Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

JD and Coke

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

JD and Coke

Postby Matt2 » Thu Nov 23, 2000 10:50 am

Very nice with a bit of ice Image

[This message has been edited by matt (edited 23 November 2000).]
Matt2

JD and Coke

Postby Matt2 » Thu Nov 23, 2000 10:50 am

Very nice with a bit of ice Image

[This message has been edited by matt (edited 23 November 2000).]
Matt2

Postby jj42 » Thu Nov 23, 2000 5:11 pm

To that, I can only reply that taste is very individual.

I prefer malt whiskies, usually neat, sometimes with a splash of water.

My favourite is Highland Park, but there are so many different things to go through.

Islay is something I have to be in the mood for. At times I will not touch it with a 10 foot pole, other days I will enjoy it.

But Coke in whisky..... that is just as bad as ruining a nice Barbados or Martinique Rum with the stuff. Image

I never make mistakes!!

[This message has been edited by jj42 (edited 23 November 2000).]
jj42

Postby jj42 » Thu Nov 23, 2000 5:11 pm

To that, I can only reply that taste is very individual.

I prefer malt whiskies, usually neat, sometimes with a splash of water.

My favourite is Highland Park, but there are so many different things to go through.

Islay is something I have to be in the mood for. At times I will not touch it with a 10 foot pole, other days I will enjoy it.

But Coke in whisky..... that is just as bad as ruining a nice Barbados or Martinique Rum with the stuff. Image

I never make mistakes!!

[This message has been edited by jj42 (edited 23 November 2000).]
jj42

Good call

Postby rymon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:32 am

JD is a great whisky... and one that I do enjoy with Coke. I rarely mix scotch or irish whiskies with any sort of mix, although the odd Godfather (Scotch & Amaretto) is a nice drink on occasion.

However there is absolutely nothing wrong with JD & Coke.. and I suggest you try it with lime, either about half of a fresh lime, or for a slightly different taste, some Rose's Lime Cordial.

Let me know what you think!
rymon

Postby parvus » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:26 am

You do realise that the original post was 6 years ago, yes?
parvus
Silver Member

Postby rymon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:27 am

Of course I see the date, but I just read it now. :wink:
rymon

Postby parvus » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:33 am

It seems particularly odd to reply to a post that was written 6 years ago, perhaps start a new thread if it's a good topic, I don't know :shock: .
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:50 am

Why start a new thread? I think it's great to have dredged up an old one. Kind of like watching ESPN Classic, or going through old yearbook pictures (I can't believe that haircut, Matt!). In a new thread, the second-worst thing that could happen is that things would get repeated, and the worst is that they wouldn't.

I don't drink JD and I don't drink Coke. Maybe I'd like the two together...but I doubt it!
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:24 am

What's wrong with responding to a post that's six years old?

I'm happy to drink whiskies that are much older than that!
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby parvus » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:57 am

Nothing is wrong with it per se, s'just a thread this old and unused clearly smells like a corpse! :shock:
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:26 am

Matt told me off for posting on an old thread once:

Matt Page wrote:
Bottom thread in the entire Q&A folder to top thread in the blink of an eye. I wonder how long it will take to get back to the bottom again...

Immediatly.

Was there a reason behind this? :roll:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:44 pm

If it's a topic of interest (to anyone!) that hasn't been discussed for a while, then why not. Seems better to me than reading the fourteenth thread asking our opinion of JW Blue.

It's alive, parvus...it's alive!
Deactivated Member

Postby Choochoo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:40 pm

Never had a JW and coke, it sounds terrible. However, to be a fair judge, I now plan to buy a JW mini for Friday night and mix it up with some coke (or Pepsi).

Once I form an opinion, I will wait six years, and then add my tasting notes to this thread. :twisted:
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:04 pm

Choochoo wrote:Never had a JW and coke, it sounds terrible. However, to be a fair judge, I now plan to buy a JW mini for Friday night and mix it up with some coke (or Pepsi).

Once I form an opinion, I will wait six years, and then add my tasting notes to this thread. :twisted:
:lol:
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

JD&Peppy

Postby rymon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:26 pm

I bought my first bottle of JD when I was 19... and only legit for a few months. I remember thinking to myself, "I should get something that I don't see a lot of other people around here drinking." And based on the movies etc. JD seemed to be a MAN'S drink.

Anyhow, I remember being rather entrigued... very different from the Wiser's and Crown Royal Canadian Whiskies I had otherwise tried.

Mixed with Coke or Pepsi, I found it to be really enjoyable... and when I added the lime, even better!

I'd be interested to see what a person who has NEVER tried it thinks...

I'll check back in 2012 to see :P
rymon

Postby Iain » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:05 pm

I tried it - more than 6 years ago, as it happens, so maybe I should have bitten on Matt's hook first time round :roll:

I drank one hot summer's evening (on the rocks) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't really say much more than that - it's a very pleasant and refreshing, if you like long sweet alcoholic drinks. Ditto Wild Turkey and Coke.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Choochoo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:17 pm

I mixed Wild Turkey and root beer together when I was in High School. It was very bad, but then again it was also illegal for me to drink any alcohol when I was in High School, so I was just a dumb kid experimenting. I also drank Old Crow as a teenager, but that was because I listed to too many Tom Waits records at the time.

Is a JW and coke best with JWR or black? I assume black would be better in the mix - but you know what happens when people assume
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:21 pm

Choochoo wrote:I mixed Wild Turkey and root beer together when I was in High School. It was very bad, but then again it was also illegal for me to drink any alcohol when I was in High School, so I was just a dumb kid experimenting. I also drank Old Crow as a teenager, but that was because I listed to too many Tom Waits records at the time.

Is a JW and coke best with JWR or black? I assume black would be better in the mix - but you know what happens when people assume

You can't listen to too much Tom Waits... He also sings about Old Bushmills. He must know something.
Aidan

Postby Choochoo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:34 pm

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." - Tom Waits
Choochoo
Silver Member

JD

Postby rymon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:01 pm

We're talking Jack Daniels and Coke/Pepsi. Not Johnny Walker. I've not tried any scotch whisky mixed with pop. A friend likes to mix Jameson's and Coke, but i haven't tried that either.
rymon

Postby Choochoo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:24 pm

Ohhhhhh! I really have to read these posts much closer. No wonder I was confused. Yes, I have had a Jack & Coke, they’re OK, not bad on a hot day.

Sheesh, I would have looked quite the fool had I bought a JWR mini and poured it into my coke on Friday night. What a waste of good Coke! :wink:
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Iain » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:40 pm

Aidan wrote "You can't listen to too much Tom Waits... He also sings about Old Bushmills. He must know something."

I think he sang about Chivas Regal too. Can't remember the song though.

Not sure why, but I can't think of a Scotch that would taste even ok with Coke. When I was young, older folks drank blended Scotch with lemonade, which I've tried and is not nice imho.

I met a French girl who drank blended Scotch and fresh orange. Worser still!
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Choochoo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:54 pm

Here's a drink :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted: Sound good to me! :wink:

Loch Lomond

1 oz Scotch
1/2 oz Peach Schnapps
1 oz Blue Curacao
3 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
Crushed Ice
Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into hurricane glass filled with crushed ice. Top with a slice of star fruit.

For other lovely "scotch drinks": http://www.mixed-drink.com/scotch.html
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:46 pm

The piano has been drinking
my necktie is asleep
and the combo went back to New York
the jukebox has to take a leak
and the carpet needs a haircut
and the spotlight looks like a prison break
cause the telephone's out of cigarettes
and the balcony's on the make
and the piano has been drinking
the piano has been drinking...

and the menus are all freezing
and the lightman's blind in one eye
and he can't see out of the other
and the piano-tuner's got a hearing aid
and he showed up with his mother
and the piano has been drinking
the piano has been drinking

cause the bouncer is a Sumo wrestler
cream puff casper milk toast
and the owner is a mental midget
with the I.Q. of a fencepost
cause the piano has been drinking
the piano has been drinking...

and you can't find your waitress
with a Geiger counter
And she hates you and your friends
and you just can't get served
without her
and the box-office is drooling
and the bar stools are on fire
and the newspapers were fooling
and the ash-trays have retired*
The piano has been drinking
not me, not me, not me, not me, not me

---Tom Waits

*Foresaw the smoking ban!
Deactivated Member

Postby mrt » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:02 pm

The first time I drank JD was today. I really enjoyed its sweet taste and smoothness. By the way, I usually drink neat to taste the "taste" of whiskey, and I did so today, too.

As for the coke&JD case, I never tried any whisk(e)y with coke, though I see it's nearly a clasic mix. Only last week, I prepared a mix. of Early Times Bourbon (the bourbon, not the one for the Us market), tonic water (Schwepps) on the rocks and added two pieces of lime. That was also wonderful and is likely to be my favourite in the summer.
mrt

Postby bjorn » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:24 am

Frankly I think mixing bourbon and coke is a waste of two otherwise perfectly decent beverages...cheap rye or lower proof Old Granddad (86-100 proof) mixes wonderfully with ginger ale, though, IMO

bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby Iain » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:00 am

I believe that Chivas and Coke was a favourite with the late Hunter S Thomson, although the latter may not have come from a red tin...

Found the Tom Waits song - first verse of Downtown is

"Red pants and the sugarman in the temple street gloom,
Drinkin' Chivas Regal in a four dollar room,
Just another dead soldier in a powder blue night,
Sugarman says baby everything's alright,
Goin' downtown down downtown."

Cheery stuff :roll:
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:09 pm

Iain wrote:Not sure why, but I can't think of a Scotch that would taste even ok with Coke.

Attempting to take this as a serious point... Coke would work best with a sweet and malty scotch - perhaps young Dailuaine or Littlemill - perhaps even Craigellachie, although the bitter finish might not work.
Deactivated Member

Postby Choochoo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:21 pm

Yes, Hunter Thompson, along with Tom Waits, another bad influence from my high school days. I remember drinking vodka out of hollowed out grapefruit halves while driving & listening to Cowboy Junkies. Thanks for giving me that idea Hunter - hope you’re doing well in whatever form your consciousness happens to inhabit these days.

Tom Waits does have quite a few fine lines about booze, we could probably start a robust thread focused only on Tom Waits lyrics. If only Captain Beefheart has sung more about whisky, then I could finally find a quote to use as my signature. :lol:
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby bamber » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:34 pm

I used to like JD and coke, although I always favoured a dash of coke rather than making a long drink. Not tried it for many years now though.

I don't like Scotch and coke, but will drink a Scotch and ginger ale under duress. Hmm maybe with a slcie of ginger and a sprig of coriander.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:36 am

Choochoo wrote:I remember drinking vodka out of hollowed out grapefruit halves while driving & listening to Cowboy Junkies.

What an image! If that's not a Tom Waits lyric, it ought to be. There's a song there, Choochoo--not a hit one, but one doomed to obscurity and quotation on the whisky forum.
Deactivated Member

Postby Choochoo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:16 pm

“Doomed to obscurity” – that shall be written on my tombstone.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:14 pm

Never liked that liquid brown gut rot so have always taken it straight.

JD and choke I call it.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:51 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Never liked that liquid brown gut rot so have always taken it straight.

I know some people don't like JD very much, but that's a bit harsh.
Deactivated Member

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder