Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Crown Royal Cask 16

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Crown Royal

Crown Royal Cask 16

Postby t-bone » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:02 am

Having my first taste of this premium Canadian blend.

Nose
Its definitely Crown Royal at the core, but with nice winey/brandy notes coming through.

Palate
Rich and sweet with fruit, raisin and spice - delicious

Finish
The cognac finish is fantastic - long and drying

This is definitely one of the best Canadian whiskies I've tasted - much better than the Gibson's Rare 18 yo and right up there with the Forty Creek Barrel Select. A MUST try for any Crown Royal fan.
t-bone

Re: Crown Royal Cask 16

Postby Megawatt » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:12 pm

Thanks for the review. I'd love to try this stuff.

I'm still a bit surprised that everyone seems to regard Forty Creek Barrel Select as the highest a Canadian whisky can aspire to. I like it but there are perhaps a dozen I would rather drink. The sherry flavour throws it off balance, I find. Good but slightly overrated, in my opinion.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:51 pm

I happen to like the Crown Royal Cask No.16 a lot as well, t-bone.
My tasting notes are, essentially, quite similar to your own...

Colour: Full gold tending to amber.
Nose: Tropical fruit salad. Dry roasted nuts. A hint of vanilla.
Palate: Crisp, clean attack leading to succulence. Honey dribbled on whole wheat toast. Pears. The spicy oak influence effortlessly intertwines with the bittersweet nature of the spirit, creating tiny ripples of rapier-like intensity that spread across the glossy textural surface.
Finish: Long and calm.

Certainly a very stylish and pleasurable whisky!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby t-bone » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Megawatt wrote:Thanks for the review. I'd love to try this stuff.

I'm still a bit surprised that everyone seems to regard Forty Creek Barrel Select as the highest a Canadian whisky can aspire to. I like it but there are perhaps a dozen I would rather drink. The sherry flavour throws it off balance, I find. Good but slightly overrated, in my opinion.

I happen to like the sherry influence in the Forty Creek but I'm partial to sherried whiskies in general. To me it goes really well with the rich, almost chocolaty flavour.
t-bone

Postby RogerB » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Megawatt wrote:Thanks for the review. I'd love to try this stuff.

I know I like the CR Special Reserve and the Forty Creek Barrel Select, and I've been wanting to try the Cask 16. What other Canadian whisky were you referring to, that might be worthwhile?
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby Megawatt » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:42 am

RogerB wrote:
I know I like the CR Special Reserve and the Forty Creek Barrel Select, and I've been wanting to try the Cask 16. What other Canadian whisky were you referring to, that might be worthwhile?

My favourites, from least to most expensive:

Centennial 10
Canadian Club Classic
Alberta Premium Limited Edition
Crown Royal Limited Edition
Wiser's Very Old
Gibson's Finest Rare

Honorable mention to:

Wiser's Small Batch
Alberta Springs
Danfield's Limited Edition

Yello to Mello wrote:How do you justify the $100 price tag for this at the LCBO?

I'm glad that there are a few more Canadian whiskies competing in the premium and even the $30+ categories. Next I am buying the $60 Forty Creek Double Barrel. But sometimes I am still hesitant to spend that much on a bottle of Canadian whisky when I can get a very good bottle of SMS or bourbon for the same amount.

I often think the same thing. Ultimately, though, a good, mature Canadian whisky can often provide the same enjoyment as a single malt. Do let us know what you think of the Double Barrel.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Related whiskies : Crown Royal

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder