Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie Rum Cask 17yo

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Balvenie Rum Cask 17yo

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:41 pm

I am thinking about getting this as one of my next purchases. But before I did that I was wondering if anyone on here has tried this and if so what do they think of it? I greatly appreciate anyone's help and opinion.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Re: Balvenie Rum Cask 17yo

Postby bcrossan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:40 pm

I got to try it at Whisky Fest in SF and I was disappointed. I am a Balvenie fan and I love the FR, 15 SB, and 17 Yr New Oak and I was eagerly anticipating this one only to be let down. I am glad I got to try it as a sample there because I would have bet upset if I had paid the $125 for a bottle as my local stores are charging. I just found that the Rum didn't really add much to it. For the money I would buy 2 15 SBs before I would buy this one
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:50 pm

Thank you for the input. I was speaking to the owner of one of my local stores and he recommended it. He also said not to get the 21yo Portwood finish. So he isn't just telling me to buy everything he has in stock. So thanks for your opinion.

Any other people had it?
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby jazz lover » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:15 pm

He is correct the newer 21 yr. has a winey sourness
that differs from the older version, I felt the older
bottle was nicer.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:19 pm

Jazz,
Thank you for the confirmation on the portwood.

What is your feeling on the Rum Cask?
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby jazz lover » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:42 pm

I have not opened mine yet.
it's just another bottle in the stock pile.
I just finished the Springbank 16 Rum finished
and found it quite enjoyable.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby shulaw05 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:47 pm

bcrossan wrote:I got to try it at Whisky Fest in SF and I was disappointed. I am a Balvenie fan and I love the FR, 15 SB, and 17 Yr New Oak and I was eagerly anticipating this one only to be let down. I am glad I got to try it as a sample there because I would have bet upset if I had paid the $125 for a bottle as my local stores are charging. I just found that the Rum didn't really add much to it. For the money I would buy 2 15 SBs before I would buy this one

i agree w/this. i tried the 17 yr rum cask at the NY whiskyfest in 08. not only did the rum finish not add anything, i felt that it overpowered any other flavors in the bottle. i also had a bottle of the springbank 16 yr rumwood about a year ago, and although i can't recall excactly what it tasted like, i do remember it being much better than the balvenie 17 yr rum cask (and i really like balvenie as a distillery). the springbank rumwood was more balanced, not as sweet.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby bcrossan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:05 pm

scotchdrinker wrote:Thank you for the input. I was speaking to the owner of one of my local stores and he recommended it. He also said not to get the 21yo Portwood finish. So he isn't just telling me to buy everything he has in stock. So thanks for your opinion.

Any other people had it?

I agree with him on the 21 as well. I just didn't think it was as good as other stuff in their lineup when I tried it. And you can tell from my avatar I am a Balvenie fan in general :lol:
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby Giovinetti » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:50 pm

I have not enjoyed any of the stated finishes (so far tried only "New Oak" and "Islay") and now I am not seeing any reason to go out and get the Rum Cask. Interesting observations about the 21yo. Are the bad reviews on this one only with those bottled since 2008? I have never tried any of the newer edition, by which I mean the new packaging of the cardboard box (c. 2005). All the tube versions I have had have been fantastic! Yet, I was also hearing good things a couple of years ago with the newer packaging of the 21yo.
Giovinetti

Postby delboy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Not sure if this helps or is of any interest, but i recently bought the Balvenie 14yo Roasted Malt and was very impressed with its richness and balance.
delboy

Postby Whisky Angel » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:21 am

With the aim of keeping things balanced...

The Balvenie 17 year old Rum Cask was one of my favourite whiskies that I had last year. It has a fantastically beguiling and complex nose - I could spend hours just nosing it.

I will admit that I am a big Balvenie fan (and still have "emergency" bottles of all the special realeases except the Islay, which is now sadly gone). The Rum compares well to the others.
Whisky Angel

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder