Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Royal Salute 21 yr old - Opinions?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Royal Salute 21 Years Old

Royal Salute 21 yr old - Opinions?

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:01 pm

Any one got an opinion on this premium blend? You like it? Dislike? etc. It can be had in my neck of the woods for $135 CDN. My cousin raves about it. I had it years ago and thought it was good then, but doubt it is reasonable on any money for value evaluation. Nevertheless, what do you guys think in terms of flavor profile, good? great? outstanding?
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Re: Royal Salute 21 yr old - Opinions?

Postby vision*R » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:12 pm

It's certainly a good blend, one of the best I could try. My parents had a bottle. Personally, at this price, I would definitely buy a single malt.
vision*R

Postby pmullin » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:01 pm

This past winter, one of the local pubs (The Lunar Rogue) held a series of whisky classes. One evening's session was devoted to blends. If I recall correctly, the Royal Salute was my favourite, with Teacher's actually being #2. Although I found the other Chivas blends to be ok, if unremarkable, the Royal Salute really stood out.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:21 am

pmullin wrote:This past winter, one of the local pubs (The Lunar Rogue) held a series of whisky classes. One evening's session was devoted to blends. If I recall correctly, the Royal Salute was my favourite, with Teacher's actually being #2. Although I found the other Chivas blends to be ok, if unremarkable, the Royal Salute really stood out.

That settles it. I'm buying a bottle this week.

As for the other Chivas blends, I find them all over rated and disappointing, especially the 18.

As for the Rogue, next time they have a tasting, I would appreciate if you could drop me a line, and i will go. sounds like a good time.
Last edited by Novice Scotch Fan on Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby pmullin » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:39 am

As for the Rogue, next time they have a tasting, I would appreciate if you could drop me a line, and i will go. sounds like a good time.

Will do. I believe that Frank intends to run it again this upcoming fall or winter.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:57 pm

Recently i had an 80`s bottle of Royal Salute and thought it was pretty decent.( not sure if the flavour profile has changed by new )
Personally its not worth the money,compared to Dewars Signature or Johnnie Walker Blue Label, which are by far better. :thumbsup:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Royal Salute 21 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder