Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig 10 Yr. Cask Strength

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Laphroaig 10 Yr. Cask Strength

Postby ConspiracyTheory » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:02 am

I'm quite new to Scotch really and up until now I've only tried Black Label, Cragganmore 12 Yr., and the Yamazaki 12 Yr. (which I know isn't really Scotch) and liked them all quite well. I decided to try an Islay and decided on the 10 Yr. CS. I'm very glad I did. It's a big change from the others I've had, but a change that is very welcome. I'm loving everything about this whisky: the nose, palate, and finish are all equally great. Adding a drop or two of water opens it up just a bit and cuts the burn just enough to really enjoy it. There will definitely be some more bottle of this in my future. :D
ConspiracyTheory

Re: Laphroaig 10 Yr. Cask Strength

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:07 am

Welcome to the forums ConspiracyTheory. Glad you enjoyed the Laph 10 CS it is a very good dram.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby talisker10 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:06 am

Welcome to a fellow Texan and a fellow admirer of Laphroaig 10 CS! Try the Laphroaig Quarter Cask as well. Watch for the additional tropical fruit notes as compared to the CS!
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby ConspiracyTheory » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:21 am

Thanks for the welcomes.

talisker10 wrote:Welcome to a fellow Texan and a fellow admirer of Laphroaig 10 CS! Try the Laphroaig Quarter Cask as well. Watch for the additional tropical fruit notes as compared to the CS!

I intend to try this at some point in the future. I actually almost bought it instead of the CS. But, I'm also a fan of rum and there's a few premium rums I'm wanting to try so it might be a while before I get to the Quarter Cask.
ConspiracyTheory

Postby kyorke1 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:21 am

Welcome ConspiracyTheory! I have to agree with the Quarter Cask when you get around to it. Perhaps maybe some rum finished whisky would also do nicely? The Springbank 16yo Rum Wood is particually good IMO.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:58 pm

Good to have you here on the forums. Welcome!

ConspiracyTheory wrote:But, I'm also a fan of rum and there's a few premium rums I'm wanting to try so it might be a while before I get to the Quarter Cask.

What are you looking at Rum-wise? As for single malts (other than the Laphroaig Quarter Cask, which IS tasty), the Caol Ila Cask Strength and Glenlivet 16YO Cask Strength Nàdurra might just work for you.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby ConspiracyTheory » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:00 pm

The Third Dram wrote:Good to have you here on the forums. Welcome!

What are you looking at Rum-wise? As for single malts (other than the Laphroaig Quarter Cask, which IS tasty), the Caol Ila Cask Strength and Glenlivet 16YO Cask Strength Nàdurra might just work for you.

The Mount Gay Extra Old, Cruzan Single Barrel, and Pyrat XO are all at the top of my list of Rums to try.

I'm thinking the Talisker 18 Yr. is going to be my next Scotch since I've heard so many great things about it. I'll add those two to my list though.
ConspiracyTheory

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:51 am

ConspiracyTheory wrote:The Mount Gay Extra Old, Cruzan Single Barrel, and Pyrat XO are all at the top of my list of Rums to try.

Might I suggest the El Dorado 15 Year Old as well?

As for the 18YO Talisker... Superb!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder