Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bowmore Legend against McClellands Islay

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Bowmore Legend VS McClellands Islay

Bowmore Legend
100%
McClellands Islay
No votes

Total votes : 4
Related whiskies : Bowmore Legend

Bowmore Legend against McClellands Islay

Postby AdamMY » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:15 am

Now I'm more curious what others think, as I may find out for myself in a couple of weeks. But in my understanding these two were supposed to be roughly the same thing as they are both NAS, and it came to my belief that the McClellands line comes from the distilleries that own the same people as Bowmore (perhaps owned by Bowmore themselves).

As a price point

Bowmore Legend ~$16

McClelland's Islay ~$23

The prices I also found odd, as I thought the name Bowmore would earn more respect than McClelland's which is a new label selling whisky from different distilleries under the same name, but isn't really an independant botteler.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Bowmore Legend against McClellands Islay

Postby lpkchri1 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:44 am

Interesting prices, in my area they are reversed.

The McClelland's Islay is a 5 year Bowmore, and I believe that the Legend is around 8 years. I have tasted both back to back and the Legend is the better of the two. The McClelland's Islay is a little bitter and astringent, the Legend has more of the Bowmore smoke. They are both a little one-dimentional in my opinion.
lpkchri1

Postby Ganga » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:47 am

Not even a contest here. Legend has it all over the McClellands. Both are NAS but I believe the Legend is composed of a mixture of things that are older than the McClellands. The ages quoted seem about right based on the taste and what I've heard discussed.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby lockejn » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:43 pm

lpkchri1 wrote:Interesting prices, in my area they are reversed.

Here, too.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:16 am

What you are saying about the ages is what I believed, but couldn't find any information on the matter in a brief search. But I found the receipt today and it did ring up around 16 dollars. I wonder if it was on special? Its not amazing enough to warrant stocking up at this price, but it certainly isn't a bad dram.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Related whiskies : Bowmore Legend

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder