Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Washington’s Rye returns

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team

Washington’s Rye returns

Postby Rob Allanson » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:33 pm

Authentic distilling has begun at George Washington’s Distillery for a two-week period. The aim during this is to generate 100 gallons of whiskey using Washington’s recipe.
Half of the supply will be bottled and sold at Mount Vernon starting this summer as George Washington’s Rye Spirit. This product will be un-aged, just like Washington’s version of whiskey. Pints will be sold for a price still to be determined but most likely just under $100. The remaining half will be aged in oak barrels for future sale as whiskey, also in pints at a price to be determined.
Master distiller Dave Pickerell, formerly of Maker’s Mark, will lead the team of Mount Vernon employees – historians, historic trades interpreters, archaeologists, and educators – who will work to make Washington’s recipe at the reconstructed distillery.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Re: Washington’s Rye returns

Postby les taylor » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks Rob, sounds interesting. Shame it's not at the same price as in Washington's day.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Washington’s Rye returns

Postby rtp3 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:40 am

Maybe I can get a hold of one of these when I am visiting home this summer ... going to be not far from Mount Vernon (maybe).

Need to put this on my list ... also, wonder if you can mail order it to an address in the same state.

Cheers!
rtp3

Return to Whisky News

Whisky gift and present finder