Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The worth of an old bottle of Crown Royal

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Crown Royal

The worth of an old bottle of Crown Royal

Postby jsherry2 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:30 pm

I am looking for anyone that might be able to tell me if my old bottle of crown royal is worth anything. It is from 1965, LESSTHAN 1/2 PINT bottle with the tax stamp and original seal still on the bottle.

thank you for any help
jsherry2

Re: The worth of an old bottle of Crown Royal

Postby Bruichladdict » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:07 pm

This question pops up quite a bit with regards to Canadian Whisky. CR is usually a 6 yo whisky, with a few older whiskies in the mix, and even a touch of bourbon added as flavouring. It is also a blend, so the value of this bottle is probably not very significant. Only the most dedicated Canadian collector would want it...I'm not sure how you would unload it. Since ageing stops once bottled, time has not increased it's value.

Maybe others here have a better take on this, but I would open it and see what CR tasted like in 1965! :wink:
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:31 am

I agree with Bruichladdict, Crown Royal is not known as a collectible, regardless of age. I just checked ebay and it had only one bottle of 1965 Crown Royal mini on auction with a starting bid of ninety nine cents. There were no bids. There were no other old bottles of Crown on ebay. I also checked "The Whiskey Exchange"[i][/i] and they did not have any old Crown Royal for sale which tells me there is not much of a market for this.

If you crossed paths with a Crown Royal nut, maybe you might get $100 for it. As an example, I am a Teachers nut and I am willing to pay for old bottles of the stuff, but I think again I am an exception. Looking at a bottle from the 1940s on the The Whiskey Exchange" matter of fact.

As has been mentioned many times in the past, the collectible market is mostly reserved for single malt blends, something a Canadian rye whiskey will never be.

If I were you, I'd open that bottle and have a taste, or if you have a good friend who likes Rye, give it to him, he will really appreciate it.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:40 pm

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:If I were you, I'd open that bottle and have a taste, or if you have a good friend who likes Rye, give it to him, he will really appreciate it.

Absolutely!

There is an historical aspect to such older bottles of CR, as they date from an era when Seagram actually ran multiple distilling sites across Canada, including the well-known Lasalle and Waterloo operations as well as lesser-known ones such as Amherstburg and Beaupré. Nowadays, to be able to taste a CR that actually contains any quantities of these distillates, you have to opt for the upper echelon offerings such as Special Reserve and XR. The Limited Edition did contain some, but I'm not so sure this is still the case.

Unfortunately, as has already been alluded to, these sorts of considerations don't really matter in the open market unless you happen upon that 'rare' collector specifically interested in what you have to offer.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Crown Royal

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder