Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Clynelish 14 Sulfured Mess

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Clynelish , Clynelish 14 Years Old

Clynelish 14 Sulfured Mess

Postby CousinLarry » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:34 pm

I picked up a bottle of Clynelish 14 for 39.99, which seemed like a decent deal since is is over $60 in Virginia. The nose and taste are just totally rotten. There is a sharp chemical like burn that obliterates any good flavors. I looked it up in the whiskey bible and Murray says the recent batches are tainted with sulfur. Well, I guess I know what that tastes like now. :yuk: This is the first bottle I have purchased that is just completely undrinkable.

Apparently the older bottles are ok but the ones with the new packaging that claim consistency should be avoided. Has anyone else tried this lately and found the same thing or did I just happen to get one bad bottle?
CousinLarry

Re: Clynelish 14 Sulfured Mess

Postby Dubois » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:39 pm

Same experience over here, but it was about 2 years ago...
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby CousinLarry » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:03 pm

Dubois wrote:Same experience over here, but it was about 2 years ago...

Besides what Murray wrote, everything I had ever read about Clynelish was really positive. Is it possible there are just a few really off bottles out there. Either way I won't be buying it again.
CousinLarry

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:07 pm

I can understand why you don't want to risk buying it again, but its a real shame because when it is good its really good. Fortunately, I've never had the bad experience you mention, but you've made me nervous about buying it again.
Willie JJ

Postby Dubois » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:14 pm

This recalls a joke over here from a few years ago:
What means SABENA ? (our late Belgian Air Company)
Such A Bad Experience Never Again...
Dubois

Postby CousinLarry » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:30 pm

Willie JJ wrote:I can understand why you don't want to risk buying it again, but its a real shame because when it is good its really good. Fortunately, I've never had the bad experience you mention, but you've made me nervous about buying it again.

I would consider an independent bottling, but I would certainly check a review of it first.
CousinLarry

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:36 pm

I had a bottle from Oddbins recently and it was fine (I think they still have it cheap).

Maybe it would be worth noting batch numbers?
Deactivated Member

Postby talisker10 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:45 pm

I had a bottle in June in Sweden. Never finished it. I had a similar experience. It was rough and chemical in taste.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:46 pm

Larry, stick the bottle in the back of the cupboard. Forget about it for awhile. Rediscover it in 6 months to a year.

Someone once brought what he thought was the worst whisky (obviously, they hadn't tried Drumguish or Loch Dhu). It was supposed to have been completely overwhelmed by the sulphur. When he gave me a sample I said it wasn't so bad...a tad sulphury but not bad. He hadn't had a dram in about 9 months. When he tried it he couldn't believe how remarkably different the palate was.

Don't give up hope yet. If in a year's time it hasn't worked out well then it's time to give up.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby CousinLarry » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:58 pm

Ganga wrote:Larry, stick the bottle in the back of the cupboard. Forget about it for awhile. Rediscover it in 6 months to a year.

Someone once brought what he thought was the worst whisky (obviously, they hadn't tried Drumguish or Loch Dhu). It was supposed to have been completely overwhelmed by the sulphur. When he gave me a sample I said it wasn't so bad...a tad sulphury but not bad. He hadn't had a dram in about 9 months. When he tried it he couldn't believe how remarkably different the palate was.

Don't give up hope yet. If in a year's time it hasn't worked out well then it's time to give up.

I will give this a try. I guess it is better than pouring $40 down the kitchen sink.
CousinLarry

Postby pkt77242 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:54 am

I bought a bottle of Clynelish 14yo about a year ago and it is unopened in the back of my cabinet. After reading this I am not too thrilled to open it. Well I may have to open it sometime this week to find out how it is. I will report back after opening it.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby UUNetBill » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:56 am

pkt77242 wrote:I bought a bottle of Clynelish 14yo about a year ago and it is unopened in the back of my cabinet. After reading this I am not too thrilled to open it. Well I may have to open it sometime this week to find out how it is. I will report back after opening it.

Sean

Sean,

I hate to see a fellow whisky drinker suffer. :yuk:

By all means, send me the bottle and I'll open it for you. Good or bad, I'll run interference for ya. . .it's the least I can do.

:dead:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby pkt77242 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:13 am

Just opened my Clynelish 14yo OB. I will try to be nice to it. It tastes extremely cloyingly sweet. It reminds me of a Glenfiddich that I had once at a bar that tasted like kool aid. Ok it wasn't quite that sweet but you get the point. To be fair to the whisky there is a little spice mixed in there that takes it from awful to bad. I am hoping that Ganga is right and that a little time open will help.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:18 am

CousinLarry wrote:I picked up a bottle of Clynelish 14 for 39.99, which seemed like a decent deal since is is over $60 in Virginia. The nose and taste are just totally rotten. There is a sharp chemical like burn that obliterates any good flavors. I looked it up in the whiskey bible and Murray says the recent batches are tainted with sulfur. Well, I guess I know what that tastes like now. :yuk: This is the first bottle I have purchased that is just completely undrinkable.

Apparently the older bottles are ok but the ones with the new packaging that claim consistency should be avoided. Has anyone else tried this lately and found the same thing or did I just happen to get one bad bottle?

Though in all fairness mine didn't taste as bad as his.
:yuk:

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:21 pm

The Clynelish 14 doesn't have that bad of taste, it's the odour like a really cheap perfume I find offensive. In other words if you can get past the smell you've got it licked! :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby borgom » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:03 am

Seems a shame to write off this whisky because of one bad bottle.
I've only recently tried it for the first time and thought it was one of the best core range bottlings i've tried (in an affordable price range).
I agree with Ganga, put the bottle away and try it in a few months.
I suppose there's always the possiblity it is simply not to your taste.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:47 am

Wow, this is surprising. I had a bottle earlier this year (or maybe late last year) and absolutely loved it. I thought it was really well put together and didn't get any of the unpleasantness described here. Now I'm afraid to buy another bottle. I don't want to taint my fond memories!
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:20 am

shoganai wrote:Wow, this is surprising. I had a bottle earlier this year (or maybe late last year) and absolutely loved it. I thought it was really well put together and didn't get any of the unpleasantness described here. Now I'm afraid to buy another bottle. I don't want to taint my fond memories!

Shoganai,

My bottle is from 2005, so as long as the bottle is recently bottled mine won't be from the same batch.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Rob B » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:38 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the bottle I finished recently and I intend to repeat the experience when I can find some at a sensible price over here. Fingers crossed that I don't find a rogue bottle.

Rob
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby I_SPEY » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:30 pm

I just finished one, but it was :P
:o
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby Red_Arremer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:33 pm

One of the Best core range bottlings-- that's definetly my experience of Clynelish 14.

Not to insult anyone out there, but I think its possible that Clynelish is in a style they aren't familiar with: it's a bold idiosyncratic coastal highland with no sherry. It has a complex and somewhat odd flavor that I haven't encountered in any other easy to find popular SMS OB's (other SMS's in this style are the Glen Abyn from Blackadder and G&M's fairly recent Millburn).

Anyways- as a whisky with strong flavors that are unrelated to peat, sherry, or plain old oak, I think it's bound to excite the admiration of some and strike others as weird and unappealing.
Red_Arremer

Postby CousinLarry » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Red_Arremer wrote:One of the Best core range bottlings-- that's definetly my experience of Clynelish 14.

Not to insult anyone out there, but I think its possible that Clynelish is in a style they aren't familiar with: it's a bold idiosyncratic coastal highland with no sherry. It has a complex and somewhat odd flavor that I haven't encountered in any other easy to find popular SMS OB's (other SMS's in this style are the Glen Abyn from Blackadder and G&M's fairly recent Millburn).

Anyways- as a whisky with strong flavors that are unrelated to peat, sherry, or plain old oak, I think it's bound to excite the admiration of some and strike others as weird and unappealing.

Under the sulfur in the awful bottle I have at home I can taste some the elements of a great dram, but they are completely muddled by the chemical sting of sulfur.

I did email Diageo and heard back right away. They sent me a claim number and told me to give them a call, which I will probably do tonight. I'll report back.

And for the record I am not one to make a fuss easily. I tried around 40 different drams at a tasting a few weeks ago and while I didn't love them all none where undrinkable. The bottle is simply undrinkable.
CousinLarry

Postby IainB » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:00 pm

It's quite a while sice I visited my curret bottle but I didn't find any sulphur at all. It wasn't in my mind the more complex thing I'd ever tasted but a nice easy going drink in the vein of Glenmo or Oban. That said, it's been a while. I'll try one later and report what I find.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:01 am

CousinLarry wrote:I did email Diageo and heard back right away. They sent me a claim number and told me to give them a call, which I will probably do tonight. I'll report back.

Cuz - keep us posted, would you please? With the apparent death of customer service these days, I'd love to hear a happy story.

8)
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:07 am

First of all let me say that I don't want to doubt any bad experiences one may have had with a bad Clynelish 14. Having said that I feel a we should be a little carefull making it the new pet hate object aka Bowmore FWP. I've had several bottles of Clynelish 14 and it stays firmly among my favourites; delicate with its summer fruits and a lovely sweet and warm marzipan-like scent and smell. I've never had a bad bottle of Clynelish and I fear people start to see bad bottles where there are none. The powers of imagination and all that.
Mr Fjeld

Postby borgom » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:15 am

Surely you're not suggesting the Bowmore criticisms were due to people imagining that strange taste? :)
I think it's fair to say don't worry about it unless you experience it yourself.
And even then, i've opened a sub standard bottle of Laga recently and I'm sure not going to stop drinking Laga because of one bottle.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby kenmont » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:45 pm

I purchased a bottle of Clynelish 14 about 8 months ago and was down to the last few ounces whien I decided to spring for another bottle. Since I had some remaining scotch from the first bottle, I was in a good position to make a side-by-side comparison between the former and the latter...and there is a difference; however, it is not a sulphur laden dram that others have experienced.

The first bottle's contents took a few drops of water to bring out the malty, oily, briny character of the Clynelish 14. The sweet, oily, somewhat smoky nuances were quite evident.

My new bottle can be consumed straight and does not seem to have the malt depth, smokiness, or barrel aged quality of the original bottle. This is not to say that the second bottle's contents are not enjoyable, but not as immensely so as the former experience. In the second bottle I cannot detect any overt sulphur that others have reported on. In addition, I do not see any way to distinguish a batch number or bottling number that is characteristic on other SM bottles.

Ken
kenmont

Postby Klas » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:28 pm

I recently bought a bottle of Clynelish, 14 years, here in Sweden.
Not much sulphur in this one (maybe a slight element if I look for it).

Wave wrote:The Clynelish 14 doesn't have that bad of taste, it's the odour like a really cheap perfume I find offensive.

I totally agree with Wave. It doesn't smell very nice, but the taste was quite nice.
Klas
Silver Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:37 am

I went through several bottles a few years ago and it was always a unique favorite. I don't doubt a new batch may be considerably different as I ran into that problem recently with another distillery. I still have a couple bottles of the Clynelish 14yo from that period, code #L15X02040140. The code is on the glass above the back label, dot matrix type black letters. I'm not sure how to decipher, but I know they are at least 3 years old. I wouldn't be put off by one bad bottle, but I might try to find a different batch to compare and also try an IB for variety.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Clynelish , Clynelish 14 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder