Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenfiddich 18yrs-my pleasant (and funny) surprise

General chat and talk about whisky.

Glenfiddich 18yrs-my pleasant (and funny) surprise

Postby blacksabb » Tue May 05, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi everyone. Well today, as I'm still on holidays, I decided to go and check out a local liquor store in my own area. I normally don't buy from here as I know that it's more expensive than the Dan Murphy's store in my parents area, where I do most of my buying from. And it has nowhere near the range of whiskies as well. It's your usual small independant liquor store. But I was a bit bored and thought:

"Oh what the hell".

So I went in and I noticed a high shelf behind the counter. It had 2 Glenfiddich whiskies with the following signs:

Glenfiddich Solera Reserve..............$63
Glenfiddich 18yrs Ancient Reserve....$100

I looked at the sign for the Solera Reserve and was gobsmacked! :shock: Why? Because at the Dan Murphy's where I usually buy from, it's $82. So I ask the guy to have a look at the bottle and as it turns out, the sign was wrong. In fact, it was the Glenfiddich 12yrs.

So, the 12yrs at this small local independant store was $62 whilst at my usual store it's $50. This is typical of this local store, hence why I go elsewhere.

So, I ask the guy to have a look at the supposedly 18yrs Ancient Reserve. And sure enough, it is indeed the 18yrs Ancient Reserve. I started to become intrigued-really intrigued. Because I was positive that this whisky at my usual Dan Murphy's sells for $130! But I wasn't sure.

So I go home and check out prices online. And yup, everywhere the Glenfiddich 18yrs Ancient Reserve was $130 and yet at this small independant bottle shop it's $30 cheaper! Incredible as everything else is more expensive than my usual place of purchase, and in many cases, significantly more expensive (like the GF 12yrs-more than 20% dearer).

I told this to my wife and she insisted that I get a bottle and take advantage of the price. I mulled over it for a while and a thought suddenly hit me. You could almost see the cogs turning over in my head.

I thought firstly, that as the GF 12yrs was incorrectly advertised as the GF 15yrs Solera Reserve, then perhaps the 18yrs Ancient Reserve was incorrectly priced at the 15yrs Solera Reserve. Which to me makes perfect sense. Everything at this small independant store is between 10-25% more expensive than at Dan Murphy's. It makes no sense that Dan Murphy's then sells the 18yrs Ancient Reserve at $130 whilst this small local store sells it at $100.

It makes perfect sense however if the 18yrs Ancient Reserve is being incorrectly sold as the 15yrs Solera Reserve. The 15yrs at Dan Murphy's is $82. So, if everything at this small local store is between 10-25% dearer, then it would be selling the 15yrs Solera Reserve for $100. And when you consider that the GF 12yrs was incorrectly labelled, it all makes logical sense to me.

So, later that night, my wife and I go out for a coffee and she insists I buy the 18yrs Ancient Reserve for that price. Anyway, we're driving along to the bottle shop and I keep telling my wife:

"I'm sure that it's a mistake-they're selling the 18yrs Ancient Reserve incorrectly as the 15yrs Solera Reserve. Look at the mistake of the 12yrs".

And then my wife blurts out:

"DON'T TELL THE GUY AT THE COUNTER THAT IT'S A MISTAKE!!! YOU'RE THINKING OF IT, AREN'T YOU?"

I was gobsmacked. Yes, in fact I was going to discuss this with the man at the counter. I just thought I'd let him know. My wife sternly says:

"Just go in, keep your mouth shut and buy the whisky. Okay?"

And I said:

"Yes dear".

I go in and buy the whisky and do as my wife tells me. In fact, the three of us had a nice long chat about whiskies, bourbons and liquors. The man suggested for eg, instead of mixing whisky with coke, mixing whisky with Schweppes lemonade. But he insisted it must be Schweppes, not Sprite.

Oh, and he also told a funny story about a guy that came in week after week after week buy JW Green for nothing more than mixing with coke!! :shock: The bottle shop operator said he couldn't stand to see the poor dumb guy doing this anymore and told him plainly that he's wasting his money. He told the guy to try the JWG neat and he came back the next week and said that he loved it.

And to top off all of this. After a long chat between my wife, myself and the bottle shop operator, he gives me a free miniature Chombard liqueor! And it was delicous, a lovely sweet black raspberry flavour. Very much like a delicious cough syrup.

So, in the end I buy a GF 18yrs Ancient Reserve for a whopping $30 cheaper than everywhere else, and I get a free miniature liqueor. And to top it all off, my wife took the tiniest sip of the liqueor and didn't care for it all. So I had it all for myself.

I had a good day today..... :D :P :thumbsup:
blacksabb
Silver Member

Re: Glenfiddich 18yrs-my pleasant (and funny) surprise

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 05, 2009 5:20 pm

blacksabb wrote:I told this to my wife and she insisted that I get a bottle....

Now I know that you are just making stuff up.... :P
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Tue May 05, 2009 5:53 pm

Must be mixed fact and fiction. After all he said, "Yes dear." :P
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby blacksabb » Wed May 06, 2009 1:40 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
blacksabb wrote:I told this to my wife and she insisted that I get a bottle....

Now I know that you are just making stuff up.... :P

Ganga wrote:Must be mixed fact and fiction. After all he said, "Yes dear." :P

Honestly guys, true story. I was just stoked to get the GF 18yrs for that price and a sample of liqueor as a bonus.

But my wife really did insist I get that bottle. Not that you believe me. Oh and btw, :P to you 2 guys also.

:D
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Wed May 06, 2009 1:49 am

Wow...you have a prize wife. And this is the woman you wanted to cheat out of a fancy hotel?

You have to take care of a woman like that!
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby blacksabb » Wed May 06, 2009 2:06 am

Liechtenstein wrote:Wow...you have a prize wife. And this is the woman you wanted to cheat out of a fancy hotel?

You have to take care of a woman like that!

Hahahaha.........Gee, way to go making me look like a stingy bastard. :(
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby Danzer » Wed May 06, 2009 9:57 am

She's dutch? :D
Danzer

Postby dramtastic » Wed May 06, 2009 10:56 am

Personally I would have grabbed the Solera Reserve for 62 as they can't refuse because of their mistake. That's a fact in the retail world.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby borgom » Wed May 06, 2009 8:57 pm

Which store was this in? I might grab another bottle at that price!
borgom
Gold Member

Postby blacksabb » Fri May 08, 2009 4:47 am

dramtastic wrote:Personally I would have grabbed the Solera Reserve for 62 as they can't refuse because of their mistake. That's a fact in the retail world.

Well I didn't know that. Is that really true? But it didn't matter anyway as they didn't have it in store. They only had the GF 12yrs (adverstised as the Solera Reserve for $62) and the GF 18yrs Ancient Reserve.

borgom wrote:Which store was this in? I might grab another bottle at that price!

Well, the particular store was "Cellarbrations" at Goulburn, N.S.W., (Australia). There are other "Cellarbrations" store and here is a local directory number that you can find out about stores and prices in your area:

1300 665 271

Now, I don't know if prices are consistent throughout all Cellabrations store. But I went back today and my particular local store will be re-ordering the GF 18yrs Ancient Reserve for again $ 99.00. So, perhaps if there is a Cellabrations store near you in Australia, then surely you can ask if they could either order it in for you if they don't have it and/or match the price of the Goulburn outlet.

Cheers.

Oddly eno
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby Swedish Chef » Fri May 08, 2009 8:20 pm

blacksabb wrote:And to top off all of this. After a long chat between my wife, myself and the bottle shop operator, he gives me a free miniature Chombard liqueor! And it was delicous, a lovely sweet black raspberry flavour. Very much like a delicious cough syrup.

That's the thing with "Mom and Pop" stores, if you buy all your stuff there they will usually start to give you a discount. Or give you certain priveligies or "freebees".
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri May 08, 2009 10:51 pm

Nice deal Blacksabb. The fiddich 18 is my favourite of the range and a wonderful whisky for drinking. Have you got the cork out yet? :D
Willie JJ

Postby blacksabb » Sat May 09, 2009 12:04 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Nice deal Blacksabb. The fiddich 18 is my favourite of the range and a wonderful whisky for drinking. Have you got the cork out yet? :D

Hey thanks. No, I haven't opened it yet and I won't for a while. I'm collecting for the moment so that I have enough of a display to fill out my buffet. I have 7 single malts so far. They are:

Glenfiddich 15yrs Solera Reserve
Glenfiddich 18yrs Ancient Reserve
Glenmorangie Nectar D'or
Talisker 10yrs
Highland Park 12yrs
Lagavulin 16yrs
Balvenie Double Wood

And an open bottle of Talisker 10yrs. :P That and some fine cheese go together like heavy rock and electric guitars!
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri May 15, 2009 3:10 pm

dramtastic wrote:Personally I would have grabbed the Solera Reserve for 62 as they can't refuse because of their mistake. That's a fact in the retail world.

I not so sure about that ... all quoted prices are considered offer prices only and it is a private transaction between you and the seller and both have to technically agree on the offer price. Agreement usually consists of simply handing over cash at the till for the display price. However if the seller realises the mistake before you purchase he can cancel the offer price and make another offer price (i.e. the correct one)

It is only after the transaction (cash paid over) that the seller can't go back on the transaction (i.e. his original offer price).

Well that is the legal status on this side of the pond any way and would imagine it is similar Stateside & Canada.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri May 15, 2009 6:55 pm

I once found 3 dusty old HP18s at Morrisons(then Safeways). since they had no price, they let me have a bottle for the price of the 12 which was on offer at ...£19!!

Went back later to collect the other two, but they'd twigged and quoted me the then price of £46, each!

shoulda got all three...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder