Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Grant's Family Reserve

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Grant's Family Reserve

Grant's Family Reserve

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:11 am

Tell me about it. I searched this blend before making this thread, and the consensus is that it is a very good blend. As you know from my recent postings, I have recently made my way through Famous Grouse, Teachers, and Bushmills. I think Grant's Family Reserve ranks up there with the status of quality blend at a bargain price. You agree? Disagree? Tasting notes or memories are welcome.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Re: Grant's Family Reserve

Postby Elagabalus » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:15 am

Grant's is one of those funny cheaper blends. They make a sherry cask, ale cask, and I think the standard. I prefer FG, and even J&B to Grant's. The only thing I hate worse than Grant's is the standard Ballantine's. :yuk:

If you are looking for a cheap blend stick with Teacher's.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:37 am

I'm not really a fan of the Family Reserve, but I quite like the Ale Cask Reserve that Elagabalus mentions. In fact, this thread reminded me that I still had a small amount of the latter available, so I've just poured it. It very much reminds me - particularly the nose - of the younger bourbon-matured Bladnochs actually; a very sweet, creamy, buttery, lemony and biscuity (lemon cheesecake-ish!) nose, with vanilla, lemon and more cream on the palate and a slightly citrussy (lemon again) finish. I remember this being richer and more complex than the Family Reserve, and I'd choose this over the FR any day. In fact, I'd choose the ACR over virtually any other budget blend, save perhaps for JW Black.

I agree though that Teacher's is a very good blend for the money.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:47 am

Thanks Tross. Your observations are appreciated. Where I live the ale cask reserve is cheaper than the Family reserve. So, I guess another reason to give it a go.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby hilliamash » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:22 am

Jim Murray gave it rave reviews in his whisky bible, so I bought a bottle to see what the fuss is about. I have to admit that I was somewhat underwhelmed with it---enjoy Teachers, White Horse, and FG much more. :smoke:

Ballentines? The stuff is awful. :yuk:
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Gov » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:33 am

FR is smooth mellow easy drinking with no speakable qualities that are very notable. Its acceptable in my book
Gov
Gold Member

Postby davesumner » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:32 am

Grant's is a very decent whiskey. It's just very thinned out, very light, very weak in the single malt category.

It has Balvenie and Glenfiddich in it, so I'm not complaining. But of course if you put it side by side with those single malts, you'll understand how underpowered Grant's is in character, depth, complexity and taste. It's like taking a mix of Balvenie and Glenfiddich and adding the same amount of water to it.

But..... again it's good whiskey. I've had a few bottles of Grant's in my time and I can't complain about it's quality. It gives you a nice warm feeling and isn't rough on you the next day. If I were to compare it to bourbon, I would put it right next to Jim Beam White. Except I mix JBW with coke and I don't mix Scotch. I drink my Grant's with a little ice.

If you just want a "cheap as beer" whiskey to throw down while watching some football on the Tube, Grant's is a great choice.

If you're in the mood for a dram of full, complex, character filled, deeper flavored sipp'n whiskey, then Grant's is not what you want.

Someone mentioned Teacher's and White Horse. Well Grant's is more Speyside then both of those I would say. If someone were looking for a cheep Scotch and liked Speyside, I would recommend Grant's and Ballentines. If they preferred highlands and Islay's I would recommend Teacher's and White Horse.

JWR, Dewar's, FG and Black Bottle are in the next price bracket.
davesumner

Related whiskies : Grant's Family Reserve

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder