Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What is richer than Dalwhinnie 15yo?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Dalwhinnie 15 Years Old

What is richer than Dalwhinnie 15yo?

Postby whiskywoman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:48 am

I really enjoyed the Dalwhinnie and I am currently enjoying HP12. However I really like how smooth Dalwhinnie is. What would you recommend that is similar in smoothness like the Dalwhinnie yet richer in taste?

Thanks for your help!

Irene
whiskywoman

Re: What is richer than Dalwhinnie 15yo?

Postby borgom » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:41 am

Of whiskies with a somewhat similar smooth but full profile you could try Glenmorangie 18 or older, Bunnahabhain 18, Highland Park 18 or Talisker 175th Anniversary.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:05 am

How about Glenrothes ...?
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Wave » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Tomintoul 12 or 16yo.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby whiskywoman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:14 pm

Thanks for the Replies off to go read about them! :thumbsup:
whiskywoman

Postby shulaw05 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:38 am

the other day i bought the balvenie 12 yr signautre (new release). as noted on the balvenie website, "The Balvenie Signature 12 Year Old, is a skilful marriage of three casks - first fill bourbon barrels, refill casks and sherry butts." i found it to be very smooth and rich. intial taste is a light sherry, followed up by rich toffee, honey and vanilla flavors. the finish has dark chocloate notes. it was very enjoyable and i'll definitley be buying another bottle or 2 when i make it back to the store next month.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:49 am

whiskywoman wrote:What would you recommend that is similar in smoothness like the Dalwhinnie yet richer in taste?

Strictly in a Highland vein...

Aberlour 16YO Double Cask
Glenfarclas 12YO or 15YO
Glengoyne 17YO
Strathisla 12YO
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:08 pm

You might try Glenfiddich 15YO Solera Reserve.

Or...Macallan 18YO(NOT "Fine Oak"!) If you've yet to try a whisky fully matured in sherry casks, this may be the best place to start(Tho' expensive!)
RIch and smooth...sherry, fruit, Christmas pudding, dried fruits - they all seem to be there in a good Macallan. If the price of the 18 is a bit high, try the 12, but be sure you get the "Exclusively matured in sherry casks from Jerez"version, as it says on the tin...

When I was last in the USA they had the 12 in many bars, and the 18 was quite common too, so I would recommend a night on the town in search of bars that serve Macallan!

Aberlours and Glenfarclas are good too, but I prefer the Macallan. To me they are state-of -the-art in sherried whiskies.

Probably because it was the Macallan 10 I first I tried..and fell in love!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Sir Dino » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi Irene,

try a Balvenie 21 Port Wood :thumbsup:

Soft, smooth, delicious!
Sir Dino
Bronze Member

Postby kyorke1 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:23 pm

That's what I would suggest.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby shulaw05 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:08 am

Sir Dino wrote:Hi Irene,

Soft, smooth, delicious!

balveine port wood is an excellent sms, but you are getting to a much higher price range than dalwhinnie 15. there are others in the balvenie range that are less expensive...
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby kyorke1 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:18 am

shulaw05 wrote:

Soft, smooth, delicious!

balveine port wood is an excellent sms, but you are getting to a much higher price range than dalwhinnie 15. there are others in the balvenie range that are less expensive...

Yes but are the less expensive Balvenie's that much richer than a Dalwhinnie 15?
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby shulaw05 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:26 am

kyorke1 wrote:
shulaw05 wrote:

Soft, smooth, delicious!

Yes but are the less expensive Balvenie's that much richer than a Dalwhinnie 15?

good point...but i really do think that 12 yr signature is rich and creamy. you should give it a try if you have not, and it is only around $50 per bottle. significantly better than the founders reserve or doublewood.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby kyorke1 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:55 am

Thanks for that, I will have to give it a try.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby Sir Dino » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:36 pm

shulaw05 wrote:good point...but i really do think that 12 yr signature is rich and creamy. you should give it a try if you have not, and it is only around $50 per bottle. significantly better than the founders reserve or doublewood.

I agree with you that the Signature is much better than the Double Wood.

But you can't compare the Signature with the Founder's Reserve. I like the FR very much. A lot of vanilla, honey, IMHO a great influence from Bourbon casks. The Signature has much more Sherry, so it is completely different...

Jim Murray: FR - "just one of those all-time-great standard 10-year-olds from a great distillery..." Nothing more to say... :thumbsup:
Sir Dino
Bronze Member

Postby shulaw05 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:27 pm

[/quote]

I agree with you that the Signature is much better than the Double Wood.

But you can't compare the Signature with the Founder's Reserve. I like the FR very much. A lot of vanilla, honey, IMHO a great influence from Bourbon casks. The Signature has much more Sherry, so it is completely different...

Jim Murray: FR - "just one of those all-time-great standard 10-year-olds from a great distillery..." Nothing more to say... :thumbsup:[/quote]

point taken. however, for the purposes of this question, "what is richer than dalwhinnie 15 yr", i don't think the founders reserve is significantly richer, whereas the sherry influnence in the signature gives it that extra creaminess. don't get me wrong, i enjoy the FR (i currently have a bottle in my cabinet), but i believe the signature is more complex. the sherry flavors help to distinguish and enhance the vanilla and honey notes imo.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby whiskywoman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:48 pm

I went out yesterday to our local store. There was no Balvenie 21 pw, but there was the Signature for $57. A bit high right now for me. :(

Will keep my eyes open.

Thanks everyone for your advice :)
whiskywoman

Postby shulaw05 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:05 pm

whiskywoman wrote:I went out yesterday to our local store. There was no Balvenie 21 pw, but there was the Signature for $57. A bit high right now for me. :(

Will keep my eyes open.

Thanks everyone for your advice :)

how much are you looking to spend?
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby whiskywoman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:56 pm

I'd like to keep it between $30 - $45. I know... :)
whiskywoman

Postby kyorke1 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:21 pm

:lol: That rules out the 21 Portwood then! I picked one up recently for £70 that must be just over $100 just off the top of my head.

I had the Glenmorangie Nectar D'or last night (£39) which I thought was very sweet almost not like drinking whisky at all. Perhaps an alternative if you can get your hands on it in the US.

A few tasting notes and comments at:
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-7068.aspx
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby shulaw05 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:10 am

that 30 - 40 dollar price range really does limit your choices. have you considered trying (or do you know if you like) any bourbons? Buffalo Trace and Four Roses are both excellent bourbons, and are rich and smooth. bt can be had for around $20 per bottle, and the four roses small batch can be had for around $30. Four roses also has a less expensive standard bottle for around $20 (not as good as the small batch though), and a single barrel for around $40.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby whiskywoman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:15 am

I found a bottle of Glenmorangie original for $42.00. Will test drive that one this month.
whiskywoman

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:26 am

Don't be afraid to go for a premium blend .... don't fall into the trap that Single Malt is the best. If you are looking for smooth blends are probably beter at that and there are some high class blends out there. I have many a blend in my cabinet and have the same respect for them as Single Malts.

Don't know what the Johnny Walker Gold is price wise in the states but that is a lovely dram and if your want to stick to malt then JW Green is a blend of Malts only (or sometimes described as pure malt)

What people forget is that there is more skill and art involved in creating a good blend than a Malt.

Just keep your mind open to good whisk(e)y rather than the image of being a Single Malt drinker.

Good luck in your oddesy :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby normal5 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:41 am

Dubois wrote:How about Glenrothes ...?

Just wanting to throw in my 2 cents. So far I have not found a glenrothes that I didn't like. Most follow the signiture characteristics of being smooth and creamy with some citrus, vanilla, and spices. I have on hand the 74, 84,85,91,92, select reserve and the 1979 single cask #13458 (unopened of course). For anyone who hasn't picked up a bottle I would recommend picking up the first bottle you see and exploring the rest of their vintages.
normal5

Postby shulaw05 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:44 am

whiskywoman wrote:I found a bottle of Glenmorangie original for $42.00. Will test drive that one this month.

that's a good bottle, you should enjoy. i also just thought of another, Glendronach 12 year, and it goes for around $40 - $45 a bottle.

also, just commenting on the last two posts, JW Gold is one of my favorite scotches, blend or sms...however, i can't get it for less than $70 a bottle. also, i don't know if i would characterize JW gold as rich. it is extrodanarily well balancend and smooth, but i don't know about rich. As for the Glenrothes, I also have not had a bottle i did not enjoy, but again, except for the select reserve you are going to have a hard time finding a bottle under $65 to $70. as for the describing the taste of glenrothes, to me it is not comparable to any other sms or blend i've ever tasted. about all i could say is it is not peaty.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Just been thinking about drams which are a bit left of field and may be hard to come by for you but could fit your criteria ....

Bladnoch, Imperial or Linkwood if you get these all around the 10-12 year mark they should be very interesting for you.

Bladnoch can have a funny nose at times but don't let that put you off as it is lovely dram.

Imperial is a really fruity dram.

ANd Linkwood has a bit of fruity sweetness also but also citrus.

Also Tyrconnell Irish Single Malt is a lovely sweet dram with pear being a big part of the nose and also apples

However none of these I would associate with Honey or Heather.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby whiskywoman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:08 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Don't be afraid to go for a premium blend .... don't fall into the trap that Single Malt is the best. If you are looking for smooth blends are probably beter at that and there are some high class blends out there. I have many a blend in my cabinet and have the same respect for them as Single Malts. :thumbsup:

I am glad you mentioned that. I have been doing some reading on blended whiskies. There's a Wild Turkey American Honey that sounds very interesting to me. They claim it's very smooth with a rich honey taste. I'd like a bit of spice in it as well but I guess we can't have it all LOL.

I tried the Glenmorangie Original and I prefer the Dalwhinnie over that. The GO tastes much thinner and has a medicine smell and taste to me.
whiskywoman

Postby howaboutthat » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:02 am

How about Dalwhinnie Distiller's Edition? Not cheap, but worth savoring. :thumbsup:
howaboutthat

Postby blacksabb » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:02 am

whiskywoman wrote: There's a Wild Turkey American Honey that sounds very interesting to me. They claim it's very smooth with a rich honey taste.

I've tried that. It's a bourbon based liqueur with a very strong honey taste. It's nice enough, but a very simplistic drink that is overpowered with honey. For simple whisky drinkers (like my dad) who are content to buy nothing but Johnnie Walker Red Label and the like, it's something different and nice.

I don't think however a serious single malt whisky drinker would appreciate it. Like I said, very strong and simplistic.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:27 pm

whiskywoman,
I would recommend in your price range, The Johnnie Walker Green which is about $45 in the states and is a blended malt or Macallan 12yo Sherry matured not Fine Oak. I have found it between $40 and $45 around where I live. Hope this helps on your endeavour.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:20 pm

What is richer than Dalwhinnie 15?

Sir Fred, by about £700,000 per annum... :insane:
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby blacksabb » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:37 pm

whiskywoman wrote:I really enjoyed the Dalwhinnie and I am currently enjoying HP12. However I really like how smooth Dalwhinnie is. What would you recommend that is similar in smoothness like the Dalwhinnie yet richer in taste?

Thanks for your help!

Irene

I haven't tried the Dalwhinnie, but from your post, are you basically saying that it's very smooth but without much flavours? In other words, a straight forward spirit taste, albeit refined.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby Doug1937 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:12 am

I just tried my first Dalwhinnie 15, and it's excellent...well worth the $51 I paid for it. It has an excellent range of flavors IMO.
Doug1937
Bronze Member

Related whiskies : Dalwhinnie 15 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder