Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenlivet 12

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Glenlivet 12

Postby talisker10 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:21 am

I think a most unappreciated SMS..and my first SMS I had two years ago. Having a dram right now. Boring compared to islays...but what a great intro Speyside. Apples at the nose, a little tropical fruit, and then a moderate spicy, almost HP12 smoky-like finish. Good stuff certainly for the price.
talisker10
Silver Member

Re: Glenlivet 12

Postby pkt77242 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:50 am

talisker10 wrote:I think a most unappreciated SMS..and my first SMS I had two years ago. Having a dram right now. Boring compared to islays...but what a great intro Speyside. Apples at the nose, a little tropical fruit, and then a moderate spicy, almost HP12 smoky-like finish. Good stuff certainly for the price.

Completely agree, I am learning to enjoy this whisky again after a few years of ignoring it.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Fri May 08, 2009 5:16 am

I'm not so sure that this malt is unappreciated, at least by most of the members on this forum. From what I've read it's well liked by many including myself. There is a time, place or mood for most whiskys and the 'livet 12 has it's.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Fri May 08, 2009 7:54 am

Totaly agree ! One of the most underrated malts out there :o
Dubois

Postby Ganga » Fri May 08, 2009 7:57 am

Glenlivet 12 seems to be greatly appreciated by the masses but overlooked by teh connesseur. It took me from the time I started on malts (some 14 years ago) until the end of 2007 to get this malt. BTW look for some cocoanut in amongst the apples and other flavors and aromas you get.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby lancj1 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:23 am

its just a case of familiarity breeding contempt. All my life if you got people "a nice bottle of whisky" as a gift it was 'fiddich or glenmo' - because, along with Bells and Teachers they are always there.
lancj1
Bronze Member

Postby talisker10 » Fri May 08, 2009 3:51 pm

Yes, it does seem to be appreciated here. I meant under appreciated by the "experts". If you all you ever drink is 30 year old sherried, and heavily peated Islays then Glenlivet 12 will seem to not have much..but if you clear your palate, maybe not have any SMS for several days and try it again I think there is a lot of flavor there. You just have to try harder to find it, instead of it smacking you upside the head (of course I love the big whiskies that do smack you but change is always good). Another thing I like is that it is remarkably consistent between bottles or drams at various places.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri May 08, 2009 4:10 pm

Glenlivet 12YO is (along with the old, no-age-statement Glenfiddich) how I started my SMS adventure many, many years ago. And like others, I abandoned it for quite some time thereafter as I expanded my whisky horizons. But more recent encounters with it have reaffirmed my feeling that it has so much to offer in terms of subtlety of flavour presentation and complexity. One just needs to dive a little deeper into the glass in order to better appreciate its charms.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby borgom » Sat May 09, 2009 2:20 am

I'll be the first to admit that this whisky just isn't to my taste but I think it (and 'fiddich 12) are bashed because they are designed to be "accessible" in terms of both price and flavour.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby tuddy24 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:44 am

The Glenlivet 12 was my first Single Malt and without the experience I had from drinking it, it's very likely I would've stopped there. I shared it with a friend over some cigars that were maybe a bit too strong but all the beautiful apple fruit flavors came surging through and we ended up drinking 3/4 of it in one sitting. I came back to it a few weeks ago in a restaurant, that's all the SM they had, and loved it all over again. I came to appreciate its balance of fruit and peat and the smoothness of it. My lunch companion never had a SM and when I let him taste it he smiled and said "wow sweet and smooth". This guy has to be the pickiest person with lots of things and the fact that he liked it meant something to me considering I tend to like things that require a bit of work to enjoy. The fact that it was good for us both illustrates the tricky tightrope the distillery is walking with this expression. I'll always hold a special place for the Glenlivet 12.
tuddy24

Postby steveblack » Sat May 09, 2009 9:15 am

I am relative newbie. I am among the ones who hasn't yet found the charm of Glenlivet. Admittedly I haven't had a long experience with them. Glenlivet 12 was among the first SMS I had tried, and was dismissed instantly in comparison to HP 12 and Glenfiddich Solera.

A lot here recommended a second look, and I went with an older expression (wanted Nadurra, but got only Glenlivet 15 FO) as it was in the same price bracket as other SMs I had. Glen 15 FO also hasn't quite made an impression. I am turning out to be an islay fan, but considering other speysiders like Glenfiddich 15 Solera especially and Macallan 12 Elegancia (took some time) has left an admiration for them, I was hoping Glenlivets will reveal its charm one day.

I must say when I dismissed Glenlivet 12, I had very limited exposure to SMs and I see that my preferences are evolving. I just picked up a Glenlivet 12 (yet to open) again and am looking forward to see what it holds now.
steveblack
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat May 09, 2009 10:05 am

Many distilleries have a "bog standard" official bottling. these are usually "nice" and "drinkable" and I certainly wouldn't say no to any of them if offered.
All quality whiskies that are enjoyable. Glenlivet 12, Glenfidich 12, Glenmo standard, GlenMoray, Macallan Fine Oak 10 etc. Certainly some more than others may be worthy of "diving deeper in the glass."

But all have more esoteric bottlings. The jump to the Glenlivet Nadurra from the 12 is quite large. From 40 to 48, or 57% depending which version; a lack of filtration; Much more intensity and focus in nose and flavour...

Actually, it would work well in one session. Start with the 12, and let your refill be Nadurra!

Very different whisky experiences, that's all.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sat May 09, 2009 12:34 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:The jump to the Glenlivet Nadurra from the 12 is quite large... Much more intensity and focus in nose and flavour... Actually, it would work well in one session. Start with the 12, and let your refill be Nadurra!

"Intensity" indeed! What a wonderful way in which to highlight both the similarities and differences of these two whiskies.
:thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sat May 09, 2009 1:18 pm

For value the Livet 12 is a bang for your buck option. I think the 18 is very good but cannot appreciate the French Oak. Like most i think the Nadurra is excellent. :P
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby AdamMY » Sun May 17, 2009 10:23 pm

The other day I finished off a bottle of the Glenlivet 12 (don't worry it wasn't all at once :lol: )
And like many others it was my first SMS, and even if it doesn't have a lot of bells or whistles, I would say it just about always offers an enjoyable time, which is sure to lead into a want to look deeper into SMS's
AdamMY

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder