Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

If I love Talisker 10yrs, will I love Lagavulin 16yrs?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

If I love Talisker 10yrs, will I love Lagavulin 16yrs?

Postby blacksabb » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:26 am

Hi all. Well, I cannot believe the turn around on the Talisker 10yrs. I was unsure about it at first, now I absolutely love the stuff!! I can see why it is so highly rated, on this site and others.

I finished off the bottle with a coworker of mine who loves smoke and peat whikies, and is a big fan of Bowmore Islay. He loved the Talisker and thought it was the best whisky he had ever tasted-and better than his beloved Bowmore. I will be buying the Talisker 10yrs again, but I still want to continue my journey experimenting with other single malts.

My wife will be buying me the Aberlour 10yrs during my holidays that is coming up soon. I was thinking of buying the Lagavulin 16yrs at the end of the year as a Christmas treat for myself, as it is also the most expensive single malt whisky on my to buy list.

I get the impression on reviews and forum threads that the Lagavulin 16 yrs is the top of the tree as far as smoke and peat whiskies are concerned. Is that a correct estimation? If I love the Talisker 10yrs, is the Lagavulin 16yrs a safe bet to buy?

Opinions greatly appreciated.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Re: If I love Talisker 10yrs, will I love Lagavulin 16yrs?

Postby d4m0n » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:35 am

never had the lagavulin, but i'd like this opportunity to say......TOLD'JA SO! :P

Personally, I'd like to try the Talisker 18 Year or 175th anniversary. I've tried the peaty Laphroaig 15 and have to say I much prefer the Talisker 10.
d4m0n

Postby evanstonwhisky » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:46 am

I actually am in the same situation as you, I tried bottle of the Tali 10 - I've had it a while, and just drank some more tonite. It really gets to be something you miss.
Then last night, I tried Laga 16 in a hotel bar, just to try. It was a half-full bottle, so it would be normal quality.

Personally - I liked it, it was nice and smoky, with some peat, and notes of cherry underneath, a richer sweetness. Like smoky cherries. I even had it with some nice Chili and bread to complement it.

While I think it is a great taste, to be honest, I really actually in some ways prefer the Laphroaig and the Ardbeg (familiarity probably a large factor), which I have bottles of. Laphroaig 10yrs was really nice and smoky peaty, with no sweetness interfeering- which I liked. Laphroaig Quarter Cask had a nice round flavor, but not sweet in particular. Ardbeg had a more tart, apple like sort of sweetness underneath huge peat smoke, more subtle and tangy.

The Lagavulin somehow, seems to have a more aristocratic type taste. It was like the Tali 10, except with a plum red rounder, less yellow type sweetness underneath, and with no pepper, just plumy smoke.

If you are going for the ultimate Islay for some buck wild smoke and peat, not so cultured peat and smoke, maybe try Ardbeg or regular old Laphroaig. or caol ila - very yummy.

Hey, looks like we are sort of a new generation of newbies on this forum - the old guard has gone over all this already, but its good we refresh it.
evanstonwhisky

Postby borgom » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:30 am

Glad to hear you liked your Tali blacksabb. The Laga 16 is a safe bet, just be warned that the reverence in which it's held by most was based on the bottlings of some time ago when the character was more robust. It may still knock your socks off just don't expect it to.
The other recommendations of Ardbeg, Laph and Caol Ila are fantastic too.
Since it sounds like you're on a budget you might like to look at Ardbeg 10 and a few indy Caol Ila's since they can be had here at around $70 AUD.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:19 am

borgom wrote:Glad to hear you liked your Tali blacksabb. The Laga 16 is a safe bet, just be warned that the reverence in which it's held by most was based on the bottlings of some time ago when the character was more robust. It may still knock your socks off just don't expect it to.

I disagree here(in a way). As a relative novice I only know Laga 16 as it presents itself now. Easily one of my top few drams if not the top. You may or may not like it, but as a newbie it will have nothing to do with what it was before. Unless you can get a bottle from 10 years ago who cares anyway!
I score Laga 16 a 95 out of 100 so if it was better than that before, heaven knows how good it was,(well, was it really better or just different). Shows the problem with comparing vintages and what people have gotten used to. Laga 16 as I know it is the bomb and my favorite Islay malt!!

p.s I had never read a review on Laga 16 before I had bought it, so no one elses personal biases had come into the equation.
Last edited by dramtastic on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:23 am

Oh, kinda got off topic anyway. Strictly speaking, IMO, Tali 10 and Laga 16 are two totally different malts and you may or may like one or the other better on their own merits.

Cheers
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kyorke1 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:08 pm

dramtastic wrote:Strictly speaking, IMO, Tali 10 and Laga 16 are two totally different malts and you may or may like one or the other better on their own merits.

Cheers

My thoughts exactly.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby shulaw05 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:14 pm

my 2 cents - just becuase you like one peaty/smoky whisky doesn't mean you will like or dislike another. I too like talisker 10 yr, but do not care for laga 16 yr at all. strangely enough, i also enjoy bowmore and laphroaig, but not ardbeg. i agree with the posts above that talisker and lagavulin are very different whiskies as well. talisker is from the isle of skye (they only distillery on the island i believe) and lagavulin is an islay scotch, so that alone will lead to different taste profiles.

they only way you will ever know is to try, which you should always do. if price is a concern, go try a glass of the lagavulin in a bar first.

also, since you like talisker 10 yr, i would recommend trying ardmore traditional cask if you can a bottle, it is a peated highland scotch. it should be less expensive than lagavulin 16 yr, and has a similar taste profile to talisker. cheers
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:00 pm

blacksabb wrote:If I love the Talisker 10yrs, is the Lagavulin 16yrs a safe bet to buy?

Likely. The Lagavulin is, when at its best, a rich, dense and sultry pour with layers upon layers of rumbling dry smokiness that more than counterbalance the cask-derived sweet mellowness. Totally unique.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:30 pm

blacksabb wrote:If I love the Talisker 10yrs, is the Lagavulin 16yrs a safe bet to buy?

Maybe. Maybe not.

shulaw05 wrote:talisker is from the isle of skye (they only distillery on the island i believe) and lagavulin is an islay scotch, so that alone will lead to different taste profiles.

Actually, the two are very similarly situated. If you believe the myth of terroir, they should taste pretty much the same.
Deactivated Member

Postby shulaw05 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:45 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:

Maybe. Maybe not.

shulaw05 wrote:talisker is from the isle of skye (they only distillery on the island i believe) and lagavulin is an islay scotch, so that alone will lead to different taste profiles.

Actually, the two are very similarly situated. If you believe the myth of terroir, they should taste pretty much the same.

i certainly don't think talisker and lagavulin taste anything alike, let alone taste pretty much the same.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Nor does anyone else.
Deactivated Member

Postby centrefire » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:09 am

Hi

I dont think anyone who ever tasted Talisker 10 yo would question that it is fantastic. I suspect that the huge stills, the small reflux pipe, big outdoor worm tub may have something to do with. I would nearly say it the dram by which all other are measured. In regard to Lagavulin 16, I had never had it and one night I was coming back from a funeral as one of 3 passengers (one was a local woman in her mid 40's and only drink the occasional vodka). We stopped off at a small hotel for a meal and a drink. Like most whiskey buffs in a strange bar, I immediately scanned the bottles and spotted just one Scotch malt "a quarter full Lagavulin 16" selling at the price of a normal scotch blend 4 euros a go. The bar man said it was there for years and was rarely called for.

I ordered one for my male friend and one for myself with a vodka for the lady. However, I invited her to smell and sample a little of the malt She put her nose to it and exclaimed " Oh it reminds me of when I used to call to my uncle Benny's cottage many years ago, that smell of a turf fire gone out". I though this was a lovely thing to say, that a whiskey should bring the mind back to an experience so long ago. That was a great Lavavulin with a large bourbon influence. My daughter got me a bottle last xmas. It was good enough, but the sherry influence was too much. They must have increased the sherry cask ratio. This gives a body, colour and pallet of pune juice which I thing conflicts with the smoke. So I was not as happy with it was with original expression, but some may like the sherry smoke mix. I would rate Lavagulin 16 a little below Talisker. A great Islay one is Bruichalallish 15. Never had the older Talli, its some thing to look forward to
centrefire

Postby djml » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:02 pm

I am a big fan of both, but my heart does go out to the laga. Smaller stouter pot stills in the laga distillery lead to a much heavier spirit and adds to flavours as more evapourating wash can make it up and into the lyne arm. this is refected in the whiskes character as it carries and typifies all those things you think of when sterotyping islay whisky and more - in its own distinct character.
If you like the talisker and its hints of smoke the laga will be a bracing drop that you may love, it certainly is as highly regarded as talisker.
This would open doors aswel to other islay whiskies to explore if you havent yet tried them as well as maybe a higland park from orkney.
The 18 year reflection from tsalisker however is one of my favorite drams and certainly would recomend to you if you like the standard 10.
Finallly check out Diageos flavour map which both whiskys are on, heres the link: http://www.fineexpressions.co.uk/news/2 ... _map1.html

Have a sit down and think about what it is you like about tally 10 and have a look at the chart to help guide you, although i dont think it necesarily gospel
Good Luck
djml

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:33 pm

Yes, you will love the Laga 16! Do it! Just do it! or should i say "Drink it!"
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:42 pm

Just to toss another alternative out there for you, the Lagavulin 12 Year Old Cask Strength (I just purchased the 2008 release myself) offers quite a distinct flavour profile to that of its older, standard strength sibling, yet can be had for approximately the same cost in many markets.

Think of a deceptively lighter textural quality on the palate with great clarity of taste as well as tremendous impact - closer to an Ardbeg or Caol Ila in that regard, in fact - and you'll have some idea of what to expect.

I like it a lot! :wink:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:44 pm

The Third Dram wrote:Just to toss another alternative out there for you, the Lagavulin 12 Year Old Cask Strength (I just purchased the 2008 release myself) offers quite a distinct flavour profile to that of its older, standard strength sibling, yet can be had for approximately the same cost in many markets.

Think of a deceptively lighter textural quality on the palate with great clarity of taste as well as tremendous impact - closer to an Ardbeg or Caol Ila or, dare I say, the old, discontinued and much revered 12YO 43% bottling of the 1980s, in that regard, in fact - and you'll have some idea of what to expect.

I like it a lot! :wink:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:39 pm

kyorke1 wrote:
dramtastic wrote:Strictly speaking, IMO, Tali 10 and Laga 16 are two totally different malts and you may or may like one or the other better on their own merits.

Cheers

My thoughts exactly.

+1.

I get more salt on the Talisker and much more smoke on the Lagavulin. Very different whiskies and will never be mistaken for each other. Only your palate will tell you if you'd like the 16...

Good luck!
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:38 am

Not necessarily. These are two different whiskies and you may find that you don't like the stronger sherry influence in the Lagavulin.

I don't necessarily even love Lagavulin 16 bottle to bottle. Some are exceptional, others are average.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby ajk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:12 pm

I rank Laga 16 in a class by itself and rank all others apart from it. I prefer Islays and after reading much about Talisker 10 anticipated it with great excitment.
Don't know what I'm missing here, the anticipation may have built me up for a fall, but, I was disappointed in the Talisker 10. Certainly did not get the wow factor most everyone seems to hype. Do not think I will be rushing to buy it again.
I have a Talisker 18 in storage thus, have yet to try it. Again, from what I've heard and read, I am looking forward to a great experience when I finally open it. I can no longer find the 18 in Michigan, U.S. so I'm treating this as a special occasion (or until I get a second) treat. Hope I'm not dissappointed as with the 10.
Bottom line - if you liked the 10, you will never go back to it after tasting the Laga.
ajk

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:26 pm

AJK, you could be suffering from "anticipation" and "looking forward to a great experience!"

I too fell in love with Lagavulin 16 around 1o years ago, It took a while to appreciate Talisker, but now I love it. when I had the 18, I was underwhelmed, and preferred the "kick" of the 10.

I came to realise that so much of this was the curse of expectation - too many people and scribes had told me too much about how brilliant it was! One day, out for a long walk, I stopped at a pub for a restorative dram. To my absolute surprise, this secluded country pub had a bottle of Talisker 18!!

So I bought a dram. Because of the lack of expectation(it hd been six months since my own bottle ran out) I drank it as"new", and was amazed by the subtelties, and layers of flavours rippling across my palate. I was able to see it in a whole new light.

My advice is, when you open it, do it with a friend, and drink one or two other drams first, to acclimatise your palate, and also to loosen up your inhibitions a little - your ability to enjoy...and then move on, discerningly, to the T18.

It's great. Probably a bit gentler than the Lagavulin, but every bit as complex.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Whisky1978 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:42 pm

To me both of them are great whiskies. Personally I prefer the Lagavulin 16y above the Talisker 10y. My personal rating for the Talister 10y is 88 against 91 for the Lagavulin 16y (But taste is personal).

Both of them have much peat but aside the peat, where the Talister 10Y is sweet the Lagavulin 16 is les sweet and has more sherry notes. The peat-sherry combo is what I really love about the Lagavulin 16. Recently I've tasted the distillery edition of the lagavulin (Pedrox finish). This version was much sweeter and lost some points in my personal rating (but again taste is personal).

PS. For those who love the Lagavulin 16Y for its peat-sherry combo, try the Ardbeg Uigeadail (2008 bottling). I recently tasted it, it has the peat of Ardbeg but also sherry hints which reminded me of the sherry notes in the Lagavulin 16Y (I was really stunned about it)
Whisky1978
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder