Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Falkirk Distillery Company & Rosebank

General chat and talk about whisky.

Falkirk Distillery Company & Rosebank

Postby tcurry48 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:24 pm

A couple of weeks ago a planning application was lodged with Falkirk Council for listed plannign consent to remove equipment from Rosebank Distillery.

In the notices page of the Falkirk Herald yesterday there was a notice announcing the lodging of a planning application for a new distillery, bonded warehouses, visitor centre and a shop near Laurieston just outside Falkirk.

I visited Falkirk Council's planning department today to see what more I could find. The application shows a distillery with 2 pagodas, all white rendered and with a 5 foot high "Rosebank" sign on the side.

Now these two events may be coincidental but is there any practical reason why the old stills from Rosebank couldn't be reused in this new distillery, with malt to the same recipe and water from Carron Valley?

The developers go by the name of the Falkirk Distillery Company. I can't find anything on the Companies house website. Does anybody have any idea who they are?

Another coincidence is that a promotions company in Reading has taken out a quarter page advert in the same Falkirk Herald for an appeal for historical information on Rosebank.
tcurry48

Re: Falkirk Distillery Company & Rosebank

Postby tcurry48 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:32 pm

What I forgot to add was that I've been researching for a book on Rosebank. During that research it came to light that the site of the new distillery is not far away from the site of the original Rosebank Distillery in Laurieston before it moved to the other side of Falkirk. Its almost coming home so to speak.
tcurry48

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:00 pm

tcurry48 wrote:Now these two events may be coincidental but is there any practical reason why the old stills from Rosebank couldn't be reused in this new distillery, with malt to the same recipe and water from Carron Valley?

It won't be cheap, but then opening and running a distillery never is. Other than that there are examples of folk doing this already, with the Ben Wyvis stills at Glengyle, or the Inverleven stills which are intended for Port Charlotte.

This is very interesting tcurry48, thanks. Welcome to the forums too.

Cheers
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Dazzler » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:32 am

The original Rosebank washbanks are also in good condition and are currently being stored elsewhere. Seems the pieces of this jigsaw could well be re-built.

Slainte!
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:40 pm

Now these two events may be coincidental but is there any practical reason why the old stills from Rosebank couldn't be reused in this new distillery, with malt to the same recipe and water from Carron Valley?

Different owners? The original owners don't want to sell to the new developers?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm

or the original stills are clapped out?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby tcurry48 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:18 am

Camelon distillery was on the West Side of the canal.

If you imagine a St Andrews Cross. South West was the new bond (which is now the Beefeater), north East is Rosebank (haven't found anything to say it was Falkirk Distillery yet), South East was the timber yard which supplied the cooperages in the area and North West was Camelon Distillery. The 2 white bands of the cross being the Forth and Clyde Canal and the Main Road.

I didn't know that the washbacks were now stored. When I was in last summer the were still in situ.

I seem to remember the stills having major repairs within about 5 years of the mothballing. round about the same time that the steeplejacks repointed the chimney and painted the top of it.

As has been said the pieces of the jigsaw make up for an interesting picture.
tcurry48

Postby peteys » Mon May 12, 2008 12:46 pm

Is there any more news on this?

I can't seem to find anything on Falkirk distillery company, except for it being and old name for the Rosebank distillery's owners.

Can anyone else say anything?

Peter
peteys

Postby peteys » Sat May 31, 2008 8:35 am

I don't know if you can consider this news?
But in the latest newsletter from Daftmill distillery, they talk about the visitors they have had from other distilleries (well people wanting to start distilleries) and Falkirk is mentioned (together with Huntly and others)
In fact Diageo had also paid a visit to Daftmill

Peter

PS
I have started a Rosebank distillery group on Facebook, just to collect the news, appreciation, and pictures of the distillery. feel free to join if you wan't
peteys

Postby mattC » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:24 pm

Any news on this?

Just read through the Sep-Nov 2005 thread on a possible Rosebank resurrection, so it's interesting to see this year's rumours.

'Triple distilled' from the old thread seemed to be well connected with previous efforts, if you're reading this and you're involved with any current plan, it would be great to hear the latest!

Any company, person or organisation intending to reopen a distillery producing a lowland triple distilled malt in the Rosebank style has my fullest support. If it happens in the Falkirk area, and Diageo can be persuaded to release the Rosebank name (before they flog off their current stocks for every last selfish penny) than so much the better.
mattC

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:44 pm

If a new distillery opens in Falkirk, it shouldn't use the Rosebank name. It's strange enough with the likes of Glendullan and Clynelish which have built new distilleries next door to the originals, but something completely unrelated...
Deactivated Member

Postby wandering pict » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:27 pm

My understanding is that the equipment was damaged by some people who broke in and were nicking bits for scrap. What was left was then sold to a local entrepreneur who wants to start a distillery and has an experienced project engineer on board.
If it all goes ahead then I think that it could be very successful - good location which can attract visitors.
Here's hoping :thumbsup:
wandering pict

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:31 pm

Absolutely, I hope it is a success - just not one called Rosebank.
Deactivated Member

Postby mattC » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:02 pm

Thanks for the update- and the welcome! I hope something comes of this, whatever the name.

Though I'm curious- if the new distillery ends up being built close to the old one, uses the same stills and water supply, and aims for a similar tasting malt- why not call it Rosebank?

To answer my own question, I suppose a lot would depend on the details of the proposal...

Promising news though. :)
Look forward to hearing more.
mattC

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:13 pm

You shouldn't call it Rosebank because it's not Rosebank. Rosebank has been and gone. The building's gone, the stills have gone, the staff have gone. Let the new distillery have its own, new identity - just as its whisky will be new whisky.

Besides - I think the new whisky laws will prohibit the use of names of defunct distilleries for whisky made at other distilleries.
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:15 pm

mattC wrote:
Though I'm curious- if the new distillery ends up being built close to the old one, uses the same stills and water supply, and aims for a similar tasting malt- why not call it Rosebank?

Hi MattC
I'll put money on it Diageo wouldn't let them , effectively it's a different Malt and Diageo will have old Stock from the original to use in that name . Also bet it's trademarked !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Rosebankfan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:35 pm

Hi,
As a resident of Falkirk and long time fan of Rosebank, I am delighted that the planning application has been made and I wish those behind the venture all the best - it would be great to see distilling again in the area (St Magdalanes too please !!)

I would like to see a clear distinction made between the original Rosebank product and any output from the new distillery. However, I would imagine that the venture is probably only viable if it is based on trading on the Rosebank name and tradition. I am surprised that Diageo would allow use of the Rosebank brand, as it will undoubtedly cause confusion in future, but it appears that they have, as it is very clearly this name that is used in the planning application (according to local press).

As for how authentic it will be, I'd imagine fairly much so, as it will be using the same water source and some of the old distillery equipment. When I toured the place a couple of years ago everything was still intact including all the major vessels and stills, so if they have managed to buy these then they will be well set up.

I'm no expert but I don't believe there is anything preventing a new distillery using an existing name to create effectively a new product.....I'm thinking Bruichladdich makes Port Charlotte and Lochindaal which were at one time separate distilleries.

Time will tell but I am all for it - apart from anything else it will bring much needed employment and tourism into the area which is no bad thing.

Rosebankfan
Rosebankfan

Postby peteys » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:38 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:
Hi MattC
I'll put money on it Diageo wouldn't let them , effectively it's a different Malt and Diageo will have old Stock from the original to use in that name . Also bet it's trademarked !

[/quote]

That would be the obvious outcome. And why operate with a Falkirk distillery name, if they are going to call the whisky Rosebank?

No it's not going to completly be a new Rosebank distillery anyway. But then, after 15-16 years of closure, who will be able to detect the minor differences anyway? (just kidding :shock: )

Peter
peteys

Postby peteys » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:34 pm

As mentioned earlier in this thread
Here's the application to erect a distillery
http://www.falkirk.gov.uk/services/deve ... ril_08.pdf

Peter
peteys

Postby TaliskerBairn » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi everyone, first-timer poster to the forum and so happy to be here!

Read with interest the chat around a new distillery in Falkirk(fingers xsed) and thought that this article in the Sunday Herald today(13th Sep) would add to the discussion:

http://www.sundayherald.com/business/businessnews/display.var.2446054.0.entrepreneurs_plan_to_bring_whisky_back_to_falkirk.php

Hope to post here again soon, thanks for your time

Kris
TaliskerBairn

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:58 pm

We've discussed this a bit over at you-know-where--the new distillery is apparently planned as part of a larger development, visitor centre, restaurant, retail, etc, which seems a smart way to go, rather than as a stand-alone project. Someone from Diageo was quoted as saying (I paraphrase) "We'll be happy to help where we can, but the name is not for sale." I think that's appropriate, for the reasons Nick has outlined, and not simply a matter of corporate greed. What I would hope is that the new company, with Diageo's blessing, will be able to celebrate the heritage of Rosebank (and other Falkirk distillers) at its visitor centre, as the former distillery's spiritual heir (so to speak). I shouldn't think use of the Rosebank name in labeling and advertising would be allowed.

I look forward to a nice bottle of Falkirk 10yo as I approach my retirement.
Deactivated Member

Postby kidwithnoname » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:09 am

The Planning application has certainly caused a bit of a stir amongst whisky connoisseurs.
The Falkirk Distillery Co or TFDC is managed by Alan & Fiona Stewart, siblings of the father who owns the Stewart Electrical Empire and the site, I believe. I think they are currently based at Atrium House in Callander Business Park, Falkirk.
It is interesting that they have used the name Rosebank but as so many have noted, Diagio will not give up that name just yet not unless they take on the development from TFDC should it get approval ? It is understood that TFDC have obtained some of the original equipment from Rosebank to be used at the new distillery although some of the copper stills had apparently been vandalised for their copper.
kidwithnoname

Postby kallaskander » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi there,

the go ahead was given.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 964070.stm

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder