Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie 17yo Sherryoak?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Balvenie 17yo Sherryoak?

Postby LokiRN » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:49 am

Hello. Thanks to everyone for the info provided on this site! The GF and I are slowly venturing in to SMSW. A friend often brought Glenfiddich 12/15solera/18 to our gatherings and after reading reviews we have tried some others. To date we have tried a small bottle of JW gold, HP12, Macallan 10 fineoak/12 sherry/ a mini of 18(happy to find the mini), and Balvenie DW. Preference has been more for the sherried whiskies. .... I am not sure if the Mac 18 mini is available in both oak and sherry versions. I do not recall seeing label info re Jerez, Spain on the first mini. I purchased another mini 18 after making sure that this one does make the sherry reference.

So, while planning to purchase a Glenlivet Nadura, I came across a single bottle of the Balvenie 17yo Sherryoak. Since we liked the DW I picked it up instead of the Nadura. Two or three other sites gave it positive comments but surprisingly I cannot find any tasting notes on this site. Anyone able to share comments?

I would love to sample various styles but locating SMS minis has been difficult so far. Fifteen yrs ago I had a sample pack with (I think) dalwhinnie/talisker/lagavulin/glenkinchie and one other. Have not seen a pack like that since. Anyone have some suggestions for USA sources?

Thanks for any responses.
LokiRN

Re: Balvenie 17yo Sherryoak?

Postby Wave » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:56 pm

LokiRN wrote:Fifteen yrs ago I had a sample pack with (I think) dalwhinnie/talisker/lagavulin/glenkinchie and one other. Have not seen a pack like that since. Anyone have some suggestions for USA sources?

Thanks for any responses.

Welcome to WMF LokiRN
The fifth was a Cragganmore, part of the "Classic Malts" range from Diageo then. Finding single malt whisky minis in the States has always been a bit of a hit or miss with me. I've got several dozen SMW minis but they've all come from many various shops around the US and abroad. Except for the shops abroad (specially Scotland) no US shop I've found really has the mini market cornered.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby bcrossan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:48 pm

I am no good at tasting notes, but what I can say for the 17 Sherry was that I was disappointed. I enjoyed a good sherried malt (Macallan, Glenrothes, Abundah, etc) but this one did not measure up. I prefer the DW, FR and for the 17 yrs I preferred the New Oak. The New Oak is one of my favs and if you can find it I would grab it

BTW... Mac 18 comes in Fine Oak as well. I think they keep those in the Asian market (I know they are not in US). I bought one in Taiwan duty free and it was not as good as the sherry 18.
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:09 pm

I can't recall if anyone reviewed the 17 Sherryoak as part of the Balvenie Live Tasting. You might find that interesting reading as to people's thoughts as the Balvenie lineup is in the process of turning over. My personal thought was that the 17 Sherryoak was just a little too sweet.

I believe the "Classic Malts" mini set was actually 6 and included the Oban 14. I haven't seen one around in 10 years. It was a very good way to get an idea of the various styles of malts without investing in several full bottles.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby bcrossan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Ganga wrote:I believe the "Classic Malts" mini set was actually 6 and included the Oban 14. I haven't seen one around in 10 years. It was a very good way to get an idea of the various styles of malts without investing in several full bottles.

I see another version around me with 3 bottles. I think it has Talisker, Caol Ila, and maybe Oban in it. They are not the small airplane sample size, but something a little larger
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:59 am

LokiRN,

I like the Balvenie 17 sherry oak. A solid whisky with raisin, slight sulphur and rather sweet yet dry. Though I enjoy the Macallan 18 sherry oak more but it is also about $40 more per bottle here.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:43 am

Yes, I recall with great fondness the Macallan Sherry Oak 18. I had 1984/5/6,
all great...and increasingly expensive. As I recall, the '84 was around £44!!

But it's hard to recall a sherried whisky I've enjoyed more. The much vaunted Glenfarclas 15 is just "ok" by compqrison...and I never found a Balvenie or an aberlour that matched it.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby t-bone » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:34 am

I will have a bottle of the Balvenie 17 SherryOak in about a month - just in time for my birthday!!! I'm no expert when it comes to tasting notes, but I'll do my best.

As a big fan of everything Balvenie (10, 12 & 15) and the Macallan 12 Sherry, I am excited to get my hands on this one.
t-bone

Postby jimidrammer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:10 am

I really like the Balvenie 17yo Sherry Oak, but it took a while over a few weeks to let it evolve. All the 17's have been unique, but I'm still partial to the 15yo SB.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby LokiRN » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:22 pm

Thanks for the replies,

Yes the sample pack did have at least Craggamore and probably Oban- I recall those minis along with a Knockando purchased at the time..

Having only bourbon whiskies prior to that sample pack I recall favorably Dalwhinnie and Oban as lighter/tolerable . Talisker was more strongly flavored--"that one that might be OK if tried a few more times" . Lagavulin- "the nasty one" strong and medicinal. Don't recall anything re Craggamore or Knockando. Now, fifteen yrs later, we'll see how it goes.

Balvenie-- prefered the DW to the 17Sherryoak. The SO had fine body but a definite taste of sulphur and was less smooth and less sweet to my taste. Next Balvenie will probably be the 15yo for us. The Aberlour comments/tastings look good too. I see one of those in the our future.

Where does the sulphur taste come from? The water? Material used to dry the malt?

Any recommendations btw Lasanta vs Nadura vs a'bunadh(#21)? I saw comments re sulphur notes in the some recent Lasanta posts. Relative sweetness btw them compared to the DW?

We will try some Compass Box samples-Peat Monster and Asyla- tonite.
My glenfiddich buddy recommended a store across town with a good scotch selection but I have to cross the Superbowl area to get there so no new purchases till next week. :(

Thanks again.
Regards,
LokiRN

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:35 pm

My personal preference between Lasanta, Nadurra and a'bunadh is for a'bunadh. The exception would be batch 16 for the a'bunadh. All are fine whiskies though and I would think the opinions between these three would be quite varied.

As for the sulphur content in sherried whiskies: viewtopic.php?p=89477
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:27 am

LokiRN,

I too would go with the Abunadh. I have a bottle of batch 21 and I really enjoy it, though I do get a little sulphur but a less than the balvenie 17 sherry oak. batch 21 is a little sweet with some nice spice. The glenlivet nadurra is very good, and I get ginger, oatmeal, and some nice maltiness and would be my second choice. Remember that they are both cask strength whiskies and if you find it a little stong at first you can add a little water (though I find that water doesn't do a lot for the Abunadh).

Sean.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby normal5 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:05 pm

Nice to see another Scotch fan from Tampa area. I'm always on the hunt for a good Scotch at a great price. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Dunedin area but I would definatly recommend going to Leukens Liquors off of Patrica Ave. While the selection isn't the best, the prices can't be beat. If you are looking for something more on the rare side I may be able to help as well. I have made a hobby of exploring every liquor store I fine for deals and rareities. Currently I am drinking the Balvenie DW, Glenmorangie Maderia, Glenrothes SR and 91, and I just picked up a Highland Park 12 for a little change of pace. Anyway always nice to see another Tampa face. Good Drinking and Good Luck
normal5

Postby LokiRN » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Hello Ganga, Sean and Normal5.

Thanks for the suggestions and info re sulphur. Sounds like a'bunadh for a future purchase.
Ganga- found a bottle of the Kirkland(Andrew Murray) Macallan 18 at Costco. A trace less flavor/body than the Mac 18 mini but for half the price we like it.

Normal5. Have been to Leukens in Oldsmar for wine- will ck there for scotch selection.

In Clearwater on Old Coachman, 1 block west of US19 is Sunset Liquors. Stopped there on a whim yesterday while passing by from the bookstore. Amazing selection(to me). The only place I really looked was in Tarpon Springs at B-21. Prices at Sunset seemed similar from what I remember.

Sunsets selection includes lots of nice bourbons like Pappy van Winkle and such. Irish whiskys mentioned in the forum--Redbreast 12yo, Michael Collins, Jameson and several others. A Welsh--Penderyn. Scotch whiskys include Macallan 10/17/30 fine oak, 12/18/25 sherry, several by Aberfedy, only one Aberlour(a'bunadh). Many names I do not recall. Guestimate around seventy(edited) different bottles of scotch. Next trip to Costco I will stop at Sunset and list a few more here for people looking in the Tampa- St Pete area.

Regards
LokiRN

Postby normal5 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:03 am

I will definately check out Sunset. I do frequent the B-21 and they have a really nice selection with some Independent bottlings, prices are pretty good but if you head north on 19 you will see Universal Liquors and if you are lucky they have a bottle of Glenrothes 85 for $70. Anyway I will update you on Any finds and let me know if you are looking for anything. I'm currently looking for a Knockando.
normal5

Postby LokiRN » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:39 am

Normal5, I stopped at Total Wines and Spirits (Tampa--Dale Mabry@275). Again about 80 single malts- similar to Sunset Liquors but without some of the older bottlings. Did not see Knockando.

They did have a sampler set of Glenmorangie($50)-- Four 100ml bottles. One each of 10yr/Lasanta/Quinta Ruban/Nectar D'Or-- if you are interested.
LokiRN

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder