Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenfarclas 1961.. still good?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glenfarclas 1961.. still good?

Postby SeaCoast » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:09 pm

I know many of you are going to cringe at this post.. some of you will cringe at my ignorance others perhaps will cringe at what i have done to this fine bottle of whisky!! lol.

17 years ago I was living in Dallas and when a very exclusive local liquor store changed hands it also changed the direction of what they would be selling. In the process they sold off most of the prized inventory that the store carried. Since I enjoy special luxuries (most of which I couldn't necessarily afford at the time!!) I purchased a bottle of Glenfarclas 1961. The bottle now sells for about $450 or so but at the time it had retailed for $268 and was clearanced for $130, so i bought it. Over the years i have enjoyed several glasses and i suppose about 1/3 of the bottle has been consumed.

Here is the part that will make some of you cringe... buckle your seatbelts! lol. The only place in my home that I had room for my antique mobile liquor cabinet is RIGHT OVER an unsightly heat register. So, instead of storing them at cool temperatures (which intellectually I know would be best) for 3 months per year the bottles get blasted every half hour or so with heat every time the heat comes (3 months per year X 10 years.. the rest of the year the house is kept at about 70 degrees).

So the impending question is: Am i ruining the quality of this whisky.. or worse yet have i already done so? Does it ever go bad.. or become "less" than it should be??

Thank you in advance for reading and answering!

:::embarrassed for what i might have done to this fine product::: :oops:
Last edited by SeaCoast on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeaCoast

Re: Glenfarclas 1961.. still good?

Postby jazz lover » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:05 pm

SeaCoast your prognosis does not look good
However I've seen stranger things amaze me.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:30 pm

Well the best thing to do is to try it. See how it compares to what you remember. I'm also sure that a couple of us would be more than willing to "judge" the whisky should you wish. :mrgreen:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:00 pm

Ganga wrote:Well the best thing to do is to try it. See how it compares to what you remember. I'm also sure that a couple of us would be more than willing to "judge" the whisky should you wish. :mrgreen:

I couldn't agree more with Ganga. Pull the cork and see.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:02 am

Of course, if you pour a dram and there are sea monkeys or other critters having a swim, I'd pass on the tasting. . .

Otherwise, give it a try.
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder