Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenmorangie 12 yr old Rum Finish

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Glenmorangie 12 yr old Rum Finish

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:26 pm

Anybody tried this one?

It seems to be exclusive to Sainsbury's just like the 15 yr old Highland Park.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:24 pm

I have not tasted this expression, but as I did tasted a Caol Ila rum finish before I thought to share you my idea's on it and hope its usefull to you.

I was a bit reluctant to get this finish at first. At times you think they are going too far with these, but then again, they have been using bourbon and shery casks for a long time as well, so why not.

I was very pleasantly surpised with this finish, it added a warm mandarin sensation over the otherwise pretty strong caol ila.

Here's the note I made of it:

Distillery: Chieftain Score: 7.9 ABV: 43
Expression: Caol Ila Rum cask finnish, 12 yr, distilled juli 1990 Date: 8 jan 03
Price: 53 EURO Color: -
Occasion:
Nose: Warm, mandarins and honey.
Palate: Soft full, and the changes to a bit dryness.
Finish: Soft, then changes to bitterness.
Comments: If only the finish was as good as the nose and palate. It would have been a much better malt then.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:54 am

Sorry Bruce, can't help you with that one, but not unlike Jeroen, I found another Rum finish particularly good.

In my case, it was the Glenfiddich Cuban Rum (I think it's a 21 yo).

It was beautifully smooth and buttery, yet spicy enough to dance across the tastebuds.

I spoke with Bill Lumsden of Glenmorangie a few months ago. He said they are always looking at different finishes, and he confessed that not too many of them work. I suspect that if they are prepared to release it, then it must be a fairly decent drop.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:01 pm

Hi Bruce ,
I've just cracked open a bottle of this and it's a mighty fine dram , i would go as far as to say it's the best Glenmo finish i've tried , being an Islay Smoky fan i usually find Glenmo's pretty boring stuff (they're a good fall back if there's nothing else decent in the pub !) , the "Golden rum" gives the nose a slightly sweet smell (only way i can think of describing it ) , i'm having the same trouble picking up on things with this as what i did with the DL 12yo Rum finished Ardbeg , but i can say i'm enjoying it a hell of a lot ! I would put it top of the 3 Rum finished whiskies i've tried ( 2nd would be the DL Ardbeg and a lowly third would be the not very nice Springbank ) .
A very good everyday drinking Whisky .
Now i must get around to trying Stuarts tip of putting a drop Rum into an Ardbeg 10yo Dram....
Slainté
Gordon

The Club - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spiritofislay
The Site - http://www.spirit-of-islay.co.uk
The Chatroom - http://www.spirit-of-islay.co.uk/chatnt ... tmain.html
The Forums - http://www.spirit-of-islay.co.uk/cgi-bin/talkrec.cgi
(Home of the Un-official Ardbeg Forum !)
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

SILLY MONEY ON E-BAY

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:35 pm

The "Glenmorangie Golden Rum Cask" is, to the best of my knowledge, exclusive to J Sainsbury. Certainly, I've not seen it for sale anywhere else - not even in Glenmorangie's on-line shop.

At my local J Sainsbury, there are bottles on the shelf for £24.99. Yet last night, someone paid £91 for a bottle on E-Bay. Was this just Christmas madness, or is this truly a "rare" bottling worth stocking up on?
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:38 pm

If it was truly a rare bottling worth stocking up on, I can't help but feel it would be marketed in more illustrious circles than just a supermarket chain!
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

FAIR COMMENT

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:39 pm

Admiral's comment is a fair and logical one.

However, here in the UK, marketing an expression just through one retail outlet isn't necessarily a sign of poor quality or that trillions of bottles have been produced.

For example, its not unusual for Oddbins to have gorgeous single malts not available elsewhere. I think that J Sainsbury also has a Highland Park 15yo at the moment.

It just intrigued me why a 'posse' of people were paying so much for the Gelenmorangie Golden Cask, especially if its a mass-production expression.

A very Happy New Year to all !!!!!
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder