Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig 25yo?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Laphroaig 25 Years Old

Laphroaig 25yo?

Postby MacLlyr » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:51 am

I was wondering if anyone knows what year Laphroaig 25yo was produced? I understand from other threads that it is going to be a regular release. That being said is there a year bottled date on the label? As well if you have had it what do you thank about it? Is it better than the 30yo?
MacLlyr

Re: Laphroaig 25yo?

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:23 pm

Don't know about the year but i have had the 25yo at one of Eddies Whisky Lounge Tastings and i found it better than what i remembered the 30yo to be . Only problem is it would have been so much better at a higher ABV and NCF !
Notes from the tasting......
First up the Laphroaig 25yo ( 40% CF.....why ? ) I approached this with some trepidation as i was never impressed with the old 30yo , quite a reasonable nose touch sherry , iodine , smoke and damp peat (all not abundant but there....) . On the palate sweet , peat smoke , liquorice . Not a bad finish , sweet , longish but a touch woody . Definitely better than the 30yo ! My Score 7/10 - Group Score 7 1/2 out of 10
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby MacLlyr » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:02 am

Thanks for your reply.
I found tasting notes of a Laphroaig 25yo in Whisky Mag issue 67 which was from January of 07. It sounds like the same one I found on The Whisky Exchange. Since the notes were from early 07 I suppose it is possible that the whisky was bottled in 06. This interests me as I am looking for some 06 bottles of Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg. The problem I had with the review is that it left me not really wanting to spend the money on it at all. It was given 6 ½ and 6 which is higher than the 3's that the 30yo got but still...not very promising. What is it with the older Laphroaigs always leaving something to be desired? I suppose I will just shell out the extra bucks for the laga 30 as I have herd very good things about it.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Laphroaig 30yo, but you can still get it on eBay for $250 for a reason. I was really hoping for more from the 25. If there is anyone out there who has had the 25 and really enjoyed it please tell me where Dave Broom and Martine Nouet are wrong.
MacLlyr

Postby Jobi » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:58 am

MacLlyr wrote: which is higher than the 3’s that the 30yo got but still…not very promising

Note that there is an old thread which discusses this. I think that particular issue was rating whiskies on a different scale. It might have been that they were rating the level of peatiness on a scale of 0-5, or something like that.
Jobi
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Laphroaig 25 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder