Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

glenfiddich 15/18

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

glenfiddich 15/18

Postby lancj1 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:49 pm

My local morrisons have a triple pack of minatures of 12/15 solera/18 ancient reserve - £9.99

I have just worked through each, and the 15 and 18 have knocked me for six. The 15 so complex - oranges, creamy, peppery, smokey and the 18 so subtle and refined I struggle to break it down into component elements right now but its right up there at the top of the tree for me - a big bottle will be mine tommorow :thumbsup:
lancj1
Bronze Member

Re: glenfiddich 15/18

Postby kyorke1 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:00 pm

I have to agree, I was quite taken back by both. I can't say the same for the 12 though.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:17 pm

It really is a tough pick between the 15YO and 18YO for me as well. The former strikes me as clean, subtly complex and yet persistent. And I love the manner in which it transmutes from creamy sweetness to dryness tinged with a hint of smoke. The latter goes down a softer, more honeyed route that's just a little reminiscent to me of Balvenie, though entirely different of course. As for the 12YO, it's a younger, more arousing spirit that, despite not being quite in the same league as its elders, still seems far better to me than the old no-age-statement issue.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby borgom » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:57 am

I don't know how Glenfiddich manage to make the 18 so sleek and sophisticated but it is one of my few repeat buys. It's one of the few non peated whiskies I really adore.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:31 am

The 12 is ok I think, but I prefer the 18 over the 15. I just love its subtlety with just the right amount of wood present. Lovely.

All excellent value too.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby tuddy24 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:01 pm

I have to completely agree with The Third Dram's tasting notes regarding the Glennfidich 15, that subtle cigar smoky finish is rellly special and stands apart from any other scotch I've ever had. I have yet to try the 18 though as I have a mental block on spending more than $40 for a bottle of any liquid! As a side note I picked up the Glenmorangie 10 year and find that I like it more than the Glennfidich 15. It has the delicacy and complexity of the Glenn 15 but seems more rounder and balanced. Doesn't have that great cigar finish of the Glenn but the flavors are much more plentiful yet subdued. Interesting. Happy drinking!
tuddy24

Postby Les Paul » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:53 pm

Collector57 wrote:Don't let any whisky snob tell you Glenfiddich make poor malt. The 15 is stunning IMO and the 18 is damned fine too

Co-sign. Both are incredible! 8)
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby TheTross » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:02 am

I don't really think that much of any of the 12s (Special Reserve, Toasted Oak and Caoran Reserve), but the 15 and 18 are very good whiskies in my mind. The 18 gets my vote though, thanks to its balance and overall complexity.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Some random thoughts on Glenfiddich.

I love and adore the 30. Truly sophisticated version of the 15. Loads of cinnamon and spices but they seem to come through in waves. Malty base structure. 15 CS really is a much better beverage than the 15.

I find the 18 to present more of a malt structure than the 15 or 18. The spices have receded. I prefer the 15s.

The 12 has really changed. 10 years ago, 12 (and the NAS) really were a less sophisticated version of the 18. However, it is a much fruitier whisky now. Malt shows up as a background element but there is plenty of granny smith apples in there along with some melons. Fruit gets it for me over the maltiness of the 18; it's a personal preference.

Caoran 12 is a good beverage but so surprisingly different. It comes from a time where the 12 was more malty but it has the sweet influence of the rum and some oak char.

I really don't care for the rum finished 21s. They're sweet but this seems so dissociated from the rest of the character of the whisky.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby borgom » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:01 pm

Ganga wrote:The 12 has really changed. 10 years ago, 12 (and the NAS) really were a less sophisticated version of the 18. However, it is a much fruitier whisky now. Malt shows up as a background element but there is plenty of granny smith apples in there along with some melons. Fruit gets it for me over the maltiness of the 18; it's a personal preference.

It's the maltiness that really makes me miss the NAS 'fiddich. I wish they would bring it back and at 43% ABV too.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby asliddin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:23 am

fine thing, but the finish is more cocktail than whisky. :smoke:
asliddin

Postby jazzsalt » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:57 pm

I bought the 18 on a whim on a flight and have never looked back. It is a damn fine whisky.
jazzsalt

Postby buckeyede06 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:37 am

I really liked the 15, as with many didn't like the 12 though. The 12 reminded me of a Glenlivet 12. Nothing fancy or even that great just blah. The 15 was more complex, strong and fruity.
buckeyede06

Postby Alan Gold Label » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:41 am

I got that same pack of miniatures. I really like the 12yr but I'll be the first to admit my tasting of Scottish malts isn't that extensive. I've not got my own bottle yet but I quite like it and my local GAA club has a bottle and does a measure for about €3.10 I think.

Unfortunately when I was drinking the 18yr I made the horrible mistake of adding in too much water so I thought that spoilt it a little for me. I lost too much flavour by putting in too much water. I loved the 15 though and my gf got me a bottle of it on special from Morrissons recently.

I've gotta get me some more tasting of that 18yr though cause I'm really really dying for more tasting of it. I think what they did with the 15yr to differentiate was really good.

It's good to see similar tasting notes from others on it actually... I was definitely getting a kind of "creamy" texture to it, even almost syrupy. I've read the bad reviews of this one and I'm a bit shocked. Ah well.....
Alan Gold Label

Postby johan brugge » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:30 am

I also like the 15yo over the 18yo. I think the latter is a bit too woody for my taste. I really like the subtle sherry notes of the 15yo. After all the peaty whiskies I usually drink this is a very nice change.
Last edited by johan brugge on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:33 pm

Yes, the 15YO solera is an ace...like the man said, especially when you're a smoke head!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:49 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Yes, the 15YO solera is an ace...like the man said, especially when you're a smoke head!

It really is quite nice even if you are not a smoke head. I find the 12 very boring and the 18 while nice has a tad too much wood on the tongue for me. The 15 is bright and vibrant with a creamy mouth feel. Quite easy on the wallet for a whisky of this caliber.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:11 am

What I mean by this comment is that some "smokeheads" often are so to the exclusion of all others...or feel that that other types of whisky are somehow inferior, less manly, less hairy chested!

I know, because, I've been there, done that!!! I must admit to a certain ...erm...slant to the likes of Ardbeg 10 etc. which always feel like a kind of homecoming to me.

Taking this into account, I find the Glenfiddich 15 to be one of my favourites outside of this "favoured" profile(i.e. smokehead!) along with most sherried Macallans(esp. the 18 YOs) the old Portwood Glenmo, the new Nectar D'Or, bladnochs, rosebanks...even the totally unpeated Glengoyne I find delicious.

But none of them have the "arrr, me hearties!" factor of a good Ardbeg!

...and that doesn't stop my enthusiasm for the Solera. which I consider to be the best of the Glenfiddich range, with the 18 second and the Rum finish 21 third. All very good.

However, I'd wager that many here would join me in welcoming a 46 NCF version of the Solera, or even better full cask strength. I actually think such a whisky would shade even the wonderful CS Nadurra, and possibly even the Abunadh...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:22 am

Reggaeblues wrote:What I mean by this comment is that some "smokeheads" often are so to the exclusion of all others...or feel that that other types of whisky are somehow inferior, less manly, less hairy chested!

I know, because, I've been there, done that!!! I must admit to a certain ...erm...slant to the likes of Ardbeg 10 etc. which always feel like a kind of homecoming to me.

Taking this into account, I find the Glenfiddich 15 to be one of my favourites outside of this "favoured" profile(i.e. smokehead!) along with most sherried Macallans(esp. the 18 YOs) the old Portwood Glenmo, the new Nectar D'Or, bladnochs, rosebanks...even the totally unpeated Glengoyne I find delicious.

But none of them have the "arrr, me hearties!" factor of a good Ardbeg!

...and that doesn't stop my enthusiasm for the Solera. which I consider to be the best of the Glenfiddich range, with the 18 second and the Rum finish 21 third. All very good.

However, I'd wager that many here would join me in welcoming a 46 NCF version of the Solera, or even better full cask strength. I actually think such a whisky would shade even the wonderful CS Nadurra, and possibly even the Abunadh...

Blasphmer!!!

lol.. I do love the Nadurra and It would take a very stout non peat whisky to topple my belief that it is the top of the non peat, under $100 CAD crown, a cask strength Solera might just do the trick. The Solera is a prime example of a great every day whisky that does not have to cost an arm and a leg to be very enjoyable.

Cheers!
Drammed
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder