Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenfarclas Vintage 1990 Oloroso 1st filling

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Glenfarclas Vintage 1990 Oloroso 1st filling

Postby uisghe » Mon May 23, 2005 3:55 pm

I went to a large Store today ( for those who a from Germany too: Kaufhof ) and just bought one bottle of this 'Limited rare bottling'

The Label says:

Glenfarclas Premium Edition, Oloroso Sherry Cask 1st filling, 1990 Vintage, Distilled October 1990, Bottled June 2004, Bottle No. 1111 of 1500.

Normally I buy Single Malts on Duty free stores, I started with a Glemnorangie 10 ys with a tasting glass insinde the tube ( that was 1994 from Birmingham ) and ended with a Aberlour Vintage 1993 ( bought in Zagreb on Friday ). I have 19 Malts so far, mostly Standard but I just enjoy so much to collect them ( well, you might know that feeling :) )

I wonder if I should buy the one bottle that was left there ( No. 1113). The backlabel explains ( it's written in German, which makes it lack some authenticity in my view... ) that this filling was made because of the 125th anniversary of Kaufhof.
uisghe

Postby bernstein » Mon May 23, 2005 5:47 pm

Hi uisghe!

Glenfarclas is one of the very few independent distilleries in Scotland, and that’s a good story on its own in the first place. In addition their products are held in high regard by a lot of posters around this forum – and the desciption of this particular bottling sounds very promising too. I tried the Glenfarclas 15 recently and was very impressed by its complexity, good oak and yummy sherry! So I would say, give it a try, if you intend to open and enjoy it (where’re you from? – you might need some assistance after all :D ). I understand that there are quite a lot of ‘special edition’ bottlings of Glenfarclas SC out there, so the ‘125y anniversary Kaufhof edition’ seems to be not that unusual. But who knows, if you get into collecting….

Kaufhof in my opinion is usually a good place to stroll along the whisky shelves and have a good look at the bottles, but I’m always v e r y impressed by their prices :shock: and keep on walking…

What are they asking for it?
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby uisghe » Mon May 23, 2005 11:43 pm

Hello Bernstein,

it is 35 EUR per bottle, so not a bargain but not overly expensive either I'd say. The only bad thing is that it comes unboxed.

Actually I am not that much into drinking, I rather collect them. Only very few bottles are open in my collection. I like to smell them but when it comes to drinking I suffer from the tannin in it I guess. :-(
Well, should I ever get used to that 40% alcohol and the tannin I have a lot to taste then, for I keep looking around on duty free stores when I have the chance and I agree, Kaufhof has a good collection of Whisky but they are also expensive.

I come from the Rhineland btw, so we are not far away from each other.
uisghe

Postby bernstein » Tue May 24, 2005 7:32 am

35 EUR - that's not bad for a 14yo vintage. I should take another stroll...
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby rthomson » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:58 am

I've long been a fan of Glenfarclas. 35 EUR sounds ok for a 14 yo. Try their 21 yo, if available in your region, or the 105.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder