Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Uigeadail?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg Uigeadail

Ardbeg Uigeadail?

Postby talisker10 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:55 pm

I am looking for a more expensive than I would usually get SMS for my birthday. What do you think of Ardbeg Uigeadail? Can you compare it to the standard 10, the only Ardbeg I have had?

Thanks.
talisker10
Silver Member

Re: Ardbeg Uigeadail?

Postby SoMK » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:04 pm

The 10 is very good but, I mean BUT the Uigeadail is really something else.
ABV is higher, you can explore it with or without water and it's a beautiful whisky full of cream, Earth & peat and salt. Deliciously creamy and smooth with a ooomph. There is something organic in this one.
I always thought that it tasted better than it smells but I'll get back to it, to be sure ;)
Sure, many people will surely tell there are better ardbegs but imho Uigeadail is an all around great Islay.
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:51 pm

Sure there are better Ardbegs out there than the Uige but the price one must pay to get these is incredible.

As Ardbegs go, I'd suggest one of three (reasonably priced): Uigeadail, Beist or the MMcD Mission 14 yo bourbon cask. Pricing should be between $80-130 for these three. There is also a amarosa finished MMcD Mission 14 that I've dubbed Peated Rose (has a salmony color). This is quite nice too. I can't remember which of these is available through K&L exclusively but one of MMcDs is.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby talisker10 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks for the replies. Sounds very, very good. I do now see that it is cask strength (or at least higher in ABV)..another point in it's favor.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby wolpertinger » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:50 pm

talisker10 wrote:I am looking for a more expensive than I would usually get SMS for my birthday. What do you think of Ardbeg Uigeadail? Can you compare it to the standard 10, the only Ardbeg I have had?

Thanks.

Ardbeg 10 or Uigededail? That's a no-brainer - always Uigedail. Problem is that once you have tasted the Uigedail it will be hard to come "down" to the Ardbeg 10 again. :P
Or try the Laphroaig Quarter Cask - might be a tad cheaper and plays IMHO in the same league. :thumbsup:
wolpertinger

Postby talisker10 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:59 pm

I have had the Laph QC many times, one of my favs. I was looking to try something new...and since it will be my birthday willing to go over my normal $65 limit. The QC ia bout $58 around here...a really great dram and an amazing price as well.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby slojo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:57 pm

The Uigeadail is a simply superb dram, probably my favourite reasonably affordable whisky
slojo
Bronze Member

Postby Caledonia » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:18 pm

Uigey is without a doubt the best value ardbeg available.... and its amazing!
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:24 pm

The main difference with the Uigeadail is that it is a mix of bourbon and sherry casks. There is 15% sherry casks in the mix. It is very nice indeed.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Holysinner » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:46 am

Uigeadail is the only Ardbeg I've tried, and I think it's fantastic. Tremendous depth of flavor, like the QC it has a very interesting peat-sweet contrast but both the peat and sweet dimensions are quite different from the what the QC offers.
Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:54 am

Shaddap you guys!

Stop reminding me I'm all out of Oogie!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby AZmalt » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:50 am

Uigeadail is among the few fantastic whiskies for "only" $100 in the U.S. Most whiskies of this caliber are well north of this in price, and often hard to find at your local merchants. If the price isn't too far of a stretch, I highly recommend you acquire a bottle. Keep in mind that if you dilute your pour a little due to the high strength then you're actually getting more glasses of whisky than you may otherwise think.
AZmalt

Postby slojo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:00 pm

AZmalt wrote:Uigeadail is among the few fantastic whiskies for "only" $100 in the U.S. Most whiskies of this caliber are well north of this in price, and often hard to find at your local merchants. If the price isn't too far of a stretch, I highly recommend you acquire a bottle. Keep in mind that if you dilute your pour a little due to the high strength then you're actually getting more glasses of whisky than you may otherwise think.

This is also how I justify to myself the more expensive cask strength bottles.

What I find though is that I pour myself the same amount of whisky as I would at ordinary strength, and only THEN do I add water. So in reality I just have larger, more expensive drams with a cask strength bottle :D .

Still worth it when it's as good as Uigeadail though...
slojo
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:07 pm

Add water to Uigeadal?

Cripes! the only thing I would add to a glass of Uigeadal is...more Uigeadal! :iwbrnt:
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby borgom » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:06 am

Buy! Buy! Buy!
Pour! Pour! Pour!
Drink! Drink! Drink!
Mmmm yummm Ooogiee good....... :dead:
borgom
Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:15 am

T10, get the Uigeadail, it is a wonderful whisky with a nice combo of peat and sherry. I enjoy it more than the 10 as I like slight sherry in it.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Knolly » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:57 am

OOGIE OOGIE OOGIE!

oi oi oi
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby lohssanami » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:48 am

Knolly wrote:OOGIE OOGIE OOGIE!

oi oi oi

I agree!!!
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:23 am

I've always had a problem with Oogie and i think it's been the inconsistencies of the batches over the years . The Original in 2003 was great (probably because it contained 1970's Sherry casks ) , the 2005 is really nice . I had one in the Port Charlotte Hotel at Easter which was really smoky and not very sherried and was great , probably the last batch from last year as a new batch had just come out at the time in the redesigned packaging . Apart from these i've had batches that have had a sulphurness to them which is the one thing that puts me off sherried whisky , i prefer the TEN or ANB from ex-bourbon .
I do know that the Oogie is Mickeys Favourite Ardbeg.....
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby borgom » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:52 am

I agree with you on the 2005 bottlings SOI. The Peat Pack bottles of Oogie are from 2005 and they're the best i've had. I also agree about some batches having an issue with sulphur - one bottle I had a few years back was quite "off".
borgom
Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:18 pm

Wow, a lot of positive replies here. Thanks!
talisker10
Silver Member

Re: Ardbeg Uigeadail? i love it

Postby galg » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:25 pm

man this malt is huge.
huge peat,and sweet peat smoke. amazing effect.
i loved the 10 year but this is awesome stuff. and CS. :shock:

just tried it for the first time, and i am addicted.
galg

Re: Ardbeg Uigeadail? i love it

Postby johan brugge » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:35 pm

galg wrote:man this malt is huge.
huge peat,and sweet peat smoke. amazing effect.
i loved the 10 year but this is awesome stuff. and CS. :shock:

just tried it for the first time, and i am addicted.

It's a very nice addiction, believe me.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby AZmalt » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:44 am

Curse this thread - every time I read the updates I find myself yearning for a Uigeadail and give in to the temptation every time. :evil:
AZmalt

Postby talisker10 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:35 pm

I had convinced myself that I was going to just far afield and get Glengoyne instead...something I have never had...but as this Saturday (my birthday shopping day) approaches these posts and the rave reviews I have read online (include some Youtube tastings) have convinced me that I really need to get the Uigedail. I'll get the Glengoyne the next time I have some extra funds.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby johan brugge » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:49 pm

talisker10 wrote:I had convinced myself that I was going to just far afield and get Glengoyne instead...something I have never had...but as this Saturday (my birthday shopping day) approaches these posts and the rave reviews I have read online (include some Youtube tastings) have convinced me that I really need to get the Uigedail. I'll get the Glengoyne the next time I have some extra funds.

Good for you! Let us know what you think of it.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:11 pm

Well, folks, I was just absolutely blown away by the Uigeadail. I tried it with and without water and must say that it is much better without water. It's so smooth I really don't notice the 54% ABV.

I think Laph CS and QC are just fantastic stuff, but neither can compare to amazing combo of peat, spice, and the most amazing delicate sweetness..which I guess is thanks to the 1970's sherry casks. My gosh, just an amazing whisky. At $80 a bottle can't buy it to often, but I will have to say it's the best whisky I have ever had (yes better than Talisker 10).
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby SoMK » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:18 pm

Glad you liked it ! Should we expect a change of nickname then ? :wink:
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:22 am

..only expect a change if they come down about 20 bucks in the price of the Oogie. :D
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Plastiquehomme » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:36 am

An (Ardbeg fanatic) friend of mine brought both the Uigedail and Supernova. My recollections of the night are a little vague (possibly unsurprisingly), but we both reacted the same way; they were both good, but we both loved the Supernova, and thought the Uigedail was a little underwhelming by comparison.

Would this be how other Ardbeg fans who have tried both have reacted?

I admit that it is possible that we may have at some point become confused and mixed them up. Was that sort of night.
Plastiquehomme

Postby talisker10 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:45 pm

I have not tried the Supernova, but from what I have read (whiskyfun, lawhiskeysociety..elsewhere) but the general consensus is that the Uigeadail is better by a slim margin. Of course, that doesn't invalidate your opinion!
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:48 pm

I've had a Uigeadail last night and I still think it's a great whisky! I also like the Supernova but the Oogie has a touch more flavour but if you want to experience an explosion of peat, try the Supernova.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Plastiquehomme » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:27 am

Ok, so I have now checked in with my friend, and am amused at how out of whack my story got. He didn't bring Uigeadail at all. He brought Supernova and Renaissance. The Supernova was indeed the one we thought was better, and the Renaissance was the one we thought was ok. When I asked about this, he said (unprompted) that Uigeadail is better than both of them. So now I'm looking forward to trying it again.

Am left to contemplate how I confused the words "Renaissance" and "Uigeadail".
Plastiquehomme

Postby Whiskana » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:58 am

I bought the first Uigeadail back in the day (2003?) and did not like it too much but recently I have oddly enjoyed Corryvreckans, Supernovas and such so maybe I should try some later releases of Oogie. Although, I have a bottle of Oogling which I am not too fond of...

At 50-60 euros, Uigeadail is OK buy (not too overpriced nowadays) but probably still not my favorite Ardbeg or even in the top five of current releases... :yuk: :)
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby lohssanami » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:34 am

If you don't want the rest of the Young Uigeadail, you can always send it to me.

:D
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg Uigeadail

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder