Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live London 2009 (27-28 Feb)

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Whisky Live London 2009 (27-28 Feb)

Postby Matt2 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:13 pm

Whisky Live London 2009
Join the UK's premier whisky tasting event

Where
The Hurlingham Club, Ranelagh Gardens, London, SW6 3PR

When
Friday 27th February - Saturday 28th February

Now in its 9th year Whisky Live London is moving to a prestigious new venue, the Hurlingham Club in west London, as a reflection of its status as the UK's leading premium drinks show experience.

Bordering the Thames in Fulham, and set in 42 acres of magnificent grounds, the Hurlingham Club is a gem of international renown. The striking Georgian Clubhouse mixes timeless elegance with up to date facilities and services, and its easy access to tube and train make it the perfect setting for a celebration of the very best whiskies of the world.

New for 2009
  • Fine dining
  • Whisky and food combinations
  • Whisky and food Masterclasses and stage presentations
  • Whisky places - display maps of the distillery producing nations of the world
  • Taxi/limousine service
  • Outdoor areas available within the 42 acre gardens of the Hurlingham Club
  • New range of tickets including Friday's Gala Evening experience and group discounts
  • Whisky tour - experience the show under the private guidance of one of our whisky hosts
  • Book signings
  • Coopering displays

Visit the Whisky Live London 2009 website for more information and to book your tickets.
Matt2

Re: Whisky Live London 2009

Postby les taylor » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:22 pm

Thanks Matt. Looking forward to this already. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby raysa » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:46 pm

Well this event has been ruled out for me by the extremely unwelcome pricing. Fridays are far more convenient to me than Saturday but the Friday 'gala evening' ruse has put it out of reach.

It's supposed to be a whisky fair for heaven's sake. I don't want a 'wide range of fine dining' - I want to taste some whiskies and perhaps have a simple snack to keep me going. I don't want live music and entertainment - I want to taste some whiskies. I don't want a hyped-up glitzy gala experience - I want to taste some whiskies. And I don't want to pay through the nose for some miniatures of whiskies that are not of my choosing - the point of going to a whisky fair is to identify some whiskies that I do want to buy, and have some money left over to buy them.

I'm also deeply unimpressed with the change of venue. For very many people a five-minute walk from Victoria is far more convenient than a multi-change trek into the suburbs.

Poor show all round - count me out.

Ray :x :evil: :evil:
raysa

Postby cakebread » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:02 am

I am most disappointed that after attending the last 5 Whisky Live London I will be unable to attend Whisky Live 2009 due to the high price of the gala evening. Being a pensioner my spare money is very limited.
Irrespective of the price if I were to attend I could only stay for a few hours before my long journey by bus/underground train in order to catch a train which reaches my local station before the last local bus.
Saturday would involve an additional problem in that network rail has decided to carry out engineering work.
Like Raysa I am not interested in luxury surroundings and unwanted music. I attend these events surprisingly to taste the whiskies and chat to the experts.
I am very surprised that with the present financial difficulties facing this country it has deemed wise to increase the price by 100%.
No doubt the no. of exhibitors will yet again be below the previous years.
Bruce
cakebread

Postby eggs » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:13 pm

I think the Gala night is a good idea. I think people who are new to these events may be keen to attend a dinner/dance type experience. I have not been to the London version of the event but have been to the Glasgow version and I am really looking forward to this. There will be a group of us going and the fact that its a dinner/dance has proven far more appealing to my better half.

Sometimes a change to an event like this re-invigorates the event. After all if its the same format every year it would become a bit stale year after year.

I understand the problem some may have with the pricing and for pensioners there should probably be a discount.

I hope any doubters changer theirs minds and if you decide to go hopefully see you there.
eggs

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:34 pm

It's a bit posh, will I be allowed in?
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Pippa Tomson » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi Eggs

Just wanted to let you know that Friday evening isn't a dinner/dance but you are right, we're trying to make the event better this year and attract more companies and people.
Pippa Tomson
Whisky Live Events Manager

Postby Pippa Tomson » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Paul A Jellis wrote:It's a bit posh, will I be allowed in?

Of course - everyone's welcome!
Pippa Tomson

Postby LagaDrinker » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:15 pm

How do I go about purchasing extra sample vouchers on the day?

Also my wife bought my tickets for me so all I have is the confimation email, do I just present this at the door and it will be enough to let me in or should I receive some tickets?
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby Pippa Tomson » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:00 pm

Extra vouchers will be available on the day from the Whisky Magazine stand priced at £1 each.

Yes, just bring the confirmation email with you and you can collect your tickets
Pippa Tomson

Postby LagaDrinker » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:21 am

Thank you Pippa. Looking forward to it immensely :thumbsup:
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby bacchus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:25 am

When will the remaining Masterclasses be announced, if any ?
bacchus

Postby Rob Allanson » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 am

bacchus wrote:When will the remaining Masterclasses be announced, if any ?

They will be up as soon as possible. I know Dave is finalising his whisky, and I am doing the same.

Pippa will let you know as soon as others are ready.

cheers
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:32 pm

OK, I've just booked my ticket for Saturday so see you all there!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:40 pm

Paul A Jellis wrote:OK, I've just booked my ticket for Saturday so see you all there!

Paul I'll look out for you. :)
les taylor

Postby arkle » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:39 pm

No updated news on the masterclasses yet I see, I have been planing to come on the Sat, but the list of exhibitors is painfully slim,are there any more?
:shock:
arkle
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:04 pm

Rob Allanson wrote:
bacchus wrote:When will the remaining Masterclasses be announced, if any ?

They will be up as soon as possible. I know Dave is finalising his whisky, and I am doing the same.

I enjoyed the line-up you had in Glasgow Rob. There were no duffers there.
Willie JJ

Postby LagaDrinker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:37 pm

I would love to know what the other master classes are going to be. Really looking forward to the event. Less than four weeks now :D
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby Lucas » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:22 pm

Will be there. Should be madness.
Lucas

Postby bacchus » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:14 am

Seems most are going on Saturday. Since this is my first, I was thinking to do Friday, but now I am wondering if that is worth it.....

And can you buy some bottles at some sort of discounted or promotional price ?
bacchus

Postby Pippa Tomson » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:37 pm

bacchus wrote:Seems most are going on Saturday. Since this is my first, I was thinking to do Friday, but now I am wondering if that is worth it.....

And can you buy some bottles at some sort of discounted or promotional price ?

The Whisky Shop will be at the show but it is up to them if they have any discounts or promotions on.
Pippa Tomson

Postby JimP » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:38 pm

Is it me or does the planning seem to be alot slower this year. The masterclasses are not fully out yet and the distilleries look very thin on the ground.
I have my ticket but i do hope it wont be a disapointment.
JimP

Postby bacchus » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:06 am

I agree, I sent a PM to PIPPA, but it seems it is stuck in my outbox !

Anyhow, I am wondering if Friday is a good day for the consumer like myself. And I am very surprised that only 2 out of 6 of the masterclasses are planned , and now a basic third, no Ardbeg or Glenmorangie or Japanese .

What is the prog for friday exactly? is it sitting for presentations and awards while having some snacks ? Is there any stage show related to whisky or something ?
It feels more for the industry then us consumers...

It seems, friday is for the industry, and saturday is for the consumer.

So I guess I will join the saturday crowd.

Anyone knows how much is the voucher ?
bacchus

Postby Rob Allanson » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:43 am

bacchus wrote:
Anyhow, I am wondering if Friday is a good day for the consumer like myself. And I am very surprised that only 2 out of 6 of the masterclasses are planned , and now a basic third, no Ardbeg or Glenmorangie or Japanese .

I know the premise of my class is to be an introduction...trust me that you will not be disappointed with the whiskies....just taken delivery of some rather pleasant English spirit....

Also I will alert Pippa to her PMs
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby Pippa Tomson » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:43 pm

JimP wrote:Is it me or does the planning seem to be alot slower this year. The masterclasses are not fully out yet and the distilleries look very thin on the ground.
I have my ticket but i do hope it wont be a disapointment.

Hi JimP

We are getting late bookings this year but there isn't much we can do about that. As soon as I have any more masterclass information I'll put them online for everyone.

Pippa
Pippa Tomson

Postby Pippa Tomson » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:44 pm

bacchus wrote:I agree, I sent a PM to PIPPA, but it seems it is stuck in my outbox !

Anyone knows how much is the voucher ?

Hi - have just replied to your PM and vouchers are £1 each
Pippa Tomson

Postby Pippa Tomson » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi All

I've just put some more masterclasses online and I'm waiting for one more so will put that up as soon as I get the information

Thanks
Pippa
Pippa Tomson

Postby r900p » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:50 pm

I've always wanted to go to Whisky Live London and make a weekend of it with the girlfriend. But to me there doesn't seem to be that many stands compared with other festivals. Unless i'm missing something. Is the list on the website as update as possible, i guess some still have to confirm.

On the Friday can one just walk round the stands. We will have just come off the train, dropped bags at hotel and probably not want to sit down with fine dining, but rather stretch the legs. Saturday would be shopping as that would be the compromise for whisky on Friday.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:02 pm

r900p wrote:I've always wanted to go to Whisky Live London and make a weekend of it with the girlfriend. But to me there doesn't seem to be that many stands compared with other festivals. Unless i'm missing something. Is the list on the website as update as possible, i guess some still have to confirm.

On the Friday can one just walk round the stands. We will have just come off the train, dropped bags at hotel and probably not want to sit down with fine dining, but rather stretch the legs. Saturday would be shopping as that would be the compromise for whisky on Friday.

Rob

Rob swap your itinery round. Do whisky Live on the saturday. Shopping on Friday. We've booked our tickets for saturday. It would be great to meet you there. :)
les taylor

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:04 pm

les taylor wrote:
r900p wrote:I've always wanted to go to Whisky Live London and make a weekend of it with the girlfriend. But to me there doesn't seem to be that many stands compared with other festivals. Unless i'm missing something. Is the list on the website as update as possible, i guess some still have to confirm.

Rob

Rob swap your itinery round. Do whisky Live on the saturday. Shopping on Friday. We've booked our tickets for saturday. It would be great to meet you there. :)

If you are going to take in a masterclass you need to be there all day from start to finish. And you still won't have time to take in everything. You know it makes sense.
les taylor

Postby LagaDrinker » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Less than three weeks to go!

There are 28 stands confirmed on the website so far. I think thats very good.

See you there Les?
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:02 pm

LagaDrinker wrote:Less than three weeks to go!

There are 28 stands confirmed on the website so far. I think thats very good.

See you there Les?

Looking forward to it. You'll recoqnize me, I'm the kangaroo. :wink:
les taylor

Postby r900p » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:15 pm

Problem is Les we won't get in til late afternoon, both working the morning so we can't shop on Friday and i can't see the good lady wanting to spend all day tasting, its getting the trade off!

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:24 pm

r900p wrote:Problem is Les we won't get in til late afternoon, both working the morning so we can't shop on Friday and i can't see the good lady wanting to spend all day tasting, its getting the trade off!

Rob

Rob problem solved. Late night shopping on a friday. See you on the saturday. :thumbsup:
les taylor

Postby r900p » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:56 pm

les taylor wrote:
Rob problem solved. Late night shopping on a friday. See you on the saturday. :thumbsup:

Off to make the phone call now starting 'honey, you know...'
r900p
Double Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder