Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Just tried Aberlour 10 years

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Aberlour 10 Years Old

Just tried Aberlour 10 years

Postby blacksabb » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:12 am

Hi everyone. I recently finished a bottle of The Glenlivet 12yrs and decided to splurge a little so soon after, and start hacking into the Aberlour 10yrs.

When I first started drinking it, I swear it tasted slightly sour and bitter! I just couldn't put my finger on it. But soon after, that sensation seemed to wither and I just enjoyed it, in a similar fashion to the GL 12yrs.

In the end, I actually liked this more than the GL 12yrs. But I will say this though. I wouldn't have picked up that is was a two wood matured whisky, spending time in a sherry oak barrel. It simply had the feel of a nice bourbon barrel matured spirit.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Re: Just tried Aberlour 10 years

Postby kyorke1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:37 am

It took me a long time to get to like the Aberlour 10. Now that I only have a trickle left I am savouring it modestly until I get a replacement which should be sooner than later being how cheap it is.

I wouldn't say it was sour though, more raisiny sweet.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby blacksabb » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:07 pm

kyorke1 wrote:
I wouldn't say it was sour though, more raisiny sweet.

I would agree. Just for some reason it didn't taste anything like sweet for the first couple of shots. But I really appreciated it in the end. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again, and it's an inexpensive single malt too.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:18 pm

I often find sherry matured malts a little sour to start. then they tend to open up in a rich, fruity manner! "Raisiny sweet" is actually quite a good description.

I agree Aberlour 10 is great value for money. Have you tried the A'bunadh yet?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby blacksabb » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:41 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:I often find sherry matured malts a little sour to start. then they tend to open up in a rich, fruity manner! "Raisiny sweet" is actually quite a good description.

I agree Aberlour 10 is great value for money. Have you tried the A'bunadh yet?

Well thank you for validating my experience. It's so unusual, I really disliked it at first, and I thought to myself:

"Sherry matured my butt!" Hahahahaha.

It's funny you should mention the A'bunadh. I'm waiting for my next wedding anniversary next year in March to celebrate it with that particular single malt. I can hardly wait as I've read so many incredible things about the A'bunadh.

But don't tell my wife that I'm hanging out for our next wedding anniversary to drink some whisky! She's hanging out to celebrate our marriage and committment to each other and all that stuff..... :D I'm just expressing all that in the Aberlour A'bundadh.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:19 pm

i've not had a bad aberlour

the abunadh is great - once i start drinking it i find it very hard to stop

the 10 is a steal, usually its about £14 at the co-op!

ash .
Deactivated Member

Related whiskies : Aberlour 10 Years Old

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder