Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie Rum Cask, and Balvenie Signature 12

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Balvenie Rum Cask, and Balvenie Signature 12

Postby clicker7 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:44 am

Hi All:

My local shop just received a special order of Balvenie Rum Cask ($129), and Balvenie Signature ($56).

There were a couple of threads mentioning these, but no one has commented if they had tasted them yet, or posted any notes. They both sound good from the Balvenie web-sight notes, and seem like they may be a bit sweeter/honeyed than the DW or Founders.

Has anyone tasted these yet, or have any tasting notes to post?

I'm a fan of Balvenie and like all of the editions I have tasted. I will probably buy them this week, but just curious if any have tried them, especially the Rum Cask as it's $129 out here.

Thanks,

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Re: Balvenie Rum Cask, and Balvenie Signature 12

Postby Ganga » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:04 pm

I don't recall the rum cask being discussed but I do the Signature. Here is a link to the Live Tasting Thread on Balvenie.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8191

Myself, I didn't care for the Balvenie Signature. Very oaky.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:09 pm

I have three bottles of the Rum Cask 17yo waiting for me to pick up on Saturday and I'll probably open one right away. I'll post here with my thoughts. I know the Signature has hit the U.S., but not in my area yet. I'm a big Balvenie fan and I really liked the Springbank 12yo Rumwood I had a few years ago, so I think the influence will be positive. The Signature 12 is replacing the Founder's Reserve and it should be interesting to try them side by side as well.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:11 pm

Jimi it'll be interesting to see what you make of the Signature, I think the founders reserve is better. It seems to me that the signature is not quite right but I don't know why.
:?
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:39 pm

Les, I think I heard somewhere that the Signature 12 was a batch release, I'll see if I can find the reference, so maybe they'll tinker with it before it gets widespread.

Edit: duh! The Balvenie website says: The Balvenie Signature 12 Year Old is a limited release with each bottle carrying its own batch number.

Edit2: after some more digging I found some video tastings of both the Signature 12 and the Rum Cask 17. David Mair, the global brand ambassador for Balvenie also mentions the limited release for next year is a Madeira Cask 17. Interesting stuff, I see a collection in my future. Here's the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbjZ3uTvPZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuGKpaqz-G8
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby clicker7 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:58 am

Thanks Ganga:

I read the "Balvenie Live Tastings" thread, and it seems folks were mixed on the Balvenie Signature.

I picked up a bottle last night to give it a try, as Balvenie is a regular dram for me.

I found it to have a very subtle nose, light peat, honey, and cereal/malt, but very subtle. Tasting I found it med/light body, sweet, some heat/pepper, oaky or woody, little malt or cereal, with a warm sweetish finish. I think it was more of a sugar, than a honey sweetness also, and I like the sweetness in the Founders, and Doublewood better. An okay dram, but it didn't really did not move me.

Further, I also picked up a little bit of a strange after-taste that I never got from the other Balvenies-- something a little chemical. I remember this taste occasionally in Edradour 10. I don't know if it was just from the oak, but I never picked it up in other Balvenies that I regularly drink.

All in all, I definitely prefer the Founders, Doublewood, and Portwood, and probably would not buy the Signature again.

Thanks,
Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby CousinLarry » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:25 pm

I tried both at the SMWS Tasting in Philadelphia. I tried them early in the night so I got a good impression of both.

The Signature was nothing to write home about. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great I like the Founders a great deal more and there are a number of other drams I would purchase at the same price point before I would buy the signature.

The Rum Cask was great. The Rum was really clean and sweet on the nose, the taste and finish were all Belvenie honey. I found it to be a great dram, but $129 a bottle is a bit steep for me. If I had the extra money I would certainly pick up a bottle.
CousinLarry

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder