Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Help on a bottle recommendation

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Help on a bottle recommendation

Postby Choochoo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:34 pm

Hello all – I need a bit of help in recommending a bottle to a friend of mine. He wants to buy a present for his cousin, and asked me to help him pick out a good one. Below is a list of bottles that are available and within his price range. All that he told me about his cousin is that: “he likes single-malts, is kind of an up-scale person. He would like something very classy or somewhat rare/original. Nothing too overly sweet.”

So now I feel the pressure to recommend something good. I’d appreciate any thoughts or recommendations on the bottles listed below. Thanks.

Talisker 25yo
Scott’s Highland Park 1982
Scott’s Glenlivet 1970
Speymalt Macallan 30yo 1973
Ledaig 1972
Glen Grant 30yo 1965
Caol Ila 25yo
Aberfeldy 21yo

At first glance, the two Scott’s looked good to me, but the Glen Grant or Macallan are the “classy” choices. I wouldn’t know what to expect from the rest.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:41 pm

My first thought is the Talisker (then again, maybe it's just because it was first on the list). But my second thought is that I've had some really stunning cask strength Glenlivets recently, IB and OB, and that's the one on the list that I'd like to try. Not knowing whether the fellow likes peat or not (or sherry, for that matter), I think I'd go with that (assuming cask info is available); I'd also be explaining that Glenlivet gets overlooked because it is seemingly ubiquitous, etc etc...but of course I can't do that because I'm making a recommendation for a friend's friend's friend.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:46 pm

A bottle of Talisker 25yo OB, as a gift :cry:
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:49 pm

Omg Mr TH how dare you be so presumptious to make so many presumptions about correct assumptions?

That's indicative of inadequate mental indicativeness.

omg my buzz is leaving me, I must replenish my ROman army
I am the Roman Emperor Elagabalus who ruled the roman empire from 218 to 222 AD.

You should google him
That is all Elagabalus.

HAIL Elagabalus!
Deus Sol Invictus!
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Choochoo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:57 pm

Glenlivet, Hmmm, I could tell him to go with a few of the Scott's I've seen locally, or the OB 21yo. I'll think about that. Glenlivet is a "classy" gift in any circumstance.

I was told that the gent would not mind anything too peaty, so the talisker could be a winner as well. What is the 25yo Tally like? How much smoke is left at that age? is it a sherry cask?

I'd welcome any other thoughts, at least fairly lucid ones at least.
Last edited by Choochoo on Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Re: Help on a bottle recommendation

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:17 am

Choochoo wrote:Hello all – I need a bit of help in recommending a bottle to a friend of mine. He wants to buy a present for his cousin, and asked me to help him pick out a good one. Below is a list of bottles that are available and within his price range. All that he told me about his cousin is that: “he likes single-malts, is kind of an up-scale person. He would like something very classy or somewhat rare/original. Nothing too overly sweet.”

So now I feel the pressure to recommend something good. I’d appreciate any thoughts or recommendations on the bottles listed below. Thanks.

Talisker 25yo
Scott’s Highland Park 1982
Scott’s Glenlivet 1970
Speymalt Macallan 30yo 1973
Ledaig 1972
Glen Grant 30yo 1965
Caol Ila 25yo
Aberfeldy 21yo

At first glance, the two Scott’s looked good to me, but the Glen Grant or Macallan are the “classy” choices. I wouldn’t know what to expect from the rest.

I think the 1965 Glen Grant would be a stunning gift, that's the one IMHO!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:50 am

I'm not familiar with the Highland Park '82 SS (how old?), but I have an '85 19yo (very nice) and a '75 25yo (excellent!) HP Scott's Selections which are both still available at Binny's. The Talisker 25 & Caol Ila 25 too are nice choices. :)

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:36 am

I would go either for the Glengrant (if it is a sherry one) or the Talisker.

But first of all, it depends on the taste of your cousin. If he likes smooth whiskies, go for Glen Grant and if he like peaty whisky, go for the Talisker.

Rgds

Corbuso

---------

http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Re: Help on a bottle recommendation

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:48 pm

Choochoo wrote:....... All that he told me about his cousin is that: “he likes single-malts, is kind of an up-scale person. He would like something very classy or somewhat rare/original. Nothing too overly sweet.”

Firstly you do need to know what the guy likes, light or heavy sherry, peated, heavily peated etc or combination or is it eveything and anything. Further what do you mean by 'upscale'? That may mean that he likes to protray an image rather than really appreciating great whiskey or it maybe a bit of both. How much does the guy know about his whisky? Will he appreciate an IB like Scott's as readily as OB's.

Because of all the unknows I would be plumbing for the Talisker 25yo at this stage.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Choochoo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:37 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

Since this is a recomendation for a friend of mine (who doesn't drink), to buy as a christmas gift for his cousin, who I've never met - I'm basically flying blind when it comes to what this person's tastes are. The quote in my original post is all I know about the fellow. I assume by "Upscale", that he has a fair amount of money (at least a good deal more than I do), and enjoy's "high class" luxury items. He also stressed that he'd like a bottle that was a bit rare & uncommon.

I think the Glen Grant would be a good fit. It's a bit rare today, the 30yo age would be impressive, and glen grant has has it's place in the history in European high society (at least that's what I've read about it).

I'll also put in a good word for the Glenlivet as another old & very classy malt, sure to be a good gift And also the Talisker, as one with more bite & smoke to it, but that also fits as a luxury item at 25 years old.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:53 pm

Choochoo wrote:Glenlivet, Hmmm, I could tell him to go with a few of the Scott's I've seen locally, or the OB 21yo. I'll think about that. Glenlivet is a "classy" gift in any circumstance.

I was told that the gent would not mind anything too peaty, so the talisker could be a winner as well. What is the 20yo Tally like? How much smoke is left at that age? is it a sherry cask?

I'd welcome any other thought's, at least fairly lucid ones at least.

D and M (http://www.dandm.com) has a stunning 1979 27yo Glenvlivet for a very reasonble price. It is suprisingly peaty for a Glenvlivet, but not so much that a non peat head would be turned off. Very classy drink, complex mix of peat, malt, bourbony spicy notes, a very long finish. I bought my second bottle as soon as the first was tasted. Here it is:

220596 Glenlivet 27 Year Old 1979 D&M Exclusive Club Bottling, Single Malt Scotch Whisky $104.99

Rich
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:17 pm

For a gift, I might recommend the Macallan. People seem to equate this malt with "class", and it is a recognisable distillery name...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:51 am

Choochoo wrote:Glenlivet, Hmmm, I could tell him to go with a few of the Scott's I've seen locally, or the OB 21yo. I'll think about that. Glenlivet is a "classy" gift in any circumstance.

I was told that the gent would not mind anything too peaty, so the talisker could be a winner as well. What is the 25yo Tally like? How much smoke is left at that age? is it a sherry cask?

I'd welcome any other thoughts, at least fairly lucid ones at least.

The Talisker 25yo is amazingly special. I bought a second bottle and still have most of the first left. Powerful at 57.8% abv, but very drinkable, and the age gives it a distinct complexity that just makes it a joy to sip and savor. The smoke is so well integrated that it is a component rather than the main theme. As far as cask, the back of the bottle just says refill cask.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:08 pm

Hey there Choochoo...

I'm not sure if your friend has purchased his gift for his cousin but I'll chime in anyway... :wink:

I thought I would just offer my perspective on what you have asked and please I am no expert or anything...

Choochoo wrote:is kind of an up-scale person. He would like something very classy or somewhat rare/original...

I suppose these would fit that...
- Talisker 25yo
- Speymalt Macallan 30yo 1973
- Ledaig 1972
- Glen Grant 30yo 1965
- Caol Ila 25yo
- Scott’s Glenlivet 1970
I suggest the ones above taking into consideration their age, distillation date and the actual Distillery

Choochoo wrote:Nothing too overly sweet

I would think that you could probably remove these from the above list...
- Speymalt Macallan 30yo 1973(Although the age may have made the sweetness more subtle)
Glen Grant 30yo 1965(again the age may make it less sweet)
In general I have found speysides' to offer a little more sweetness and obviously it depends on what the cask type is.

Choochoo wrote:the gent would not mind anything too peaty

If you mean he would like something with a peaty/smokey taste, I think that these would fit nicely...
- Talisker 25yo
- Caol Ila 25yo
- Scott’s Glenlivet 1970
I think most would agree that in general most Islays' will provide any smokey/peaty taste a drinker is looking for...

If the Gentleman in question is a 'high class' single malt drinker, he should surely appreciate any of the malts you have suggested as a gift...?! I know I would!! :wink: :wink:
Anyway just my thoughts...
Cheers!
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Choochoo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:03 pm

My friend had planned on buying a bottle last evening. I should find out what he got, or if he bought anything within the next couple of days.

I was hoping that he was just being sneaky and wanted to get me the bottle for christmas, just using his anonymous cousin as a way to find out what would be a good bottle - but I'm pretty sure that isn't the case though.

However, I did find out that I will be getting a nice bottle for christmas. Some friends in Boston asked my wife to recommend a bottle that I'd like. A few of them had put together their money to get one really good bottle as a present. I told my wife to tell them to take their money and go to federal wine in Boston, ask for Joe, tell him what you want to spend, and buy whatever he recommends. I'm looking forward to seeing what shows up.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:44 pm

A Blackadder Raw Cask, maybe!
Deactivated Member

Postby Choochoo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:14 pm

I've not had a Blackadder Raw. Is that the stuff with bits of wood floating around in it? Talk about a chewwy malt for Choochoo :wink:

Update: My friend just e-mailed me and said "I didn't get a bottle yesterday because I'm not sure if my brother still drinks. I'll see him over the holiday (thanksgiving) and will find out. If he still does drink, then I'll get a bottle."
Something's fishy going on here - last week he said this was for his cousin, now it's for his brother? What gives?? I could be reading into this, but I'm hoping the bottle is really for me! This whole cousin/brother thing could be an elaborate smokescreen - wouldn't that be a treat!

The only other option is that there was inbreeding within his family, and that his cousin is also his brother - That would be a scandal! :shock:
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:33 pm

Well as my father's brother's mother said to me.....

'You can live in hope, Son' :shock: :mrgreen:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:37 pm

Choochoo wrote:I've not had a Blackadder Raw. Is that the stuff with bits of wood floating around in it? Talk about a chewwy malt for Choochoo :wink:

Well, not splinters so much as bits of char, scraped from the barrel and purposely distributed amongst the bottles. I've disparaged this gimmick at length before (and if the char is indeed from the same barrel as the whisky, it strikes me they are reducing the value of the barrel for reuse, as well), but by all accounts they are fine bottlings--Joe Howell raves about them.
Deactivated Member

Postby Choochoo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:25 pm

The Raw Cask process does seem a bit odd. I'd be happy to have one as a gift though - try it out at no cost to myself.

I sometimes wonder if when asking for recommendations from a storeowner, if they might be pushing the product they want off their shelf, rather than the product they really feel is the best.

Once when I was specifically looking for an unusual IB, the store owner who's opinion I asked kept suggesting Capmbelltown Loch or Compass Box. I wondered if he was just trying to move that stuff, because those two choices have very little to do with an "unusual IB" (I ended up getting a port finished Auchroisk from Murry McDavid).
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Jacques » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:33 am

IMHO, I can tell you that Classy will be Macallan as it is widely known and fame of being expensive... but My choice would be any of both Scott's..
Jacques

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder