Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

maltings

All your whisky related questions answered here.

maltings

Postby JEFFSIXTYTHREE » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:38 am

I have read with interest the process of manaufacture, but there is no explanation of double malt versus single malt, nor grain versus malt
I need help....................HELP

JEFF
JEFFSIXTYTHREE

Re: maltings

Postby Matt2 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:14 pm

I'm sure others here can expand if needed but basically a Single Malt comes from a single distillery, unlike a Blend that contains whisky from various distilleries.

A Double Malt is a double shot of Single Malt :?

And grain whisky is made from a mixed grain, not just barley, I think... maybe some has no barley... anyway, it's not just barley.

:thumbsup:

ps.. Have a look around the magazine section and see if there are any articles about it. You can unlock 25 of them...
Try the Whisky Production category - http://www.whiskymag.com/magazine/categ ... ction.html
Matt2

Postby borgom » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:49 am

Welcome Jeff!
"Double malt" is not (as far as I'm aware) a genuine term. I believe there are certain companies vatting spirit from two different distilleries from the same region (Islay, Speyside, Highland etc) and calling this "double malt".
Just to expand on Matt's comments a little further, single malt must come from one distillery but can be a vatting of many different casks at that distillery. It will only ever be made from malted barley.
A blend may contain a mixture of single malts from many different distilleries together with grain whiskies.
Hope this helps....
I think the Michael Jackson book "Whisky" might be a great read for you as it will probably answer all your questions (and many more you didn't ask).
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:36 am

In Scotland, malt whisky is made from 100% malted barley, in pot stills. This is a batch process--that is, the whisky is made one batch at a time. The still is filled, then run until the wash is spent, and then the process is repeated. Single malt is malt whisky from one distillery. Double malt is a bogus term, with no legitimate definition. Grain whisky is made in column stills. This is a continuous process--the stills can be fed and run continually for as long as desired. Any grain can be used-- corn is usual these days, because it's the cheapest. The purpose of grain whisky is to provide inexpensive bulk for blends, with malts providing the desired flavors. As such, it's not common for grain whisky to be bottled on its own, but it is done. I recall a review of one single grain bottling in WM that was very effusive, owing to the fact that, at the time it was made, barley was the cheapest grain available, and thus the product was more like a malt than most grains (which tend to taste bourbony), although it was made in a column still.
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder