Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenlivet 15yrs French Oak vs Glenlivet Nadurra 16yrs

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glenlivet 15yrs French Oak vs Glenlivet Nadurra 16yrs

Postby blacksabb » Sun May 31, 2009 2:28 am

Hi everyone. Well, I have 8 single malts now and have just bought a Glenlivet 12yrs, as it was on special at a Vintage Cellars store. I haven't yet tried it yet, but I will on my next days off.

I don't count this as malt #9 as I'm going to drink this one. And it's given me a really good idea. To buy every now and then the base version of a particular single malt whilst I continue to collect other single malts. I think it's a good idea to drink say the Glenlivet 12yrs before I move onto the other ones. Or drink the Aberlour 10yrs before I try the Aberlour A'bunadh.

But I want my malt #9 to be a Glenlivet. And so I was wondering which do you recommend? The 15yrs French Oak or the 16yrs Nadurra?

I have read some good things about the 15yrs French Oak but I've also read that it tends to divide single malt drinkers. I was really fascinated by the description of the 16yrs Nadurra, plus the fact that it's non chill filtered and cask strength! When I read all that, I was really intrigued.

So, which do you suggest for my next purchase and why?
blacksabb
Silver Member

Re: Glenlivet 15yrs French Oak vs Glenlivet Nadurra 16yrs

Postby talisker10 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:08 am

I'd say the Nadurra. I can't say it's one of my favorites, but it is totally different than any other Glenlivet and really different than anything else I have tried. The ABV is very high (nearly 60% ABV I think). It has a lemony, sugary, gingery taste, and believe it or not is OK neat even at that ABV. Water seems to lessen it's character. It wasn't for me per se, but it is so different and interesting I say go for it.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:27 am

Blacksabb,

Go for the Nadurra.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby blacksabb » Sun May 31, 2009 10:03 am

Collector57 wrote:If you like ginger, get the Nadurra.
If you like fruity oaky, get the 15fo.

I agree the Nadurra isn't quite like any other livet, but it's an extremely nice drink

Ahhhh...Nick, I've been expecting you. :D Err...actually, I don't like ginger. Bummer!

I very much love a mellow, fruity style of whisky. But unfortunately, I'm not partial at all to ginger. So tell me. When you say "fruity oaky", is the French Oak in any way similar to the Glenfiddich 15yrs Solera Reserve that I really liked?

I read on the Nadurra about "lemon" tones, similar to the Glenmorangie Nectar D'or (which I've also got but have not yet tasted). But I wasn't aware of ginger. If I don't like ginger, would you recommend the French Oak instead? How gingery is the Nadurra?

Questions, questions, questions.......
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby dramtastic » Sun May 31, 2009 10:23 am

mmmmm........ lemon notes for Nadurra........... ok, if someones' found that, sure. For me this has the best banana, vanilla, custard nose of the malts of tried , plus, balvenie SB 15 meets talisker 18 on the palate. Someone on the forum recently posted words to this effect.... a classic in the making....totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Superb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if you haven't guessed already it's Nadurra for sure!!
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby blacksabb » Sun May 31, 2009 10:36 am

dramtastic wrote:mmmmm........ lemon notes for Nadurra........... ok, if someones' found that, sure. For me this has the best banana, vanilla, custard nose of the malts of tried , plus, balvenie SB 15 meets talisker 18 on the palate. Someone on the forum recently posted words to this effect.... a classic in the making....totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Superb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if you haven't guessed already it's Nadurra for sure!!

Well, that pretty well settles it. I'm going to have to end up buying both! But thanks for the tips guys. I'll most probably get the Nadurra first and the next time I get a Glenlivet, it'll be the French Oak.

But my collection is coming along nicely. I have 8 bottles. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Remember when I said I was going to get about 6 bottles so that I could display them on the top of my buffet, along with their canisters/boxes? Well, screw it! 6 just ain't enough. Hahahahaha.......
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby blacksabb » Sun May 31, 2009 10:46 am

Collector57 wrote:Well, I've read lots of notes on the Nadurra that don't mention ginger at all, but it's what I get.

I find the GL15fo richer than the GF15SR (which is an old favourite) but as always, tastes differ and it's hard to recommend for others for that reason...

Wow Nick! The French Oak richer than the GF Solera Reserve? I look so forward to tasting both. I, like you, love the Solera Reserve.

P.S. For the love of Pete, could someone please post a reply in my thread about the difference between the Macallan 10 and 12yrs? (original sherry expressions). This Macallan thing has been bugging me for ages, as I just keep reading all these fantastic things about the original Macallan 12yrs.

Nick, you need not apply. Hahaha. I know you don't think much of the original Macallan 12yrs. But I always value your input.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Sun May 31, 2009 6:47 pm

Go on blacksabb, just get both 'livets - you know you want to! They're both good.
I hope you've got a VC membership, it's worth getting the points on your purchases.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby steveblack » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:19 pm

I haven't had Nadurra, but if you need to know what I felt about 'fiddich 15 and 'livet 15 FO, I can give some novice advise. :)

Well I guess fruity isn't for me..so I am finding to difficult find a rappo with all the fruity profile drams in my collection; Glenlivet 12, Glenlivet 15 FO and Glenmorangie Original. Of the three, I prefer Glenmorangie. 'fiddich Solera 15 gets the nod ahead of these three.

My initial description for Glenlivet 12 was the word 'harsh', when it was among the first SM I had tasted. I was totally wrong about that. Now I consider it mild to the point of being called 'bland'. I know..these are not very helpful tasting notes. I guess my days posting a tasting note is yet to come :oops:

My lack of preference for Glenlivets seem to have increased since I became an Islay fan.. It is not that I haven't tried. I drink about 40 ml of 2-3 different drams whenever I drink these days. Glenlivets used to be the first dram I try on most of these days..hoping I will discover something new about it to like it. Alas, I never got the craving for a second pour and I would move on to my favourite drams.

Today I did what I was thinking all these days since I read The Third Dram's article on home vatting. I had new dram called Glenberg 10 (Glenlivet 12 & Ardbeg 10 in 75:25 ratio) and I guess I have found a way to conserve my Ardbeg :insane:

Ok I must confess I don't think Glenlivets are a bad dram. They just taste different to my liking. Glenlivet 15 is a tad more preferable though in the way a song sound better on a slightly better music equipment, though the song remain the same.
steveblack
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder