Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Notes on Cragganmore 12 year old

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Notes on Cragganmore 12 year old

Postby Megawatt » Sat May 09, 2009 4:19 am

After tasting it a few times at restaurants, I finally picked up a bottle of Cragganmore 12. It didn't come cheap at $69 CAD, but I'm finding out right now that it was well worth it!

The aroma is positively juicy with all sorts of mouthwatering fresh fruit. Lots of grape with apple, pear...it's like a gourmet fruit punch, with alcohol. Definitely on the sweet side.

The nose is immediately confirmed by the flavour. Sweet and juicy! Fairly light-bodied, but big on flavour. The finish is drier and a touch bitter-sour, more of an underripe fruitiness, perhaps.

Hardcore smokeheads won't find much to write home about here but this is surely one of the better Speyside malts I've tried. I'd rank it with Longmorn 15 and Glenfiddich Solera Reserve, a step below The Macallan 12.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Re: Notes on Cragganmore 12 year old

Postby les taylor » Sat May 09, 2009 8:27 am

Funnily enough we had a dram of this yesterday evening. It is a lovely well balanced drink. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby lexvo » Sat May 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Yes, Cragganmore is very nice. I feel it could be even better if it was 43% abv instead of 40%.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Sun May 10, 2009 1:35 pm

lexvo wrote:Yes, Cragganmore is very nice. I feel it could be even better if it was 43% abv instead of 40%.

Amen!
borgom
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder