Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Crown Royal Bottle

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Crown Royal

Crown Royal Bottle

Postby badboy69 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:46 am

I recentely did some work for my Uncle he then gave me a bottle of Crown Royal that was in the box and never opened. He told me it was over 30 years old. Can you tell how old this really is by the Proof of Purchase seal or by the numbers on the bottle? The tax seal on the box is gone. Help and thank you in advance for any assistance you may offer.

D.M.
badboy69

Re: Crown Royal Bottle

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:48 pm

I dont know even if I saw the bar code (if they had that 30yrs ago), but at the very least you will have to supply photos of the bottle labeling in question. Maybe someone else can help out on this.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Bruichladdict » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:07 am

It won't matter what the bar code or tax code says on the bottle. It is 6-8 years old. It will always be 6-8 years old. As you know, whiskies don't age any further in the bottle. 30 yrs won't have added much value. If I were you, I would open it, taste it neat, or with a little water. If you like it, finish it that way, add ice if you want ( Novice Scotch Fan has some for you :P ), and if you don't like it, do what everyone else in North America does with it: Crown & Coke, Crown & Ginger, Crown & Soda. :thumbsup:
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:19 pm

If what your uncle said is accurate, that would 'place' your bottle of CR as one distributed around the 1970s. And yes, it is 'just' Crown Royal, with no additional drinking benefit for its (specifically) having been sitting sealed in its bottle all this time.

However, and this despite Diageo's claims to the contrary, I've found that such 'older' CRs do in fact possess a slightly different taste from their contemporary kin. Of course, this may simply be (partially, at least) due to the whisky having altered marginally in the bottle over the interim. But I still harbour a sneaking suspicion that those 'older' CRs, containing as they do product from many of Seagram's long sinced closed distilleries (such as the Waterloo site), have a 'certain something' the newer bottlings don't.

I conducted just such a comparative taste-test a little while back with my brother, and we both agreed that this was the case. So pop the top and enjoy!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Crown Royal

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder