Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardmore vs. Teachers

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Ardmore

Ardmore vs. Teachers

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:30 pm

As you know, ardmore is the single malt that is the primary ingredient in the blend of Teachers.

There are a few bottles of 1991 Ardmore at my liquor store and i am intrigued to try it and note the similarities and differences from Teachers.

Please post your thoughts as to the differences and similarities between the two.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Re: Ardmore vs. Teachers

Postby kallaskander » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi there,

to be frank I can not answer your question. And to be even more frank I doubt that it is a meaningful question.

How much Ardmore will there be in a blended whisky?

You have a proportion of 40% malts of which Ardmore is just one even though it is the leading malt and 60% grain whiskies, 2 or 3 different ones at least.

I doubt you will find any paralles if you compare any Ardmore bottling to the Teachers blend. Even if the Ardmore is the whisky which builds the body of the Teachers.

But you never know.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:47 pm

I agree with Kallaskander. There may be many malts in the blend. I recall a conversation with a now retired blender who said that he had as many as 55 malts in his famous, (not Teacher's) blend.

You may pick out similarities, but maybe not. Personally, I would forget the Teacher's and just buy the Ardmore, but that's just me.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby borgom » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:18 pm

I have a bottle of The Single Malts of Scotland Very Heavily Peated Ardmore 12yo CS and a bottle of Teacher's open at the moment and have just finished a bottle of Ardmore Traditional Cask.
The Ardmore taste in Teacher's is dominant to the point where the other malt and grain whiskies only serve to lift and lighten the Ardmore profile. I have tasted no other blend where one single malts flavour is so dominant.
I was very surprised to find so much of the Ardmore character comprising this blend. If you purchase the 1991 Ardmore i'd love to know if you have the same experience.
In any case it's fair to say that if you like Teacher's you will at the very least appreciate Ardmore.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi there,

yes, provided the Ardmore is the only peated malt in the Teachers blend.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:11 am

borgom wrote:I have a bottle of The Single Malts of Scotland Very Heavily Peated Ardmore 12yo CS and a bottle of Teacher's open at the moment and have just finished a bottle of Ardmore Traditional Cask.
The Ardmore taste in Teacher's is dominant to the point where the other malt and grain whiskies only serve to lift and lighten the Ardmore profile. I have tasted no other blend where one single malts flavour is so dominant.
I was very surprised to find so much of the Ardmore character comprising this blend. If you purchase the 1991 Ardmore i'd love to know if you have the same experience.
In any case it's fair to say that if you like Teacher's you will at the very least appreciate Ardmore.

Borgom, thank you for your post. You confirm what I had suspected. I had read a number of tasting notes for Ardmore and the looked very similar to a tasting note for Teachers.

I will try the Ardmore. I am a big Teachers fan, and have never had a sms that had a similar flavour profile. Accordignly, my query about Ardmore. Thanks again. :thumbsup:
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:14 am

kallaskander wrote:Hi there,

to be frank I can not answer your question. And to be even more frank I doubt that it is a meaningful question.

How much Ardmore will there be in a blended whisky?

You have a proportion of 40% malts of which Ardmore is just one even though it is the leading malt and 60% grain whiskies, 2 or 3 different ones at least.
kallaskander

I understand that the addition of grain whiskeys does not add flavour, but rather softens or rounds out.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:22 am

Yes I totally agree, there is a huge influence of Ardmore Traditional Cask in Teachers blend. Teacher's still remains my favorite cheap blend!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:06 pm

No probs NSF, I really hope you enjoy the Ardmore :)
borgom
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ardmore

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder