Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

a wee bit smokier than Highland Park 12?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

a wee bit smokier than Highland Park 12?

Postby NWWhiksyFan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi!

I'm a single malt novice (drank bourbon for the last decade) and am just discovering my scotch palate. I've gone through bottles of Aberlour 16, Bruichladdich 12, Balvenie Doublewood, and am currently half through a bottle of Highland Park 12. It's definitely my favorite so far. I love how balanced it is.

For my next bottle I'd like to try something with, say, 15% more smoke - but that still has a bit of a sweet, malty / sherry underbelly. Any suggestions?
NWWhiksyFan

Re: a wee bit smokier than Highland Park 12?

Postby Ganga » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:25 am

Well, Talisker is smokey but not as intense on the smoke and/or peat as the Islay whiskies. It would seem that Talisker DE or 18 would fit the bill.

Other choices for the little less smokey would be Ardmore Traditional Cask, some of the peated Benriachs, or peated Bunnahabhain.

Otherwise, you are looking at scarcer bottlings like Port Ellen and Brora. Or moving up something much more smokey than HP - Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Caol Ila, peated Bruichladdich.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:13 am

I'll add Glen Garioch 21 Year Old and (should you wish to try a very good vatted pure malt in lieu of a single) Poit Dhubh 12 Bliadhna Mac Na Braiche Green Label to Ganga's fine list.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:13 am

Good call on the Glen Garioch!
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:39 am

I agee with Ganga on the Talisker 18 and DE but I would also add Highland Park 18 Lagavulin DE (ok the laga won't produce malty notes but has tons of smoke and sherry). Also there are some Caol Ila independent bottlings out ther from sherry casks that would also work.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Giovinetti » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:24 pm

I kind of like Ganga's suggestion of the Talisker DE. I have only had the 1992 bottling but I think it would be a whisky that moves in the direction of the famous smoky Islays while still providing some of the sherry sweet underbelly. To be clear, I wouldn't say, and perhaps no else is saying this either, that the Talisker DE is like a HP 12 only with a wee bit more smoke.
Giovinetti

Postby borgom » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:10 pm

What about HP 18? Otherwise the Bruichladdich Infinity's might fit the bill.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:06 pm

borgom wrote:What about HP 18?

Or, should finances permit, the 25YO? :wink:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby NWWhiksyFan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Thanks much to all for the suggestions! I'm going to hunt down some Talisker.
NWWhiksyFan

Postby talisker10 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:31 am

I love Talisker (18, 10, 175th..) but if I loved HP 12 ad wanted something similar but a bit smokier I would go with the HP 18. Talisker is a whole different world than HP, IMO.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:12 am

I think Talisker will be a good triangulator for you--halfway from HP to the Kildalton peat monsters. If it's too much for you, you'll know to come back toward HP. If it intrigues you, you may want to move further toward the big Islays.

Don't be afraid to buy a bottle you aren't familiar with--it's all educational. Worse comes to worst, it's only twenty drams you'll have to choke down. More often than not, you'll find something to like about it by the eighth or tenth, and your horizons will have been broadened. Don't fixate on the destination; enjoy the journey.
Deactivated Member

Postby azazel » Fri May 01, 2009 11:05 am

NWWhiksyFan wrote:Hi!

I'm a single malt novice (drank bourbon for the last decade) and am just discovering my scotch palate. I've gone through bottles of Aberlour 16, Bruichladdich 12, Balvenie Doublewood, and am currently half through a bottle of Highland Park 12. It's definitely my favorite so far. I love how balanced it is.

For my next bottle I'd like to try something with, say, 15% more smoke - but that still has a bit of a sweet, malty / sherry underbelly. Any suggestions?

Longrow. Either the CV or 10yo depending on your budget.
azazel

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder