Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Rosebank 12 year old Flora & Fauna BOXED

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.
Related whiskies : Rosebank 12 Years Old

Rosebank 12 year old Flora & Fauna BOXED

Postby mjtee » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:20 am

I have a boxed Rosebank 12 year single malt. Igot it when the distillery shut down. I live near the distillery, or what's left of it . I would like to find out the value if I sold it . Should I keep it ?
I've had it for years now, it is genuine.

Thanks

mjtee
mjtee

Re: Rosebank 12 year old Flora & Fauna BOXED

Postby papercrack » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:31 pm

The value has just increased in the last week IMHO

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/scotland/taysid ... 842417.stm
papercrack
Bronze Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Forgive me for being cynical here but are mjtee and papercrack the same person? :?
The theft of Rosebank equipment on i believe 21/1 highlights bottles of Rosebank go for £200 or so as per the thread highlighted by Papercrack on whisky chat, today. About 5 mins later it is also highlighted on this thread roughly 1 day after the thread by mjtee was posted advertising the bottle.
Something is not right here, or is it pure coincidence?
Either way i am not convinced. :|
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:19 pm

I forgot to mention that imho they are worth knowhere near £200.
I have seen the boxed 12 year bottles go for somewhat less than that.
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby papercrack » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:29 pm

No your wrong only post as papercrack. IMHO with the theft of the stills the value of Rosebank will now increase.
papercrack
Bronze Member

Postby r900p » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:24 pm

Privately i have known them to go for £80-£120.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:48 am

Collector57 wrote:Nobody should expect inflation of price from this incident

Except speculators and 'collectors'. . .
:roll:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby mjtee » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:14 am

lincoln imp wrote:Forgive me for being cynical here but are mjtee and papercrack the same person? :?
:|

I can assure you that they are not ! It was the Rosebank news story on TV that reminded me of the bottle I have had for years. I came to this esteemed site for some info. I passed the distillery going to school every day and I can remember it operating. I got the whisky as a momento of the time, not as an investment or to drink. It's as honest a bottle as you would find anywhere ! ( My garage isn't full of old distillation equipment)
mjtee

Postby r900p » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:24 pm

mjtee wrote:I can assure you that they are not ! It was the Rosebank news story on TV that reminded me of the bottle I have had for years. I came to this esteemed site for some info. I passed the distillery going to school every day and I can remember it operating. I got the whisky as a momento of the time, not as an investment or to drink. It's as honest a bottle as you would find anywhere ! ( My garage isn't full of old distillation equipment)

I wish that was my trip to school, i know if my dad took me to schoolwe'd probably stop every other day.

So do you have any interesting memories of Rosebank working or photos?

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:25 pm

mjtee wrote:
lincoln imp wrote:Forgive me for being cynical here but are mjtee and papercrack the same person? :?
:|

I can assure you that they are not ! It was the Rosebank news story on TV that reminded me of the bottle I have had for years. I came to this esteemed site for some info. I passed the distillery going to school every day and I can remember it operating. I got the whisky as a momento of the time, not as an investment or to drink. It's as honest a bottle as you would find anywhere ! ( My garage isn't full of old distillation equipment)

Thanks for the clarification, it is appreciated, no offence meant mjtee but this forum has been open to abuse previously.
LI :thumbsup:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby mjtee » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:05 pm

No problem LI......no offence taken. :wink:
Rob ; photos of Rosebank should be on the web. It is/was situated on the Forth and Clyde canal as it passed through Falkirk. The distillery was on one side of a main road with a whisky bond on the other. The bond has become a Beefeater restaurant which has used the space to good effect, keeping the stonework , iron and wooden beams exposed. The distillery side was behind high brick walls with bars on the windows. I fear it may become trendy apartments soon if it hasn't done so already.
mjtee

Postby whiskynig » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:43 am

Hi all.
Checking out this thread, I am in agreement that the price of £80 to £100 boxed seems correct. Even the collectors page in whisky mag says much the same, and apparently the boxes themselves go on ebay for a small fortune.
Unboxed, Mctears still only value at around £45 to £50.
Me, I am still determined to drink mine. All of them.
Be careful, though, as our club shop recently got some stock in unexpectedly (did not think these were what we had ordered) and the numbers on the base of the bottles is higher (late twenties) than any of my own stock. Upon sampling, we found there was a subtle difference, the higher number bottling was slightly harsher than my own,.
I guess you can expect that, but as I had decided that mine were my favourite, now I am going to have another check to do if I find any more oddments about. Still eminently drinkable, mind you, but we retail them at slightly over £45, and dont make a massive mark up. My guess is that the price will increase again slowly over the coming months and years, but never reach the heights of the boxed bottles. KEEP THE BOX. :shock:
whiskynig
Bronze Member

Postby cathach » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:37 pm

Whiskynig,

Could you tell me where the serial numbers in question are? I have a few bottles of Rosebank myself and I'd like to be able to tell the batches apart. I think Murray in the whisky bible marked two batches very differently.

P.S. I do think Rosebank deserves the label-spotting obsession that only Ardbeg has gotten so far!
cathach
Silver Member

Postby mjtee » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:06 pm

It has a BLACK cap. There is a serial number on the back of the label:
Does it mean anything

L G06854855
mjtee

Postby whiskynig » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi Cathach,
Sorry for the delay in getting on site again.
You will find the number on the base of the bottle in raised glass.
Anything singles to low teens seem to be the one which did it for me, later numbers are obviously a later batch and so different barrel etc.
Still nice, though.
I have not had a Rosebank as good as this bottling anywhere else.
Cheers,
:insane:
whiskynig
Bronze Member

Postby mjtee » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:57 pm

I went to Edinburgh Whisky heritage centre today , the one at the castle to taste some 12 year old Rosebank.....I think I am converted. It was very nice indeed. I'm going to keep my boxed bottle for some time and buy an of the shelf bottle for myself. Thanks for all help /advice and knowlege.

"Slainge"
mjtee

Postby cathach » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:46 am

whiskynig wrote:Hi Cathach,
Sorry for the delay in getting on site again.
You will find the number on the base of the bottle in raised glass.
Anything singles to low teens seem to be the one which did it for me, later numbers are obviously a later batch and so different barrel etc.
Still nice, though.
I have not had a Rosebank as good as this bottling anywhere else.
Cheers,
:insane:

My numbers are:

L6345CM000
L6335CM000
cathach
Silver Member

Postby WhiskyBill » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:26 pm

OK so I just bought a bottle of Rosebank 18 Year Old Connoisseurs Choice 1991 for $97 and was rated fairly highly (95 points). Are Rosebank values on the rise since this thread was started over 1 1/2 yrs ago? Some speculated they would and some not. I haven't yet opened mine but one would think as inventory diminishes (maybe more quickly with great tasting whiskies) that the value will start to rise more quickly.
thoughts?

ps - sorry if the post is slightly off topic as the thread subject was different.
WhiskyBill

Postby dramtastic » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:37 am

I can buy indie Rosebanks here in Australia for about 60 bucks, so no rise in value just yet. At least not in these parts.
As much as I've enjoyed the Rosebanks I've tried, it would have to be a very rare ultra low volume Single Cask bottling for me to consider it collectable.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Related whiskies : Rosebank 12 Years Old

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder