Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenmorangie Range - Including Signet

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Glenmorangie Signet

Glenmorangie Range - Including Signet

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:13 pm

On Friday, I had the opportunity to try the Glenmorangie range as they released their new Signet. Tasting notes:

Original
N: pencil shavings, lemon, sherbet, floral, gooseberry, slight varnish, vanilla, putty, apple, sugared almonds, milk chocolate
T: slightly sour, gooseberry, lemon, toasty, grapefruit, vanilla, biscuit, sweetens to honey, melon, toffee, chocolate, hazelnuts
F: melon, pear, vanilla, sugar, honey, maltesers, biscuit, slightly sappy

Lasanta - oloroso sherry finish
N: fudge, orange, cloves, putty, vanilla, coffee, chocolate, apple, cherry, caramel, pencils
T: caramel, pepper, allspice, orange, raisin, christmas cake, leather, nutty, rum, mint, bananas
F: warm, caramel, raisin, grassy, hay, woody, vanilla, toasty, coffee, mint

Quinta Ruban - port finish
N: cherry menthol, vanilla, grassy, putty, coffee
T: smooth, dark chocolate, cherry, orange, raisin, pepper, drying, lemon, leather, vanilla, creamy
F: curry, spice, minty, chocolate, grassy, salty, waxy, putty, cherryade, redcurrant

Nectar D'Or - sauternes finish
N: sweet, almond, vanilla, honey, apricot, biscuit
T: sweet, grape, melon, warming, toasty, apricot, slight mint, vanilla, honey, milk chocolate, gooseberry, grapefruit, toffee, icing sugar
F: vanilla, biscuit, fruity, grape, apple, raisin, drying

Signet
N: toffee, orange, chocolate, coffee, raisin, rich, dark cherry, creamy, vanilla, pencil shavings, demerera, caramel, lavender, mint, lemon
T: dry, rich, coffee, caramel, orange, vanilla, creamy, mint, chocolate, dark cherry, fudge
F: rich, cherry, medium chocolate, creamy, coffee, vanilla, apricot, peach, woody, spicy, toast, biscuit, sugared almonds
Deactivated Member

Re: Glenmorangie Range - Including Signet

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:41 pm

Nice notes Nick. I was a bit lazy and didn't take any, but I did think it was an excellent tasting. It has removed the reservations I had about a couple of these finishes. I now believe in Lasanta.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Secesh » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:41 pm

How did the Quinta Ruban compare to the older Port expression?
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:49 pm

I thought it was much improved - although my experience of the old port expression was from the very first batch. I thought the old expression was not terribly well integrated - the port sort of masked the flavour of the Glenmorangie rather than enhancing it - and tended to be rather sour, dry and bitter. Much more of the vanilla and wood came through with the Quinta Ruban.

But the Signet was the star of the show - a very luscious, rich and smooth dram.
Deactivated Member

Postby Kernow » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:05 pm

I've tried the Lasanta wasnt that impressed, but the Nectar D'Or that was very nice :thumbsup:

Seems im going to have to try the Signet.
Kernow
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:09 pm

I agree completely with Nick's assessment comparing the older finish expressions from Glenmo. The flavors imparted by the finish act in unison rather than in competition. Better casks? Also, I thin the increased ABV makes the flavors and aromas "brighter".

I did have the opportunity to try the Signet this weekend and thought is was a very good Glenmorangie. Lots of dark fruits, spices and herbs, some mint (crushed), and dk chocolate. The information that we were given is that about 90% of the vatting comes from casks of around 34 years of age but the remaining 10% is from much younger whiskies.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:13 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Nice notes Nick. I was a bit lazy and didn't take any, but I did think it was an excellent tasting. It has removed the reservations I had about a couple of these finishes. I now believe in Lasanta.

Told you! It was my house dram for social visitors last christmas - La Santa..what else??

Nice notes Nick. Agree that the Nectar D'Or is predominently sweet///perhaps the sweetest malt I can remember. And the new Signet sounds great. Excuse my ignorance, but I know nothing about it apart from your notes on age. What is the ABV...and cost?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:58 pm

I think the strength of the Signet is 46% and the age is NAS. The cost in the UK is around £120. I don't know about the ages of then ingredients - it doesn't taste young, but it has such a strange mix of flavours (very well integrated) that you might be forgiven for thinking it a high end blend. It has some sherry characteristics, some spice, some chocolate and coffee (apparently from chocolate malt), and mintiness that you might expect from older whiskies.

I said that it reminded me a lot of the Ardbeg 1974 I had tried last year (the double barrel bottling) and Rachel Barrie, the Glenmorangie Master Blender, looked like I'd shot her between the eyes. That might square with 34 year old whisky being in the mix.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:02 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I said that it reminded me a lot of the Ardbeg 1974 I had tried last year (the double barrel bottling) and Rachel Barrie, the Glenmorangie Master Blender, looked like I'd shot her between the eyes. That might square with 34 year old whisky being in the mix.

That's funny Nick...even if you didn't intend it that way. :lol:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:41 pm

Ganga wrote:
Nick Brown wrote:I said that it reminded me a lot of the Ardbeg 1974 I had tried last year (the double barrel bottling) and Rachel Barrie, the Glenmorangie Master Blender, looked like I'd shot her between the eyes. That might square with 34 year old whisky being in the mix.

That's funny Nick...even if you didn't intend it that way. :lol:

I see what you mean. I promise it wasn't intentional, but I wish it had been.
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:11 pm

Maybe the IS some 1974 Ardbeg in there, and you innocently sussed it! :shock: How Serendipitous!

Dontcha just love rumour and conspiracy theories! 8) 8)
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:47 pm

I should say that there was not a hint of peat in the Signet. The common flavours to the Double Barrel were the chocolate, coffee, but especially the mint and the cooling mouthfeel.
Deactivated Member

Postby A Motley » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:22 pm

Signet is a combination of the original chocolate-malt batch, matured for 10 years in a combination of former bourbon and new oak casks and then blended with other Glenmorangie whiskies, some up to 35 years old (including some from the original floor maltings).

Tried the Signet myself this morning and agree with Nick's notes. I also found a really interesting herbal spice on the nose...nearly aniseed, star anise or cloves, but not quite any of them.

Keir (RMW boss) tasted it and wrote a little on web here:
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/produc ... 0000039740
A Motley

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:02 pm

Nick Brown wrote:On Friday, I had the opportunity to try the Glenmorangie range as they released their new Signet. Tasting notes:

Where was this event?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:48 pm

It was an invited guest list - and I wouldn't want to embarrass the host if he would prefer to remain anonymous.

Sorry.
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:56 pm

Nick Brown wrote:It was an invited guest list - and I wouldn't want to embarrass the host if he would prefer to remain anonymous.

Sorry.

Oh well. Just have to hope that Signet is at the whisky fringe.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:18 pm

Yello to Mello wrote:I have to respond to this thread to again express my bitterness (no irony intended) towards having Nectar D'Or unavailable to me. :x

And may I reciprocate by expressing my bitterness that I find George T Stagg unavailable to me; as were the Buffalo Trace Experimental bottlings; as is Cougar (from Australia); as is Blaue Maus (from Germany)...
Deactivated Member

Postby DanAir » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:21 pm

I walked past Harrods today and they had a full window display of Glenmo Signet (alongside all the Bond stuff). Looks like Glenmorangie's efforts to premiumise at work.
DanAir
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:12 pm

tasted all of these last weekend......

la santa - bloody awful

quinta - nope

nectar - even worse - way too sweet

the new range is not for me im afraid

ash .
Deactivated Member

Postby Secesh » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:59 pm

Is the new 'Original' 10yr different that the old 10yr? The reason I ask is because I had a 10yr this weekend which I enjoyed, and I had the old about a year ago which I did not like at all.
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:10 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
But the Signet was the star of the show - a very luscious, rich and smooth dram.

Great job on the notes, Nick! What else did you like?
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:12 pm

Thanks - I enjoyed them all. Glenmorangie is one of my favourite distilleries. Although I did enjoy the Original, I'd say that one made me a little sad as it has replaced the excellent 10yo as was.
Deactivated Member

Postby TFatTWE » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:39 pm

Gents,

My tasting notes on six Glenmorangies including Signet here:

http://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/?p=459

Basically, much the same opinion as most previous posters - decent product but slightly too expensive. Perhaps if they hadn't gone quite so OTT on the packaging they could have brought it in around £85, which I think would have been a fairer price for this malt.

Aplogies for the self-promotion :wink:

Cheers,

Tim
TFatTWE

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:51 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:ash, is that why you just bought all the old glenmorangie wood finishes?

yup

much prefered the original series

ash .
Deactivated Member

Related whiskies : Glenmorangie Signet

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder