Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

1915 George Dickel Sour Mash Whiskey

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

1915 George Dickel Sour Mash Whiskey

Postby iheijoushin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:11 pm

While digging around in the family cellar I came across a very old bottle of Whiskey. The label naturally fell right off, which of course I brought upstairs to take photos of.

I don't know the first thing about Whiskey. I'm more of a craft beer kind of guy. It's a general policy against hard liquor, so absolutely nothing personal! :lol:

I'll take photos of the bottle this evening. The cork is intact although it looks like some of the whiskey may have evaporated and was later wax sealed.

Any idea how one can get something like this appraised and sold legally? I live in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the United States.

Thanks for your help!
iheijoushin

Re: 1915 George Dickel Sour Mash Whiskey

Postby UUNetBill » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:00 pm

A quick check on Google tells me that Dickel was forced to relocate the Cascade distillery somewhere around 1910-1911 due to Tennessee prohibition being enacted prior to US prohibition in 1919. So it's a fair bet that your bottle predates this move.

As to value or collectability, you may want to check out some of the bourbon boards - they might be better able to give you a valuation on that.

Me, I'd probably drink it. :thumbsup:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder