Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Connemara Cask strength vs single cask

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Connemara Cask Strength

Connemara Cask strength vs single cask

Postby r900p » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:17 pm

I got to try the Connemara cask strength as one of Eddies tastings i loved it and ended up buying one. I've just come across the Connemara single cask 1992 46%.

Has anyone tried the later and how much difference there is between cask strenght and 46%. Is the single cask worth a few quid more.

Any other similarly priced Irish i should also consider.

Cheers.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Re: Connemara Cask strength vs single cask

Postby michael Foggarty » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:40 pm

There are several single casks of Connemara from 92 some 12y, 13 y 14y and 15y old.
There is also a 12 year old and a new Sherry finish(13y) currently available. They are slight more expensive than the cask strength.
michael Foggarty

Postby r900p » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:49 pm

r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:21 pm

I've had a few now and there seems to be only minor differences between the Single casks I've had. It really depends what you want from the Connemara? The cask strength always seems to have more peat in it to me where as the Single casks are surprisingly more refined. Probably has something to do with the ABV difference but both are far superior than the NAS and better value than the 12yo IMO of course.

I am really looking forward to opening the Connemara Sherry Single Cask very soon 8)
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby cathach » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:57 pm

I got a Connemara 14.5yo single cask in Germany and it was absolutely superb. Really subtly layered peat and honeyed fruit. If you have the grade get it would be my advice, in my experience
I enjoyed it more than Airigh Nam Beist for instance.
cathach
Silver Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:06 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote: the Single casks are surprisingly more refined. Probably has something to do with the ABV difference but both are far superior than the NAS and better value than the 12yo IMO of course

Of course he'll be picking out the good casks for those bottlings. The single cask I had was excellent.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby 37degrees » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:49 pm

I opened a 1992-2008 the other day. It is indeed more refined and not as peaty as the standard version 40% abv. I haven't had the cask strength yet, but i would guess the single cask is a better buck for the bang (or what you englishtongued call it) than the other non-standard versions.
37degrees

Postby 37degrees » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Well, I'll post it here since there's no reason to have two old Connemara threads bumbing up:

Earlier I expressed negative thoughts on the standard version, but I'm really enjoying one right now. Someone once said that our taste changes from time to time and situation. I think that's very true.
37degrees

Related whiskies : Connemara Cask Strength

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder