Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bruichladdich Peat! Opinions anyone?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Bruichladdich Peat! Opinions anyone?

Postby kwellada » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:57 pm

My girlfriend is eying a bottle of Bruichladdich's Peat expression which she saw in stock at the liquor store a couple days ago. We've tried the 15 year old and the recent Links edition in the nifty metal tin. I rather liked the Links...in fact, it ranks as one my favorites of the summer.

Anyhow, since at the moment we're on a bit of a tight budget, I was hoping to get some opinions on Peat before we spend the money on it. Just for the record, we both LOVE Ardbegs and Islays rank highly in this household. Just curious if some other folks have tried this and what they thought of it.
kwellada

Re: Bruichladdich Peat! Opinions anyone?

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:18 pm

I haven't tried the "Peat" myself I have tried the two former versions (3D3 Peat Proposal and Moine Mohr) and I find they have very different "peat character" than the typical Ardbeg. While the Ardbeg "Peat" is more herbal the peaty Bruichladdich seems to be more "ash-like" in comparison. It doesn't make it any worse for it just different. I think the reason might be that Bruichladdich source their peated malt from a mainland supplier while Ardbeg use malt from the Port Ellen Maltings factory.

And welcome to the forum by the way :)
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kwellada » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:25 pm

Thanks, Mr. Fjeld! This forum looks to be hours information and fun.

I know what you mean by the difference in the peat between Ardbegs and Bruichladdichs. Thanks for the bit of insight :)
kwellada

Postby Joe Banks » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:03 pm

Bruichladdie Peat is not available here yet, so far as I know - and I have looked now and then. I have had two of the heavily peated 3D series and really loved them. I'd be very interested in anyone's opinion who has compared 3D2 or 3D3 to Peat. If Peat is as good, I'll be buying it as soon as it shows up on the shelves.
cheers,
JB
Joe Banks

Postby r900p » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:21 pm

If you can get a 3D3 i'd get that. The Peat i'm afraid i don't rate and found i had to pour it and leave it for 20 mins then go back to it to find it quite pleasant.

But like any malt its personal opinion.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:52 pm

r900p wrote:If you can get a 3D3 i'd get that. The Peat i'm afraid i don't rate and found i had to pour it and leave it for 20 mins then go back to it to find it quite pleasant.

But like any malt its personal opinion.

Rob

I also prefer the 3D3 Peat Proposal. It's better than the Moine Mohr - but having said that I much prefer the lighter unpeated Bruichladdichs such as the old 10 which has a wonderful character of delicious almost overripe pear juice, butterscotch and citrus!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Joe Banks » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:12 am

Hmm I may stick with my 3D then. I sure like that.

I haven't tried the 10 yo old but I have the 15 yo second edition and that is excellent. I prefer the peated Laddie to the unpeated personally but enjoy both styles. My favorite are the Links expressions which have a nice fruitiness and some nice peat thrown in too.
Joe Banks

Postby Wave » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:00 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:I also prefer the 3D3 Peat Proposal. It's better than the Moine Mohr -

I've wrote that I liked the 3D2 better, but the 3D3 is growing on me. I had thought that the 3D1 wasn't as good, I had a dram of it recently and now I don't know which is my favorite. The Peat isn't available here yet though if/when it is I'll get (at least) one, for comparison sake of course! :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Knolly » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:11 am

Hey kwellada!

Nice to see another BCer on here!

The Peat is new to BCLS from the last couple of weeks, since their whisky release - nice to have an increased range of whiskies here in BC, even if they are on the expensive side.

I've had all three of the previous Bruichladdich peated expressions and i've really liked them (Peat Proposal, Moine Mhor and 3D3). It was a toss up between the 2nd and 3rd edition as to what one I liked the best, but I really enjoyed all of them. A friend and I even ordered a couple of cases of the Moine Mhor about a year and a half ago and there are only one or two bottles left!

I haven't had the new Peat so I can't give you an answer, except to say that I enjoyed all of the earlier releases so hopefully this one lives up to its expectations.

Also, the 3Ds are quite different than Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig. They really are peaty - much more so than the regular bottlings from the standard three Islays - and a lot less smoky / medicinal / tarry / leathery. The 3Ds had a nice alcohol kick as well - not in a bad way, but in a way that causes your taste buds to salivate.

They might not be the highest scoring whiskies around as far as the "official rankings" go for what ever that's worth, but they are high on the fun factor and easily drinkable for such a, well, peaty whisky. They are also reasonably affordable which is nice as well. Hopefully the new Peat will be as good as the earlier versions. If you pick it up, let us know your opinions.

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby kwellada » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:59 pm

Knolly wrote:Hey kwellada!

Nice to see another BCer on here!

Indeed! Thanks for your thoughts on the Peat. It's very likely while I'm away for the next month my girlfriend will pick up a bottle and report back to me. If I'm really lucky, there'll be enough for a sip when I get back home in late December.

I am glad to see BCLS trying to add to their range, even if the prices are painful compared to other parts of the world (namely, Seattle Washington or Grand Junction, Colorado). Fortunately, I'm the type of person who otherwise has little desire to spend money on anything, so what spending money I do have goes to whisky.
:thumbsup:
kwellada

Postby anationonfire » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:00 pm

Welcome dude, what is the Peat worth over there? I have not seen it here yet.
I have 3D2 And 3D3 and am looking forward to trying to peat (hopefully with a lower price tag)
Last edited by anationonfire on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anationonfire
Gold Member

Postby petrol9to5 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:01 pm

I also havent tried the peat yet, but look forward to giving it a go. I can recommend the 3D2 Moine Mhor - a lovely dram, very much like a "little sister" to the PC 6 that I have on the go at the moment, and a darned sight cheaper too !
petrol9to5

Postby kwellada » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:32 pm

anationonfire wrote:Welcome dude, what is the Peat worth over there? I have not seen it here yet.
I have 3D2 And 3D3 and am looking forward to trying to peat (hopefully with a lower price tag)

I believe it's going for just under $80 at the BCLS.
kwellada

Postby Lawrence » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:40 am

I tried it last week in Calgary and found it to be good, a few elbows but a drinkable dram, I scored it 83 points.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby thedartster69 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:02 am

i've gotta say i found the new "Peat" pretty poor - the whisky was really one dimensional and a poor almost cheesy aftertaste. i was really looking forward to this release as i am a big laddie fan plus the price seemed good but to be honest spend a few more £ or $ and there are so many better laddies out there - the 16 bourbon is excellent as too the new Waves
thedartster69

Postby Peatlover » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:12 am

I have tried both the Waves & the Peat. Being a lover of peat...i had high hopes. I much preferred the Waves. I highly recommend it.
Peatlover

Postby r900p » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:20 pm

This is growing on me albeit slowly. Can think of other bottles i prefer.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby vrbin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:07 pm

I have tried Peat month ago and I would say that 3D2 Moine Mhor (got a bottle) is better. As someone already said Peat seemed to me to be one dimensional compared to 3D2. But truth is that for few months my tastes are not too peat-friendly :D and I prefer speysiders and highlanders now (Aberlour 12 sherry cask and Glenmorangie 10)...
vrbin

Postby triguy42 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:02 am

Here are my tasting notes for Peat:

Nose: 22, sweet gristy peat and smoke, oak and malt
Taste: 23, light entry then peppery gristy peat with late smoky oak
Finish: 22, long peppery burn with bits of oil and oaky malt
Balance: 22, Much oilier than expected for a Bruichladdich, missing some depth and complexity as a result

Personally I preferred the 3D2 and 3D3 to the new Peat, but all are definitely good bottlings. The peppery character of the new Peat is pretty impressive, almost Talisker-like but without the sourness. I was surprised at the oiliness, almost more like a Caol Ila from a few years ago than a Bruichladdich. Overall an 87 isn't too bad, and it's still a pretty powerful malt. A little tweaking and it would be really nice!
triguy42

Postby lohssanami » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:23 am

I never tried the original Peat Proposal, but I have tried the 3D2, 3D3 and Peat. I like the 3D2 the best, and the 3D3 edges out the Peat, but it is still a pleasant bottle to try out if you want to get a little 'Laddie Peat.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby bond » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:09 am

I tried this whisky a few months ago and I would not go in for a repeat purchase.

its not a bad whisky but frankly it comes across as a 'Laddie trying to be an Ardbeg.

Bruichladdich is one of my favourite whiskies..but I believe its distinctiveness as an islay is lost in a wannabe attempt to pack a peatier punch
bond
Gold Member

Postby triguy42 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:29 am

I have a bottle of 3D2, 3D3 and the new Peat, and overall Peat is a good whisky. Here's my tasting notes:

Nose: sweet gristy peat and smoke, oak and malt
Taste: light entry then peppery gristy peat with late smoky oak
Finish: long peppery burn with bits of oil and oaky malt
Balance: Much oilier than expected for a Bruichladdich, missing some depth and complexity as a result.

Overall I gave it an 89 where Laphroaig 10yr and Ardbeg 10yr would get a 92-95 depending on the bottle. It almost has a Caol Ila-ish oiliness to it that sort of stomps on the complexity. I'll have to retaste the 3D2 and 3D3 because I can't find my notes, but IIRC I liked them a little bit more than the Peat. I would probably buy it again as long as the price stays down.
triguy42

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:53 pm

Well I just got a bottle of "PEAT" for christmas from my father in law who being a Scot himself always tends to go for something different with me:

e.g.

Nikka 15 last birthday - great!

Amrut standard 2 xmasses ago...and toungue firmly in his Scottish cheek, as he knows I have "Indian" tastes in food and gurus! Returned the compliment this time with the "Fusion" which really is excellent. One moment you think you're drinking Glenlivet, the next, Talisker!

Glenrothes select. Sherry Macallan's delicate, gentle sister!
Compass box Asyla - the best blend I ever tasted?
Bowmore First Cask 22YO - outstanding.

So how does the "Peat" compare?

I agree with the two posters who said "one-dimensional". That was my first impression. :|

I find it entertaining, frisky, peaty, lovely nose(the best part for me - like a gentle nicely balanced Ardbeg or Caol Ila) a sweet delivery - highly reminiscent of Lappie quarter cask...but somehow lacking the complexity of the QC and the standard 10. It boasts "no medicinal notes" as if that's a selling point - something to be avoided, but I kinda miss those tarry TCP notes!

Not bad, and fun, for sure...but the finish ain't so special, and this is where the "medicinal" notes of it's South Shore brethren come into play, leaving a long - lasting freshness on the palate that "PEAT" lacks.

Think I'll try blending it with some Lochnagar my mother gave me. She 's 86, her marbles don;t roll as they used to, and whenever she asks me for a whisky I like I say "Lagavulin."

Ah, well - it begins with an "L"!

On a "Jim Murray" soapbox I'd give PEAT 86/100, with the add that the last OB Laddie I remember trying was the OB Bluebottle 15, and it had a delicate character all its own which the PEAT does slightly lack.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder