Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Uigeadail Box

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg Uigeadail

Ardbeg Uigeadail Box

Postby Rob B » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:45 pm

I have just received a 2008 bottle of Uigeadail and it is in the same style box as the 10 and ANB. I am confused as both the TWE site and and Ardbeg's own shop show images of a much nicer looking box with what looks like a separate top and a seal.

What is going on?

Rob
Rob B
Bronze Member

Re: Ardbeg Uigeadail Box

Postby mr_fox » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:20 pm

I asked the same question a while ago. Someone said they used to come in those nice flip-top boxes but changed to the boring style more recently. Someone else can probably tell you exactly when... (Lohs?)
mr_fox

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:04 am

Hi Rob / mr_fox ,
The first batch definitely had the Posh box (2003) , the 2nd batch , if i remember rightly , didn't have a box at all , and had a bottling date on i think and was only released at the distillery due to the 1st release selling out fast . Can't remember if the 3rd batch had the posh box or the standard one but i seem to remember cost being one of the reasons for the change of style .
Anyone else know for sure ?
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby John McGill » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:39 am

My bottles are as follows:

L3 (2003) - Flip top box
L4 (2004) - Flip top box
L6 (2006) - Standard box (i.e. the same as the ten etc).
John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby lohssanami » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:39 am

Hey...now here is a question down my alley.

I can confirm John McGill's portion with a few additions.

L3 (2003) - Flip top box - white inside
L4 (2004) - Flip top box - black inside
L5 (2005) - Flip top box - black inside
L5 (2005) - Normal box
L6 (2006) - Normal box
L7 (2007) - Normal box
L8 (2008) - Normal box

I believe the box was changed sometime between Day 110 and Day 237 in 2005, give or take some extra stock that may have eluded use after the change. In the US, we have the importer on the box, and Brown-Forman imported through 2005, with Moet-Hennessy taking over in 2006. I have a couple of L5 110's with the flip top box Brown-Forman, and I have an L5 237 with Normal box Brown-Forman. 2006 and later are all Normal box Moet-Hennessy.

I've also not confirmed when the inside white lining changed to inside black lining on the flip tops, but it seems to be right around the end of 2003 and beginning of 2004.

I have seen an L6 on auction with a flip top box, but I can't confirm that is the actual box that was sold with the bottle. I once received an L3 Ardbeg 10 with a 2006-2007 box, of course not intentionally done to mislead me, but I noticed it anyways.

I'd also take Gordon's recollection of some being sent out without boxes as accurate since his information/memory regarding Ardbeg has been stellar.

It's really tough to pinpoint the exact date of changes on/with boxes, but rough estimates seem to be consistent with the above years.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:45 am

I forgot to add...be wary of some pictures that identify bottles for sale (and the accessories) as I found many internet sites simply can't update every picture.

I discovered this when looking for flip top box Uigeadail's from some US online retailers, and asking over the phone whether the box they had in stock looked like the one on the website.

At least the bottle still has whisky in it, regardless of box type.

:P
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Rob B » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me Lohssanami. It is a pity that the distiller appears unable to keep their own website current, and I guess that many retailers copy their image from the Ardbeg site.

Its true that the bottle still has whisky in it, but I was looking forward to my very first Uigeadail and I was disappointed to find that it is not in the box as depicted on the websites. I think that enjoying and admiring the packaging is all part and parcel of the overall whisky experience; for me this is a thrill that has yet to fade (though in the short term it has been tarnished a tad :cry: ).

Rob
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby Klas » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Fantastic Lohssanami!
When it comes to Ardbeg bottlings, you always seem to be on top of things.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Klas
Silver Member

Postby lohssanami » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:34 pm

Klas wrote:Fantastic Lohssanami!
When it comes to Ardbeg bottlings, you always seem to be on top of things.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hehe...I've been able to draw from alot of resources. Gordon, Geert and some other guys from PLOWED have given alot of insight. I have spent a good amount of time searching through pictures and auction listings too.

To Rob B., I can understand your disappointment, but that will be fixed when you come across an older bottle of Uigeadail with the flip top box. I don't know if you can find them in retail shops in the UK, but I would look around in the smaller cities. You can always check auction sites as the bottles distributed after they removed the year reference on the back label and "Traditional Strength" to "Non-Chill Filtered" on the front label (~October 2004) are more affordable.

:thumbsup:
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm guessing the one I am waiting to have delivered will be the new style and not the 'flip top' one then
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Most likely!!!

However, you might get lucky if they had one sitting on their shelves for a while.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Rob B » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:32 pm

I hold little hope of finding any here in Northern Ireland; its not exactly a mecca for whisky shops. Nevertheless, I shall be resolute 8)

Rob
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:34 pm

Wow...lohssanami, I nominate you for anorak of the week! :thumbsup:

Rob B wrote:I think that enjoying and admiring the packaging is all part and parcel of the overall whisky experience....

Ouch!
Deactivated Member

Postby Rob B » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:57 pm

Er,

it was me that said that :oops:

Ain't a newbie allowed a bit of naivety :roll:

Rob

PS XXL needed :wink:
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby lohssanami » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:06 am

No worries Rob! I think that enjoying the whisky is a given, and if you get enjoyment out of the packaging, then you are just getting more for your money than the average whisky drinker.

As for the anorak thing...I think he was referencing my post on when the boxes were available. Good stuff Mr.T!!!
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:56 am

I've seen an L5 137 (UK) with the flip top box so we've just cut 27 days off the changeover to normal box.

Again...here are the approximations.

L5 137 and earlier is the Flip Top Box.

L5 237 and later is the current Normal Box.

Any Uigeadail bottle codes with confirmed boxes (meaning you most likely bought it yourself from retail) that may narrow down this gap are welcome here.

:iwbrnt:
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg Uigeadail

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder