Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

My special 'ODD' Springbank..

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

My special 'ODD' Springbank..

Postby photojonny » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:57 pm

So I won a competition to come up with a slogan for Springbank, based on the word ODD, after they had been labelled odd for suspending production for a while. The winning slogan I came up with was 'Original. Distinct. Defiant.'

My prize was a Springbank T-shirt with the new logo, and a bottle of whisky. I was expecting a standard bottle, but they sent me something else! They have actually produced an 'ODD' bottling, 70 bottles from a wine cask, and 70 from a rum cask, but apparently this one is different still.

Frank McHardy has told me that this is from a special 'wee cask':

'This bottle came from a " Wee " cask ( small cask ) contents 50 litres , a reservoir for Springbank samples and part samples . Contains a good mixture of wood types and ages youngest 5 year old , oldest around 19 Years old . Strength will be around 51 % Alcohol . None of these bottles will be for sale'

Quite interesting eh? Pics below:

photojonny
Bronze Member

Re: My special 'ODD' Springbank..

Postby TheTross » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:06 pm

VERY nice!

One thing that I'd be really confused with though with such a rare bottle... do you open it or keep it? Either way, it's definitely a conversation piece!
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Danzer » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:22 pm

I actually had the same question. Looking at the rare bottles that are sold like PE's, Brora and the likes a bottle like this has a story behind it and in my humble opinion is much more a crown in the collection than any "mass produced" limited edition. So i would say enjoy it however you chose to do it. Drinking it or looking at it for years to come. :thumbsup:
Danzer

Postby kyorke1 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:53 pm

Its a dilemma I think I would rather do without. :lol: :twisted:
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby photojonny » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:58 pm

It's definitely a keeper. I'm sure it'll get drunk at some point, but maybe after I've had a few more Springbanks to compare it to.

I've never had any plans to 'collect' whisky, but given that this one has my name on it, I feel justified in keeping it closed, at least for a while!
photojonny
Bronze Member

Postby photojonny » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:11 pm

Yeah, I didn't mean collectible in the sense of it gaining value with a view to selling it. For me if it's not open them I'm 'collecting' it!

I will drink it eventually, but I'd like to hang on to it for a while first, like a little trophy :D

I'm sure as a one off its monetary value is not that great, but how many people have a bottle with their own logo and name on it?
photojonny
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:17 am

Congrats PJ and well done on winning the comp ... a nice little Jewel that you have there ... if it is anything like the quality of the 18yo you have an amazing whisky there ... enjoy it no matter what you do with it :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby VT Mike » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:23 am

I was very happy to come across this old post. I attended Springbank's whisky school in the spring of 2012 and was given a special bottle of Springbank at the end. But no one at the distillery would tell us what was in the bottle other than the fact that it ranged from 10 to 18 years old. I did a bunch of research and theorizes and came to the conclusion that it was likely the remnants of a season's worth of single cask bottlings, all mixed together. The description of the whisky in this post validates my theory.
http://thewhiskeyroom.blogspot.com/2013 ... -2012.html
VT Mike

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder