Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

My thoughts on the Glenlivet 12yrs

All your whisky related questions answered here.

My thoughts on the Glenlivet 12yrs

Postby blacksabb » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi everyone. Well, I've just tried for the first time the Glenlivet 12yrs. I thought it would be a good idea to start off with this particular expression of the Glen before I moved on up to the French Oak 15yrs and the Nadurra 16yrs.

Firstly, I really enjoyed this whisky. Particularly as it's actually cheaper than say a JW Black Label. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again especially for an old faithful whisky-an everyday whisky. It is very smooth with zero alcohol burn. It is a very soft and mellow whisky, an extremely easy drinking whisky that you could quite easily finish off in one night by yourself. I quickly emptied half the bottle in no time and had to forcibly stop myself so that I could save some for next time.

To me, the palate is oak and woody. And I swear, in the dying stages of the finish, there is a faint trace of pepper.

I will say this also about the Glenlivet 12yrs. To me, the palate and feel is more representative of an extremely good blend whisky-not a single malt. Personally, the palate is not distinctive enough for what I consider to be characteristic of a single malt whisky. As I was drinking it, I just couldn't shake the feeling that this is what a really top notch blended whisky would taste like. Something like a premium expression of say a Chivas Regal. I've never had Dimple whisky, but I was imagining that it would taste something like this.

Like I say, only because the palate to me is not distinctive enough to be truly characteristic of a single malt. I'd have no problem buying this again. And have no problem serving this to guests who want a shot of whisky but aren't really into whisky. I say this not as a criticism at all. Just as an observation. Because so far, it's the best whisky I've tasted for that particular price range-period.

If someone asked me what is a really nice but affordable whisky, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this. But if I was giving advice for someone starting off into their single malt journey, I'd recommend something else. I'd suggest something like the Cragganmore 12yrs which was initially suggested to me by some of you guys when I was starting off into single malts myself. As something that is still very mild and easy drinking, but having a little bit of a distinct palate, representing single malts.

Anyway, there's my thoughts on the Glenlivet 12yrs. What do you think?
blacksabb
Silver Member

Re: My thoughts on the Glenlivet 12yrs

Postby Minnesota Malt » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:09 pm

I think it is a malt to start your journey on single malts. I would recommend it to anyone that wants to get into single malts. However, I would have to disagree with you and say that I prefer black label to this. Black label seems more refined and smoother, more smokey. To me, Glenlivet 12 is oaky, fruity and dry and I get a bit of an alcohol burn from it. I don't get that with black label.
Minnesota Malt
Bronze Member

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:47 pm

I have to respectfully disagree with some of what you said. While Glenlivet is a very good whisky for beginners but it also is for the more experienced. When I first had it, I got mostly apples, some floral notes and just a hint of spice(or pepper). But after coming back to it a couple of years later, I now also get notes of peach, white toast, and some fresh cut grass. I feel that this is a great whisky for anyone, as long as it is approached with an open mind. I will pour some later tonight and come back hear and post some notes on it. :iwbrnt:

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby TheTross » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:24 pm

Glenlivet 12 was the first SMS I ever had and was what got me into whisky properly. For that alone I always think fondly of it.

That was about four years ago. Since then I've tried many scotches (and whisk(e)y from other countries) and found that it's not the most complex or the most interesting (purely in my opinion, of course). That said, it's a very, very good whisky and one I'd happily recommend to anyone, whether they were new to the game or an old hand. Why? I often reach for a dram that needs no thought - one that I drink purely to enjoy and relax with rather than study - and the Glenlivet 12 fits that bill perfectly. It's what you might call an 'anytime' dram, one you can enjoy whenever and wherever; one you can simply pour into a tumbler and sit back and watch the world go by with.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:23 am

pkt77242 wrote:...Glenlivet is a very good whisky for beginners but it also is for the more experienced. When I first had it, I got mostly apples, some floral notes and just a hint of spice (or pepper). But after coming back to it a couple of years later, I now also get notes of peach, white toast, and some fresh cut grass. I feel that this is a great whisky for anyone, as long as it is approached with an open mind.

After reacquainting myself with the 12YO fairly recently, I'd have to agree. :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:05 am

Thanks TTD.

Just poured myself a glass of the Livet 12.

N: Apples, white toast, cinnamon, and and hints of white pepper.
P: Apple, peaches w/cinnamon, biscuits.
F: slight mango and hints of pepper.

I actually prefer this to the 18. :smoke:

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby blacksabb » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:50 am

pkt77242 wrote:Thanks TTD.

Sean

Oh man, my nosing and tasting profile has got such a looooooooong way to go! There is no way on God's green earth I get apples, peaches and mango. Not by a long shot.

How come you guys pick up all these subtle flavours and all I pick up is oak wood and faint pepper on the finish? I won't be applying for the position of "Master Blender" at any distillery just yet. :roll:
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:12 am

blacksabb wrote:

Sean

Oh man, my nosing and tasting profile has got such a looooooooong way to go! There is no way on God's green earth I get apples, peaches and mango. Not by a long shot.

How come you guys pick up all these subtle flavours and all I pick up is oak wood and faint pepper on the finish? I won't be applying for the position of "Master Blender" at any distillery just yet. :roll:

Blacksabb if you want to see some crazy tasting notes go to whiskyfun.com and look at some of serges tasting notes. He is a great source of knowledge and I usually like the whiskies that he rates high, but his tasting notes are crazy detailed. On the left side you will see a list of distilleries just click on whichever one you want and then select which ever bottling you want.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:14 am

blacksabb wrote:

Sean

Don't worry Blacksabb you will get there, it just takes time.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby anationonfire » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:38 am

here is no way on God's green earth I get apples, peaches and mango. Not by a long shot.

Not to worry your not alone! Some days are better then others. For instance some nights I can pick up green apples in Springbank 10 (having a dram as we speak) and the peat stays home. Other times it seems like a bonfire that could rival a medium peated Islay!!

Its all good fun, there is no right or wrong answer.

Enjoy!
anationonfire
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:04 pm

And no one mentioned the coconut that I get. :D Yes, I do find more enjoyment out of it now than I did back 14-15 years ago. I think you'll be surprised at what changes you go through over time with these whiskies.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:34 pm

Clearly the people at Glenlivet have worked long and hard to be able to produce the light, easy drinking and consistant dram that is the 12 year old. The process can't be simple, the methods as sophisticated as making Laga 16 or any of the other more complex drinkers you could name.
After all they make the Nadurra which is a totally different beast, so they can do complex and powerful if they so wish.

I think the folks at Glenlivet should be applauded for making the whisky drinking experience more accessible to more people by producing a dram such as the 12.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:35 pm

Also, I'd recommend a review of the two Live Tastings for Glenlivet that were done in November 2007. There should be lots of good notes on Glenlivet from varying levels of experience as well as around the globe. Ian the brand amabassador joined on that occasion.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby AdamMY » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:39 pm

the 'livet 12 was my first SMS and I picked up another bottle just the other day. And one of my friends she wants me to pick out a Scotch that she would like, and while I'm still :wink: painstakingly sampling Scotches :wink: , I just feel that the 'livet 12 is one of the more friendly, and remarkably affordable whiskey's that a girl who likes pinky up drinks might just like.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Iain » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:13 pm

Inoffensive?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby anationonfire » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:45 am

I agree it is a great Whiskey to dive into.

I personally will take a Glenlivet 12 over a Fiddich 12 every time.
But they both have there place that's for sure, I just get more satisfaction out of it.
anationonfire
Gold Member

Postby Knolly » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:50 am

Glenlivet 12 is my go-to whisky when eating out if the whisky selection is limited. Sure, it's not an amazing whisky, but it's consistently decent. Also, i think it's the best of the regular range (Nadurra aside) and way, way better than any of the other Glenlivets well into the 20+yo range.

That being said, there are some awesome old Glenlivet IBs out there...
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby blacksabb » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:29 am

anationonfire wrote:I agree it is a great Whiskey to dive into.

I personally will take a Glenlivet 12 over a Fiddich 12 every time.
But they both have there place that's for sure, I just get more satisfaction out of it.

Hmmm....there seems to be a "Whole lotta love" (as Led Zeppelin would say) for the GF 15yrs Solera Reserve but not a lot of love for the GF 12yrs. I can't help but notice that it doesn't seem to be particularly well liked by many.

But I am sad today! :cry: Why? Because my Glenlivet 12yrs is no more. In the belly of the beast, so to speak. So thanks everyone for the encouragement.

My next inexpensive single malt for drinking rather than collecting will be the Aberlour 10yrs. I wonder what I will think of that in comparison to the Glenlivet 12yrs?
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby anationonfire » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:15 am

Yupp I am a Solera Fan! I enjoy it more then the Livet French oak most nights, But pit the two 12 yo's together and it is no Contest in my books.

Going to go Snag some Glenlivet right Meow!
anationonfire
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:58 am

Your observations about Glenlivet 12 are remniscent of my regard for the Glenfiddich 12. Easy drinking when one wants to check the mind in neutral and read a book or watch the game. I like both and think their popularity is the source of a lot of criticism directed at these single malts. When you are seeking somethink akin to comfort food in the spirit world, this is the stuff.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby bankerjoe » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:56 pm

pkt77242 wrote:When I first had it, I got mostly apples, some floral notes...

Sean

This is definitely along the lines of what I get (and maybe grass too). Glenlivet 12 is defintely a go-to, more for price than anything. I love Islay stuff, but something about 12 (I actually prefer 15, but sometimes price is an issue) makes me come back for more. Plus it is light enough that I could drink it in the summer if I so chose. I should also add that someone gave me some Glenlivet 12, and started me right on whiskey (I used to think I didn't like liquor; now I drink whisk(e)y, and am now exploring tequila too).
bankerjoe

Postby sleepypeople » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:40 pm

This is a great whisky for when the right mood hits, and good for summer days, too. Great value for the money, and surprisingly complex. This one deserves respect.

Opened a bottle of Glenlivet 15yo French Oak Reserve the other night, but have been finding it a bit cloying. I prefer the standard 12yo.
sleepypeople

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:10 am

Drinking Glenlivet 12 yrs tonight and thought of this thread. So, here is my post.

Impressions
Too often this gets over looked. It's great stuff and in a head to head with Glenfiddich 12, the Glenlivet comes out on top. Its more complex and interesting.

I like it neat. Water doesnt seem to improve it other than the nose.

Cheers!
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby blacksabb » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:12 am

Now I know for sure that The Glenlivet 12yrs is a good whisky. Because of the movie "The Family Man". :D

Nicholas Cage plays this high flying multi millionaire CEO, that is single. Then, he gets supernaturally transformed into a husband with his wife that he left standing at the airport, when he was starting out in the business world. He wakes up in suburbia complete with 2 kids and a job selling tyres.

He laments his new life. Suburbia, kids, lack of money, the crappy car, the crappy clothes, his job-everything. He walks into his office for the first time and looks at it with disgust. He sits down in the office chair behind the desk and opens the drawer.

And what's inside? The Glenlivet 12yrs! He pours himself a shot and drinks it. And no comment on the quality. So it must be good if he hates everything about his new life but can drink this whisky without complaining. :smoke:

But on a serious note, I do find it interesting that The Glenlivet 12yrs was chosen as the whisky of choice for this particular scene. As it's something that both a very wealthy CEO would pick up and drink, and yet it's also something that a tyre salesman would have in his office. I know this is only fictional, but obviously the movie directors would have had to take these aspects into consideration when shooting this scene. And they would have had to do their research and choose something that would suit both the lower and upper socioeconomic spectrum, as portrayed by Nicholas Cage in the one character.

I just thought it was very interesting. And that this was the only (initial anyway) item of his new life that he didn't baulk at-something befitting both his new life and his old life.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:34 am

Decided after several drams including some experiments to do some notes on a pour of the Glenlivet. Take them with some caution. :P .

Nose: tropical fruits - mango, pineapple; malt/straw; red apples; coconut rind and meat
Palate: Green apples, coconut meat in salt water, light straw, dough
Finish: light, floral
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Drammed » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:56 am

If you are really enjoying the fruity aspect of this scotch then you might also enjoy the Scapa 14 yr at a similar price point (at least around here). I find the Scapa to be VERY fruity.

Cheers
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby 37degrees » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:40 pm

Just got a bottle on discount. Fruity, sure. But I agreee: close to a smooth blend. It's ok, but rather boring.

Same price range, better whiskies in my opinion:

JW Black, Aberlour 10, Black Bush, Isle of Jura Superstition (I'm waiting to try Jura 10), Jameson 12,

Cheaper but better: Powers.
37degrees

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder