Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lagavulin 12yr old single malt whisky-History?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Lagavulin 12yr old single malt whisky-History?

Postby Poppy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi, I would like to find out more about a bottle of Lagavulin pure Islay single malt scotch whisky, white horse distillers ltd. The bottle was given to my mum by her brother over 30 years ago we think and it was a bottle that must have been exported to Cyprus when that country was under British rule. During the Cypriot war- not sure of date when Britain gave its independence, there were many house raids after bombs etc destroyed buildings and this bottle of whisky was found amongst the rubble. It says it was produced under British government supervision and the age is 12 years. It would be quite interesting to find out more. I would be glad of any info as the bottle does have sentimental value. thank you
Poppy

Re: Lagavulin 12yr old single malt whisky-History?

Postby lohssanami » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:39 pm

Welcome to the forums, and it seems like you have a nice bottle of whisky. Do you have any pictures you can upload?

Here is a bottle that is missing the neck label signifying 12 years old, and I'm not sure of the date on this one, but it seems to be older than 1979. It also seems to be an Italian import.

Italian import

Here is one that was bottled in 1979, after the Cypriot War, but it could have similar labels. The date is on the back label.

Belgium import

I'm sure if you can upload a photo, someone here can identify it or point you in the right direction.

Cheers...
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Poppy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:57 pm

Ok i will take some photos and post them thanks for your info. if the bottle is 1979 then it is later than the war so may not have been from then! its hard to remember the events back then. But your photos are very similar to what we have got. Do the bottles have any money value? Not that we are selling but we have no knowledge about whisky and it would be interesting. thanks.
Poppy

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:56 pm

Value is around Euro 500.
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Poppy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi, I will be able to take a picture of bottle on Monday. I have been told that it was given in 1973 and it does not have a label on the back but the bottle has raised writing in the glass with numbers on. It must have been found after the war during the 60's but i am not sure of the date. I think Cyprus has had more than one war. I will post the pictures on Monday. Ok thank you to all who have replied, it is interesting.
Poppy

Postby Poppy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi here are some photos of the bottle, they do not appear to be Belgian or Italian imports as the red writing in red border is not on it? Ok if anyone knows anything that would be good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Poppy

Postby adogranonthepitch » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:38 pm

nice bottle ... value remains at Euro500
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder