

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby CanadianThistle » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:54 pm

Hey Peter,

If you mean the A'bunadh batch 23 then the answer is yes.
There were about half a dozen bottles still on the shelf at Grant Park on Saturday.

Cheers,
Al from Winnipeg
CanadianThistle

Postby Elagabalus » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:59 pm

I am unsure if I will attend this year's WL. It appears all the exhibitors present have bottles that can be purchased at the LCBO anyway.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Peter Alcamo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:15 pm

I have missed the last two shows as I was disappointed on the first one. I have bought a ticket for the evening show and am looking forward to this event :D .
Peter Alcamo

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:39 pm

Peter & YtoM:
Look for the big guy with glasses standing there with a grin on his face. It will probably be me. I will be wearing something that will make me easily recognisable.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:08 am

Right....
...me and the baby snapping turtle.

I forgot about that, saved the little critter from getting run over. Wonder how big it is now?

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:05 am

I've got to go into the city tomorrow evening, then again on Wednesday, so won't be on the WM Forums either day. Flying out Thursday am to the "Big Smoke" with WL Friday and then Saturday going to #10 store to scoop up new releases at 10 am.

Looks like a very busy week ahead!

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:22 am

I have decided to probably make a last minute appearence. I won't be there until 7-730 pm though. I will be the well groomed milquetoast with a gold crucifix around my neck. I'll also be one of the younger people there. :)
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Peter Alcamo » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:32 pm

All in all, I had a good time last night. I hadn't gone since the first Whisky Live Toronto in 2006 and was surprised at the large number of people in attendance. I am in a bit of pain today from too much whisky but had a good time. I would eat beforehand next time.

The food line-up was terrible. We lined up two aside for about 30-40 minutes to get food that wasn't replenished (the chicken finished before I got any and that was it) and way short on quantity and quality with basically an all vegan assortment - not good for whisky; for seconds you had to line-up again - no thanks. This has got to improve. The Spirit of Toronto does it right with circular stations having caterers in the middle helping to serrve you.
Peter Alcamo

Postby Elagabalus » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:57 pm

Sounds like I made the right choice by not appearing this year.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder