Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Best whisky bang for your buck

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Best bang for your buck whisky

Aberlour 10
26%
Baillie Nicol Jarvie
3%
Bushmills 10
1%
Glenmorangie The Original
19%
Glenfiddich 12
7%
Glenlivet 12
14%
Glen Moray
3%
JW Black
13%
Chivas 12
1%
Jameson 12
12%
Tamdu SMW (no age statement)
2%

Total votes : 109

Re: Best whisky bang for your buck

Postby Liechtenstein » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:29 pm

For around US$32, Red Breast 12.

Good value for the price.
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby desouza » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:27 pm

I thought Glen Moray is a fantastic bargain for its "ease of drinking", taste and overall enjoyment! :D
As we say out here " It's a damn good sippin' whisky that won't break the bank!"
desouza

Postby OBG » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:02 am

Correction to an earlier reply,

Not the most complex of drinks, but bought last night at the local Co-op for £12.99 for 70cl..

****Should be 1 Litre***** Even better value!
OBG

Postby bbrownri » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:37 pm

I have to admit there are a number of whiskies on here I haven't tried, but I think JW Black is a pretty good all-rounder blend and the price isn't bad.
bbrownri

Postby Pure Pot Head » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:30 pm

$32? What the hell? That's only about €20 :o TWENTY EURO!

I would pay about twoce that here in Ireland. I heard that Canadian retail operates on low margins but that's a steal. I think you're living in the right country. How much is a house?
:lol: :lol:

Pure Pot Head
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby Drammed » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:03 pm

Pure Pot Head wrote:

$32? What the hell? That's only about €20 :o TWENTY EURO!

I would pay about twoce that here in Ireland. I heard that Canadian retail operates on low margins but that's a steal. I think you're living in the right country. How much is a house?
:lol: :lol:

Pure Pot Head

That must be an East coast thing. out here Red Breast 12 is ~50 usd or $55 cad. the average house in Vancouver is $941,000 last summer so maybe $800,000 right now
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Pure Pot Head » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:21 pm

That must be an East coast thing. out here Red Breast 12 is ~50 usd or $55 cad. the average house in Vancouver is $941,000 last summer so maybe $800,000 right now

Maybe if we're going to quote prices from all over the world we need some common index. So that the selected bottles are expressed in terms of Big Mac's.

As for my choice, based on prices here, as much as I worship at the alter of Redbreast, it does cost almost two bottles of Powers which has a fairly robust Pot Still punch to it. I'm not so sure. But I think the Powers wins on bang for buck!

PPH
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby AdamMY » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:31 pm

We we could try and think of the lowest common priced Whisky or Other Hard spirit.

As in the bottle costs 4 Scoresby, or 4 Grants, or 6 Heaven hill's.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby 37degrees » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:06 pm

If you're not a peat fanatic, it's either something like Famous Grouse or an irishman.

If we use The Whisky Exchange as an index, FG is only 14 £.

Redbreast is 27½, but I haven't had it yet.

Greenspot is like a concentrated Powers, good stuff but it's 34 £.

Powers is nice and only 21 £.

Or it could be the sweet Jameson 12 for 25½ £.

Well, until I taste Redbreast, I'll probably stick with Powers or FG.
37degrees

Postby Pure Pot Head » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:49 pm

If you're not a peat fanatic, it's either something like Famous Grouse or an irishman.

If we use The Whisky Exchange as an index, FG is only 14 £.

Redbreast is 27½, but I haven't had it yet.

Greenspot is like a concentrated Powers, good stuff but it's 34 £.

Powers is nice and only 21 £.

Or it could be the sweet Jameson 12 for 25½ £.

Well, until I taste Redbreast, I'll probably stick with Powers or FG.

Hi 37 Degrees,

I wonder how the prices of Redbreast and Greenspot end up like that. Both are Pure Pot Stills of course made by Jameson but while the Redbreast is aged to at least 12years, the Green Spot is a NAS Pure Pot Still. Now, I'm not a fascist about age statments and there are many more factors to consider but in this case, I would think it's fair to describe Green Spot as the unaged Redbreast and not quite as smooth. Which to me means that the Green Spot isn't delivering bang for buck. It should be cheaper than Redbreast.

Pure Pot Head
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby Whisky1978 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:57 pm

I vote for the glenmorangie.
I also agree with the HP 12.

Balvenie DW and Ardbeg 10 are also good value for your money.
Whisky1978
Bronze Member

Postby Alan Gold Label » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:55 am

Hi, I'm new... second post in.

Best bang for your buck has got to be Redbreast 12yr for €35 from O'Briens Wines offie. Everywhere else charges €45 and they can feck off! Anyway, that'd be the absolute top shelf best bang.

For a best bang everyday drop it's gotta be either Black Bush or Powers. I just got a bottle of the Gold Label for €20 for Dunnes on special and it's a damn bloody fantastic whiskey. The 12yr of it is brilliant but if there's an €18 difference then no, not worth it imo. A trip to Newry is required for the 12yr imo where you can get it for about €11 cheaper than the (republic) Irish price of €37.xx.

It's a shame the Jameson brand is so expensive because if the Crested Ten was a bit cheaper then that'd get a mention for me but at an average of €29-€30 a bottle it's not that much bang - Ireland gets ripped off with buying whiskey/alcohol. (It's £16 in Dunnes Stores offie in Newry - now that's a bloody good bang for yr buck!)

Tyrconnell Single Malt is/was (as of last weekend) 2 for £30 in Glasgow Airport. Compared to the (at least) €30 it is for that bottle here (in the 26 county version of Ireland) that's a bloody damn good saving considering the conversion rate!

Unfortunately in Ireland about no Scottish whiskies are ever fairly priced and we're getting raped with tax but my girlfriend got me a Glenmorangie Original and Glenfiddich 15yr for about £48 from Morrisons recently (that's for the two 700ml bottles of course). Both of those are a very very good deal I think.

So long story short :
Scotland : Glenmorangie on special
Ireland : Redbreast 12yr in O'briens; Powers either on special or everyday.
Alan Gold Label

Postby Alan Gold Label » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:10 am

Oh, and I voted for Glenmorangie.

Aberlour and Glenlivet are in the lead but I've not tasted them. Redbreast 12yr @ €35 in O'Briens should really be in the list though.

I'm not impressed by the Bushmills 10yr Single Malt. If it was in the same price bracket as maybe the "norma/standard" Irish blends or the Black Bush then maybe but it's usually that extra few quid more expensive and then you're into the Redbreast/Jameson 12/Powers 12 range and it just doesn't hold a candle to them drinks.
Alan Gold Label

Postby SixCats! » Sat May 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi all,

I voted for TAMDHU 10 which (if memory serves) is a single malt Scotch. Here in Maine, it is on sale this month for only $22.00 a 750ml.
I find this a lovely (lighter) tasting Scotch with very nice flavor. Considering it's price, a real bargain. I plan to buy several more bottles of this very "under the radar" Scotch.
I also have to mention that if I'm really strapped for cash, I will plan on buying either Bushmills Original or Powers Irish Whiskey which is even less expensive than the Tamdhu 10 in the State of NH.
Black Bush, Tullamore Dew 12 and Jameson 12 range in price from $31.00 to $34.00 in NH. Jameson 12 is TEN dollars less expensive per bottle in NH than Maine. I just went a little crazy today and purchased the Jameson 12 and ARDBEG 10 ($42.00) in NH. Time to stock up now for Maine's loooong Winter! I believe it's called "prior planning".

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!

Postby franklin78 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:27 pm

if you want to take a real taste of whisky then you can buy jack daniels, if you cost more for it then I don't mind about it but it's up to you I guess.
franklin78

Postby Ganga » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:35 pm

SixCats! wrote:Hi all,

I voted for TAMDHU 10 which (if memory serves) is a single malt Scotch. Here in Maine, it is on sale this month for only $22.00 a 750ml.
I find this a lovely (lighter) tasting Scotch with very nice flavor. Considering it's price, a real bargain. I plan to buy several more bottles of this very "under the radar" Scotch.
I also have to mention that if I'm really strapped for cash, I will plan on buying either Bushmills Original or Powers Irish Whiskey which is even less expensive than the Tamdhu 10 in the State of NH.
Black Bush, Tullamore Dew 12 and Jameson 12 range in price from $31.00 to $34.00 in NH. Jameson 12 is TEN dollars less expensive per bottle in NH than Maine. I just went a little crazy today and purchased the Jameson 12 and ARDBEG 10 ($42.00) in NH. Time to stock up now for Maine's loooong Winter! I believe it's called "prior planning".

Regards,
SixCats!

Get it while you can. They have released a new version that is 2 to 3 times the price.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:40 am

Had to go with the Jameson 12yo here, although this isn't saying that Jameson is fundamentally better in some way. They just have the luxury of pawning off their worst NAS stock on shot-guzzling twenty-somethings in LA, Vegas, Miami and New York and leaving the good casks for their premium blends. Jameson 12yo always tastes good and always tastes the same because it doesn't do the volume of Macallan, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Highland Park, Laphroaig, Lagavulin or Ardbeg.

Even Crown Royal makes a phenomenal ultra premium blend because their old stock has nowhere else to go. The ability to be selective has a huge impact on quality.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:23 am

Speyburn 10...at least when I get it for $14.... :D
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:32 am

Ganga wrote:Speyburn 10...at least when I get it for $14.... :D

You are in a very happy place, aren't you? Are there dancing pink elephants there as well as soft cotton candy clouds?

musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:47 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:
Ganga wrote:Speyburn 10...at least when I get it for $14.... :D

You are in a very happy place, aren't you? Are there dancing pink elephants there as well as soft cotton candy clouds?

musky

No beer here.... :mrgreen: at least not the Tremens. :smoke:
Ganga
Matured cask

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder