Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Just tried my second single malt-Talisker 10yrs

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Talisker 10 Years Old

Just tried my second single malt-Talisker 10yrs

Postby blacksabb » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:42 am

Hey all. Well, I was supposed to buy my second single malt whisky at the end of this current week, but I just couldn't wait last week! As some of you may recall, I wasn't sure whether to try the Talisker 10yrs of Bowmore Islay 12yrs. Then when I went to the bottle shop, I found out that the special on the Bowmore had just expired, and so it and the Talisker were exactly the same price now, (the Bowmore was $10 cheaper during the special).

So I thought "oh screw it" and bought the Talisker 10yrs.

And boy, I gotta say to you all around here, "it's an unusual taste" to say the least!! :shock:

If anyone asks me what a smoke and peat whisky smells and tastes like, I could perfectly describe it like this: take a bottle of whisky, add some cigarette ashes to it, shake it up and there you go! That is what a smoke and peat whisky tastes like.

The empty whisky glass smelt exactly like an ashtray, and the ash taste was evident through it, (but not overpowering).

My old man and me drank half the bottle quickly. I have to say it's incredibly smooth and soft. And even though I enjoyed all its other qualities, it's not a palate of single malt I'd buy again. But like I said before, I'm glad I tried it. My old man wanted me to leave the bottle behind, so it didn't go to waste. And I'm having a coworker over for lunch at the end of this week. So I'll share some with him and finish the rest of the bottle with my old man. I have no regrets buying it, for now I realise that smoke and peat aren't my favourite palates.

So I'll cancel the Lagavulin 16yrs. My next whisky will either be the Glenfiddich Solera Reserve 15yrs, the Balvenie Double Wood or something like that (Highland Park 12yrs for eg). Something not with smoke and peat, but fruitier and sweeter.

But I still can't get over how soft and smooth the Talisker 10yrs is. The softness of it is more like liqueur than whisky. It is an amazing drink for sure. As a matter of fact, to be totally honest, I'm ticked off!! Ticked off that smoke and peat aren't palates that I particularly enjoy. Because the rest of the qualities of the Talisker 10yrs are outstanding! It is definately more refined than the Cragganmore 12yrs that I drank last.

For me, it's like eating out at a restaurant and having the most incredible juicy, soft and tender steak-but marinated in a sauce that it not quite to my liking. That is what drinking the Talisker 10yrs is to me. And it's such a shame, as I am blown away by the other qualities-that even trumps such a good reputation whisky as the Cragganmore 12yrs.

So there you go, my second single malt. I can't wait for my third.

Also, my old man's birthday is in 2 weeks and I'm buying him a cherry liqueur (which I know he loves) from his own country (Croatia). After that, I'm going to buy him a single malt of his own-Aberlour 10yrs. And the simple reason I'm going for this one is that it's considerably cheaper than all the other single malts in my to buy list. The Aberlour is only about $50 whereas all the other ones is $75-90.

I'm just curious on what your impressions are of the Aberlour 10yrs? I'm sure it's going to be a hell of a lot nicer than the usual whiskies he buys for himself, and it's a real win-win for me. I get to buy a single malt cheaply and sooner than I otherwise would as it's for him instead of me.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Re: Just tried my second single malt-Talisker 10yrs

Postby d4m0n » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:38 am

Never had the Aberlour 10, but I love their a'bunadh. I'm not a huge fan of the heavily peated whiskies either, but Talisker 10 is growing on me. I don't think you can go wrong with the Balvenie 12 Year DoubleWood, 10 Year Founder's Reserve (if you can find it), or the Highland Park 12. All great drams and won't put too much of a hurt on the ol' wallet.
d4m0n

Postby evanstonwhisky » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:47 am

Hey - I recently tried the Talisker 10 too. I would not take Talisker 10 as a representative of the "smoke and peat" taste at all.
I have tried an Ardbeg 10, a Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Laphroig 10 , and a Caol Ila 10 --- and I have to say that they are a totally diff. taste profile than the Talisker.

The Talisker is more like pepper and sweet butter or something to me. The pepper carbonation like taste by far overwhelms the taste of the smoke and peat, I would say it is a by far "harder" drink that the above mentioned.

Peat actually can taste a bit warm, smoke can be comforting, it is the pepper in Talisker that really makes it sharp.

Try a dram in a local bar - Laphroaig is usual, of if they have Caol Ila -it tastes like a nice roasted Italian meal . ;)
evanstonwhisky

Postby dramtastic » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:43 am

evanstonwhisky wrote:Hey - I recently tried the Talisker 10 too. I would not take Talisker 10 as a representative of the "smoke and peat" taste at all.

The Talisker is more like pepper and sweet butter or something to me.

Agreed (though there is smoke intergration in Taliskers). Blacksabb, give every whisky you try some time, then come back to it unless you find it totally unagreeable(f... it, then try it again anyway). As mentiioned, if you can find a local that serves decent quality whiskys, try and then buy.

Maybe peaty styles are just not for you, if you didn't fancy the Tali, don't go anywhere near anything produced in Islay!!

Every one I know enjoys Aberlour 10, if you like it and want to ramp it up quite a bit, grab the Aberlour A'bunadh(batch #20 it you can find it, my local Dan Murpheys has plenty).

Also Glenlivet Nadurra, lovely oak, vanilla, banana combo, different style to the more sherried malts and smooth at cask stregth. Maybe even The Macallan Fine Oak 12 which is readily avialable in Australia.

One of the originals in your hit list was was The Balvenie DoubleWood, still a great choice.

Cheers mate
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:14 am

blacksabb wrote:Something not with smoke and peat, but fruitier and sweeter.

Hard to beat a Balvenie when it comes to honeyed, sweet fruit. Also like the recommendation of Glenlivet Nàdurra, which is a superlative whisky. Longmorn 16YO is another lovely pour, but is relatively costly. And if you like the idea of a sweet citrus fruit / malt flavour profile, Auchentoshan, from the Lowlands, has much to offer. Glengoyne 10YO is very easy-going, too.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:18 pm

If you think Talisker tastes like an ash tray, then yeah, stay away from Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and Lagavulin, which are another level altogether. (Caol Ila and Bowmore, too.) Don't dismiss them altogether--you may come back around to this kind of thing eventually. And don't pass up the opportunity to try a dram of one or another if it presents itself. You never know which of these just might grab you.

Aberlour is a good representative of a heavily-sherried whisky, generally--that is to say, mostly (if not entirely) matured in ex-sherry casks. It will be interesting to see how you fare with that style, as well.
Deactivated Member

Postby kyorke1 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:20 pm

Aberlour 10yo is quite enjoyable, spicy with raisiny and dried fruit notes.

I don't think Talisker can be compared to Islay malts personally, it's very different to any of them according to my taste buds.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:27 pm

I would agree Kyorke, Tali for me is unlike anything else :P
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby evanstonwhisky » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:31 pm

doesn't Talisker even taste a little bit like tequila - with the pepperyness? Why is it so peppery? ( i like it)
evanstonwhisky

Postby scotchdrinker » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:48 pm

Blacksabb,
I am not much of a peat fan myself. I tried Talisker 10 a couple months ago and I did not like it at all. I have not gone back to it to see if it has changed or not but I plan to at some point. Our palates do evolve maybe yours is still too young for this type of flavor.
But, for recommendations of what you should have next I think everyone is in the right direction. IMO you should try a Glenmo or a Macallan 12yo.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:07 pm

I would suggest you do not write-off Talisker just yet. I really find that the 18 is tremendously different than the 10. It doesn't have nearly the spice nor the smoke that the 10 has and it is definitely more honeyed.

Also, you might try an HP. It has some smoke but it is a background item.

Based on your distaste for smoke/peat you should probably avoide the following (for now):

Ardmore
Ardbeg
Lagavulin
Laphroaig
Caol Ila
Bowmore
Benriach (peated versions)
Bruichladdich (peated versions including Port Charlotte and Octomore)
Bunnahabhain (peated versions)
Port Ellen
Longrow
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:05 am

First time I had talisker it tasted of petrol! now, 8 years on, it is one of my favourites.

The wonder of whisky is that you discover flavours and combinations therein which you could never believe existed. Even tho' they may be unwieldy at first, in my experience there is a fatal fascination in them that just draws you back.

A bit like a woman you see, who may not be your classic "Runway model" beauty, but who has a dark allure you can't get out of your mind...until, one day, you just click, and next thing you know, you wake up next to her!

Sounds to me like you're already hooked on Talisker! i suggesty you don't touch a drop for another couple of years, then when you meet again, it'll be like meeting an old friend.

Meantime, yes, Aberlour 10, Macallan 10, 12, 18(for the sherried style) Glenfiddich Solera...these are all sophisticated, easy drinking drams. i also think you should try Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or, and Lasanta. Agree that Glengoyne 10 is incredibly smooth and pleasant, and totally peat-free!

But I can never forget my first whisky "epiphany", when I opened a lovely looking bottle of something aloof and mysterious that had been given to me, a bottle of Lagvulin 16 Single islay malt scotch whisky. I was absolutely smitten by the unworldly, evocative aroma that emerged from the bottle. Took a while to get used to, but I was hooked from that moment.

Enjoy the journey!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Tennessee Dave » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:16 am

The first time I tried Talisker it was not my favorite. Even now I prefer a sherried malt but I have really developed a taste for Talisker and it is a constant on my shelf. Try as many malts as you can, come back to them often and you will discover which style is right for you and don't be surprised if your tastes changes from time to time for something completely different. That's the reason this is so much fun. :thumbsup:
Tennessee Dave

Postby blacksabb » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:41 am

Reggaeblues wrote:First time I had talisker it tasted of petrol! now, 8 years on, it is one of my favourites.

The wonder of whisky is that you discover flavours and combinations therein which you could never believe existed. Even tho' they may be unwieldy at first, in my experience there is a fatal fascination in them that just draws you back.

A bit like a woman you see, who may not be your classic "Runway model" beauty, but who has a dark allure you can't get out of your mind...until, one day, you just click, and next thing you know, you wake up next to her!

Sounds to me like you're already hooked on Talisker! i suggesty you don't touch a drop for another couple of years, then when you meet again, it'll be like meeting an old friend.

Meantime, yes, Aberlour 10, Macallan 10, 12, 18(for the sherried style) Glenfiddich Solera...these are all sophisticated, easy drinking drams. i also think you should try Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or, and Lasanta. Agree that Glengoyne 10 is incredibly smooth and pleasant, and totally peat-free!

But I can never forget my first whisky "epiphany", when I opened a lovely looking bottle of something aloof and mysterious that had been given to me, a bottle of Lagvulin 16 Single islay malt scotch whisky. I was absolutely smitten by the unworldly, evocative aroma that emerged from the bottle. Took a while to get used to, but I was hooked from that moment.

Enjoy the journey!

Hey thanks for that. And to everybody else. I think some of you guys are spot on!!! I seem to be developing a taste for the Talisker 10yrs. As I said before, I certainly didn't hate it. My only doubt was the odour and palate of the smoke/peat. And now that I've had another shot of it, it seems to taste less of "cigarette ash" than what I first described.

That smoke/peat seems objectionable than when I first started drinking. I won't be surprised if I develop a taste for it.

So, I will still buy another peat and smoke whisky again. Especially as some of you suggest that the Talisker 10yrs is not truly indicative of the smoke/peat flavour. Suggestions? I'm thinking of Ardbeg 10.

My next whisky is going to be the Aberlour 10 yrs, as I said as it's a good quality single malt that's considerably cheaper than all the others. And I will buy the Balvenie Double Wood after that. More people seem to think highly of this than the Glenfiddich Solera Reserve 15 yrs. I want to also try a Highland Park 12 yrs.

I'm not sure if the Glengoyne 10 yrs is avaliable in my liquor store, but I'll look out for that. I'll be interested to compare the Aberlour 10 yrs with the Talisker 10 yrs.

I wish I had left a little bit of the Cragganmore 12 yrs. It would be nice to have a shot of that, then a shot of the Talisker then a shot of the Aberlour.

Oh well...........
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby dramtastic » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:02 am

evanstonwhisky wrote:doesn't Talisker even taste a little bit like tequila - with the pepperyness? Why is it so peppery? ( i like it)

Yes the pepper is very much like a tequila, without the agave notes of course. It's one of the reasons Tali 10 resonates with me, as I love good tequilas and their pepper/hot spice quality.
dramtastic

Postby evanstonwhisky » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:05 am

do you sip tequila? what is a good sipping tequila for under 60 US $?
evanstonwhisky

Postby dramtastic » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:19 am

Yes the tequilas I have at home are only for sipping. I drink those in the same way I would a good whisky, though obviously in a different glass. I would only have something like a margarita at a restaurant or bar.

Being from Australia I can't recommend on price, but you should be able to pick up a bottle of Don Julio Reposado for under U$60, a truely wonderful tequila and always reviewed very well. Also look up the whisky poll area on this site and check the poll on, apart from whisky what do you drink. There is more than one tequila fan here. Also check out tequila.net website.

Cheers
dramtastic

Postby scotchdrinker » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:00 pm

evanstonwhisky wrote:do you sip tequila? what is a good sipping tequila for under 60 US $?

I sip tequila also, not very frequently but I have had a lot of different ones. So for under $60US below are a few suggestions.
Patron Anejo
Patron Silver
Jose Cuervo 1800
Jose Cuervo Tradicional (less expensive but still good)
Milagro Anejo
Milagro Silver (less expensive but still good)

If you ever want suggestions on more expensive ones let me know.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby blacksabb » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:47 am

Well, I have to say that the Talisker 10yrs is really growing on me. I almost can't believe it myself. Man, so spicy, hot and peppery too. It's lovely.

Some of you guys were absolutely spot on, so I'm impressed.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:13 pm

And that points up the risk you take when you decide to play it "safe" and sample a dram in a pub or at a festival before buying. Had you gone that route, you'd likely have dismissed Talisker altogether, and the Kildalton peat monsters that lie beyond. Some things take a while to grow on you, especially if they are outside your experience. My own first attempts at bourbon, for example, left me thoroughly unimpressed, but now I am finding things I like quite a lot.

It will be interesting to see what you think of Ardbeg, et al, when you get around to that corner of the whisky world.
Deactivated Member

Postby UUNetBill » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:18 am

I have to agree wholeheartedly with all of the other opinions on here, i.e. don't dismiss an expression, a distillery, or (God forbid) an entire region because something didn't quite sit right with you the first time you tried it. I remember way back when I had my first Laphroaig 10 in a local bar; couldn't really see what the fuss was all about. I mean, I could drink it, but I didn't really enjoy it if that makes sense. Many moons later, after hearing about all of the superb Islay whiskies out there, I started trying some of the others like Ardbeg, Lagavulin, etc. - and I found that I liked them. Long story short - I tried a 'Phroaig QC and liked it, liked it a LOT - enough that I now drink the 10 and even grabbed a bottle of the 30 to have on hand.

It may take a few weeks, or a few months, or even a few years, but I'm reasonably certain that some day you'll learn to really appreciate the peated, smoky whiskies and wonder why you didn't like them in the past.

As to nice sipping tequilas at a decent price, I've really enjoyed Herradura Añejo and Don Eduardo. Don Julio is also a nice sipper.

Man, it was a lot cheaper in college when all I needed was a case of Mickey's Big Mouths. . .

:D
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:01 am

Mickey's Big Mouth! Oh god, I'm having flashbacks.... Bill, some memories are meant to stay repressed!
Deactivated Member

Postby UUNetBill » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:01 pm

LOL!! True, dat!

But if I have to suffer the memory, so do others!!

:yuk:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby ClubSmed » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:43 am

I have tried talisker 10yo a few times and found the nose to be absolutely amazing, unfortunately I found the palate to be like a perfect malt that someone had accidently nocked over 3 packets of salt into.

I am suprised that no-one else mentions the salt, this is what spoils an otherwise brilliant dram for me. It is not that I don't like a little saltiness to my maly (Jura is a favourite) but for me Talisker has way, way, way too much.
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:47 am

Funny, never got salt at all in Talisker. Pepper, yes, like tabasco, at least in the old days.

Got loads of salt in Jura Superstition.
Deactivated Member

Postby blacksabb » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:57 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Funny, never got salt at all in Talisker. Pepper, yes, like tabasco, at least in the old days.

Got loads of salt in Jura Superstition.

Yeah, I have to admit that I find that curious too. I certainly never got any impression of a salt taste, let alone a heavy one.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:31 pm

Talisker = White Pepper for me :lol:
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:38 pm

ClubSmed, you might like to try the Tali 10 again at some stage. There is a large variation between batches and you may find the extreme saltiness was confined to the one you tried. Tali 10 also changes quite a bit after being open for a month or two.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:55 pm

I am more than willing to try it again, as I said it was a very good malt if it was not for the extreme saltiness. If I try it gain and it does not have the same level of salt that I believe I experienced (my wife did confirm that it was present in that dram) then I will be a convert.
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Talisker 10 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder