Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Uigeadail

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg Uigeadail

Ardbeg Uigeadail

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:23 pm

Anyone had this one?

I see that Whisky Magazine gave it their gold medal.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:24 pm

Hi Bruce, I had a few samples of it, and found this new Ardbeg quite nice I won't say it's an ace but it was nice. It was a nice mix of 10Y old Ardbeg and some older Ardbeg up to 30Y old, it was less pungent as you would expect, you might perhaps want to call it an allrounder. I believe those who doesn't like the peaty tones so much, will love this stuff. It was good.

Cheers,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby skywalker » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:51 am

I tasted it a few weeks ago and was quite surprised, the nose wasn´t very promising for me, since it smells similar to the Ardbeg10, which I don´t like. But the taste is really good, it´s my favourite cheap Ardbeg at the moment, I prefer Uigedail compared to the 17yr old.
skywalker

Postby Gate » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:09 pm

Cheap? :D Ears prick up at that word in conjunction with Ardbeg. Exactly how cheap, before I rush off in search of a bottle?
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Xavier » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:27 pm

Bought (and started drinking) Uigeadail a couple of weeks ago and, unlike Skywalker, I found the nose very promising. A very rich flavour, considering it's a cask strength bottling. Ardbeg Ten was my favourite, but now it is definitely Uigeadail.
The old sherry casks surely bring in some sweetness and roundness.
Some years ago I tasted at Ardbeg distillery a 1974 directly from the cask and it's quite that same sweetness I find in the current Uigeadail-bottling. I'm quite sure that the 10 YO casks provide the smoky, "seaweedy" Ardbeg flavour.
So for me, the mixture of some very old and "young" Ardbeg was a perfect choice.
Well worthy a gold medal in my opinion !

Regarding the price, well, in Belgium not that cheap... I paid 64 euro.
Xavier

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:19 pm

The stuff costs about £35 and is available from Oddbins in a 'Buy 2, get £10 off' offer
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Xavier » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:59 pm

Looks like I've paid way too much then... But I had no time to do a comparative price study first, I wanted to crack that bottle as soon as possible !
Xavier

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:45 pm

That's always a problem. Some pay to much and some don't. I think that's the beauty of the EU nothing is standard :)
Deactivated Member

Postby Leonidych » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:18 pm

Tasted Uigeadail this week. I tried A17 before and liked it very much, although found it too medicinal. The AU, on the contrary, had peatiness and sherry perfumery (which I dont' like) balanced each other (although less sherry would be better). Also, I liked its saltiness and long pungent finish, too. Anyway, I bought myself a bottle yesterday. :roll: It costs around $150 in Moscow.
Leonidych

Related whiskies : Ardbeg Uigeadail

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder