Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Live Toronto 2009 (23 Oct)

The official Whisky Live forum - The world's premier whisky tasting show.
www.whiskylive.com

Whisky Live Toronto 2009 (23 Oct)

Postby Matt2 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:56 pm

Whisky Live Toronto 2009

Where
Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

When
Friday October 23 2009

The world's greatest celebration of the whiskies of the world
Whisky Live Toronto, now in its fourth year, is Canada's whisky tasting event of the year, bringing the celebration of whisky to Toronto.

Held this year in two halls, Halls G & H of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Whisky Live Toronto brings all the very best whiskies from around the world under one roof. Appealing to both the enthusiast and the novice Whisky Live Toronto has expert advice on hand as well as the opportunity to learn about the whisky basics. It is the ultimate whisky experience with such a stunning range of whiskies, delicious food, Masterclasses, live music and regular nose-off competitions. And with more room for more whiskies and more food, this should be the best whisky event ever.

Visit the Whisky Live Toronto 2009 website for more information and to book your tickets.
Matt2

Re: Whisky Live Toronto 2009 (23 Oct)

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:39 am

Get thee behind me, you tempter.

Yeah I already received my email for this years' WL Toronto. I really enjoyed myself, meeting up with Wendy and Frodo the day after trying the HP 40 yo was indeed the topping on the cake. We wasted away a delightful Toronto Autumn day eating, drinking and nattering away in a lovely little pub just up from Summerhill LCBO.

Whisky Live T.O. was a terrific time and I'd love to return again especially now that they've made improved adjustments for the food aspect of WL. I doubt that I'll make it there this year but one never knows...

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby ialdous » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:54 pm

This event sounds like a fantastic time and I am considering going. I am wondering when the line up of this year's vendors will be announced. Also, is one able to purchase bottles at these events?
ialdous

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:24 am

Ialdous:
It should be a very good event as they've increased the size of the venue. i would STRONGLY recommend you get the full package VIP ticket for $95.00 now AND sign up for the Masterclasses as soon as they are announced.

I went to the Macallan and HP Masterclasses and was delighted with the information and presentations given.

The LCBO will have a store open at the venue where you can purchase bottles available in their stores, - I saw a $2000.00 bottle of 40 yo HP get snapped up in a moment after the buyer sampled a bit from my buddies' glass. What you sample at the venue may not be available at the LCBO. The exhibitors' line up will probably be announced in the summer if it is run anything like last years' was. I'd like to go ... but ... really want to go to Victoria's Whisky Festival in January.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ian Logan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:04 pm

Musky,

Come down from the cold north for a dram or two. I'm down to come over for the event. Part of the visit is all about a product launch so I expect to be on Masterclass duty somewhere along the line.

Ian Logan
The Glenlivet
Ian Logan
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:49 pm

Ian:
If I do decide to come, I'll be bringing a couple of my "posse" with me. They were pretty upset about the great time that the retired LC manager and I had whilst at the last WL.

I wish the venue was over a couple of days so we could make a real weekend of it. If my better half acquiesces to my attendance I'll have to save up some sheckles so I can do the pre and post WL up proper. Last year I ended up spending most of the next day with Frodo and Wendy in a pub just up the street from Summerhill.

Now correct me if I'm wrong... but didn't I run into you at the last WL T.O. as well? Or was it your evil twin? I was the large friendly bespectacled fellow with the (almost as tall) redheaded LC manager that dropped by the booth a couple of times. I think Wendy was with us at the time.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby williejohn » Mon May 25, 2009 9:50 pm

I was at last years whisky Live Toronto. Does anyone know the exhibitors this year. The best booth was the blind tasting competition by Via Allegro restaurant. Are they back again? I also enjoyed Richard Patterson.
williejohn

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:17 am

Musky, bring the posse...I'm thinking of making the trip up again this year!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby ialdous » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi All:
I am very excited about attending Whisky live in Toronto this year. I have never been to Whisky live before and it sounds like a lot of fun. I have my tickets already and am awaiting the release of the Masterclass tickets on Sep 1. I am disappointed that the Laphroaig and Highland Park masterclasses are at the same time, preventing one from attending both. I contacted the organizers, but apparently this can't be changed.
Anyway, looking forward to seeing you all there!

Ian
ialdous

Postby MGillespie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:21 am

MGillespie wrote:Musky, bring the posse...I'm thinking of making the trip up again this year!

Mark

Musky, bring the posse anyway...but I won't be able to attend this year...will be in Bardstown for Parker Beam's 50th anniversary celebration at Heaven Hill...sorry!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby DaBeef2112 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:27 pm

It's September 1st and I can't seem to sign up for the master classes yet? Am I missing something?
DaBeef2112

Postby ialdous » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:31 pm

I too have been unable to buy Masterclass tickets. The site clearly states that they will be on sale as of Sept 1st. I have emailed the promoter, Dave Sweet (dave.sweet @kaspublications.com) to ask what is going on but as of yet I have received no reply. I suggest those interested should do the same. Maybe they are still trying to figure out a schedule change that would allow us to attend Laphroaig and Highland Park (currently scheduled for the same time - Arrgh!). One can only hope.

Ian
ialdous

Postby DaBeef2112 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:10 pm

I too sent Dave Sweet an email, both yesterday and today. I also sent an email this morning to office@paragraphpublishing.com. So far, no replies to either.
DaBeef2112

Postby DaBeef2112 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:29 pm

Dave Sweet replied last night. Apparently they will update the site later today or early tomorrow.
DaBeef2112

Postby ialdous » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:31 pm

Hi Everyone:
I too received an email back from Dave Sweet:

Ian,

We hope to have the information up for the masterclasses on Friday! We have been working on a minor technical issue with the electronic ticketing system.

All the best

Dave
ialdous

Postby ialdous » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:02 pm

The Whisky Live site now says that Masterclass tickets go on sale Sept 5th (changed from Sept 1st). Although I notice that they haven't corrected the date everywhere. The right-hand block, under the subtitle 'Extras' it still refers to Sept 1st as the On sale date. Let's hope the event itself is better run than the website.
ialdous

Postby DaBeef2112 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:09 pm

I thought you might like to know that some of the Master Classes are now up. I just completed my purchases right now! Despite the fact the site now list September 5th for the Master Class ticket date! (I don't think the Laphroig MC is listed yet)

Like you said, I hope they run the show better than the web site!
DaBeef2112

Postby ialdous » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info. I just bought tickets for Tullibardine and Maker's Mark. i wanted to get Laphroaig tickets but that doesn't appear to be and option yet. I put an email into Dave Sweet to see if Laphroaig is still on the schedule or not.

Ian
ialdous

Postby ialdous » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:31 pm

I guess Laphroaig is out as far as Masterclasses go. The website currently lists an entirely different Masterclass in the spot which once advertised Laphroaig:

MC1 - For Peat's Sake!
Room 1 - 4.30pm - 5.30pm
The influence of peat on the whiskies of the Highlands and Islands of
Scotland. A journey through the taste profiles of Laphroaig, Teachers
and Ardmore.

This does sound interesting but I was hoping to get a Laphroaig representative and possibly try their new 18 yr old expression.
ialdous

Postby MGillespie » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:02 pm

Keep in mind that all three are sister brands, and the likely instructor will be a brand ambassador that represents all three. As for a taste of the 18, it'll likely depend on when that's available in Ontario...I'm not sure whether it is yet...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Jetfire » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:37 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Ialdous:
The LCBO will have a store open at the venue where you can purchase bottles available in their stores, - I saw a $2000.00 bottle of 40 yo HP get snapped up in a moment after the buyer sampled a bit from my buddies' glass. What you sample at the venue may not be available at the LCBO.

Are the exhibitors able to sell bottles at their own booths/areas, or will the bottles available be strictly what is normally allowed by the LCBO?
Jetfire

Postby MGillespie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:54 am

Exhibitors cannot sell anything. Only the LCBO on-site store can sell anything at the event, and I've never seen anything other than regular store prices...don't expect any specials!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Jetfire » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:28 am

:cry: I was expecting that reply, but it's still disappointing to hear. I suppose I can hope that at the very least the LCBO will have a large selection of their whisky inventory. A lot of local stores' selection varies depending on location and general customers' preferences.
Jetfire

Postby Rob Allanson » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:15 pm

Whisky Live Toronto 2009 came to pass on Friday 23rd in the MTCC. With a
huge turnout of both Whiskies and visitors of approximately 1600, the
show was a huge success. With twice the amount of space, great
entertainment and the Iron Bartender, Whisky Live Toronto this year was
the best yet.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Return to Whisky Live

Whisky gift and present finder